Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the NT,according to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance,Greek,it is....

2453. Ioudaios ee-oo-dah'-yos from 2448 (in the sense of 2455 as a country); Judaean, i.e. belonging to Jehudah:--Jew(-ess), of Judaea.

Simply a geography address/national address - Judaean...

For example...

Matthew 27:37:And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.(Judaeans)

John 4:22:Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.(Judaean)

Your point?

Not trying to be snarky, just wanted to clarify.

Upvote 0
S

straydog

Read the rest of Matthew 23, it's Jesus speaking about the rabbinical community. Not someone else speaking about Jesus, and not Jesus speaking about himself.

The Jewish communities had different names throughout their history. The first century Jews were the descendants of the old testament Israelites.

Matthew 23 is a condemnation against the ''The scribes and the Pharisees''

The Scribes were not Israelites,they were Kenites....

1 Chronicles 2:55:And the families of the scribes which dwelt at Jabez; the Tirathites, the Shimeathites, and Suchathites. These are the Kenites that came of Hemath, the father of the house of Rechab.

These were descendents of Cain...

Matthew 23:35:That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Which is how they could be guilty of the death of Abel...

Pharisees were Edomites,but no all..

John 8:33:They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

Israel had been in bondage - Esau/Edom had not....

Some of these people lived in Jerusalem calling themselves Judah...

Jeremiah 35:11:But it came to pass, when Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon came up into the land, that we said, Come, and let us go to Jerusalem for fear of the army of the Chaldeans, and for fear of the army of the Syrians: so we dwell at Jerusalem.

These were the ones who followed the Tradition of the elders(Judaism)

Matthew 15:2:Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

Matthew 16:6:Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Matthew 16:12:Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Jews were not descendents of Israelites,in the NT - it is Judaean....

Matthew 15:24:But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Jesus stated he came for Israel,it does not state he came for the Jews....

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthew 23 is a condemnation against the ''The scribes and the Pharisees''

The Scribes were not Israelites,they were Kenites....

1 Chronicles 2:55:And the families of the scribes which dwelt at Jabez; the Tirathites, the Shimeathites, and Suchathites. These are the Kenites that came of Hemath, the father of the house of Rechab.

These were descendents of Cain...

Matthew 23:35:That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Which is how they could be guilty of the death of Abel...

Pharisees were Edomites,but no all..

John 8:33:They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

Israel had been in bondage - Esau/Edom had not....

Some of these people lived in Jerusalem calling themselves Judah...

Jeremiah 35:11:But it came to pass, when Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon came up into the land, that we said, Come, and let us go to Jerusalem for fear of the army of the Chaldeans, and for fear of the army of the Syrians: so we dwell at Jerusalem.

These were the ones who followed the Tradition of the elders(Judaism)

Matthew 15:2:Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

Matthew 16:6:Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Matthew 16:12:Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Jews were not descendents of Israelites,in the NT - it is Judaean....

Matthew 15:24:But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Jesus stated he came for Israel,it does not state he came for the Jews....

That doesn't change the fact that in verse 8 Jesus is telling his disciples he's not to refer to them (the Pharisees) as "Rabbi", he's not talking about himself.

Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi, descended from Abraham and David the fathers of the Israelites and thus the Jews. He's referred to on many occasions throughout the Scriptures as "Rabbi" denoting his role in the Jewish faith.

Upvote 0
S

straydog

That doesn't change the fact that in verse 8 Jesus is telling his disciples he's not to refer to them (the Pharisees) as "Rabbi", he's not talking about himself.

Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi, descended from Abraham and David the fathers of the Israelites and thus the Jews. He's referred to on many occasions throughout the Scriptures as "Rabbi" denoting his role in the Jewish faith.

Since when do Christians call Jesus Rabbi?

Rabbi is equivalent to teacher...

Matthew 23:8:But you are not to be called rabbi (teacher), for you have one Teacher and you are all brothers.

- Amplified Bible

Abraham was not a Jew,David was not a Jew - they are not referred to as Jews,they are not referred to as Jewish either....

Jesus was not Jewish otherwise he would have followed the Tradition of the Elders,which he clearly DID NOT!

Jesus is not referred to as been an adherent of the Jewish Faith....

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
straydog said:
Since when do Christians call Jesus Rabbi?

That's not the point. Jesus wasn't a Christian, Christianity wasn't around yet. It was later at Antioch that "Christian" was first used.

and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch. (Acts 11:26 NIV)

straydog said:
Rabbi is equivalent to teacher...

Matthew 23:8:But you are not to be called rabbi (teacher), for you have one Teacher and you are all brothers.

- Amplified Bible

Why are you reposting this? We've already established that Christ is not the one being addressed, therefore it has no relevance to what he was.

straydog said:
Abraham was not a Jew,David was not a Jew - they are not referred to as Jews,they are not referred to as Jewish either....

Jesus was not Jewish otherwise he would have followed the Tradition of the Elders,which he clearly DID NOT!

Abraham wasn't a Jew because the Jewish faith hadn't been established yet, he was however the father of who would eventually become the Israelites and subsequently the Jews.

David was a Jew, just like everyone else in Israel at his time. They were living under the law, his son Solomon built a glorious temple as part of their Jewish faith for God to dwell in.

straydog said:

Jesus is not referred to as been an adherent of the Jewish Faith....

That's because it goes without saying. The entire bible is about the history of the Jews/Israelites, written by Jews. Christianity was birthed out of Judaism.

Elementary.

Upvote 0
S

straydog

That's not the point. Jesus wasn't a Christian, Christianity wasn't around yet. It was later at Antioch that "Christian" was first used.

and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch. (Acts 11:26 NIV)

Why are you reposting this? We've already established that Christ is not the one being addressed, therefore it has no relevance to what he was.

Abraham wasn't a Jew because the Jewish faith hadn't been established yet, he was however the father of who would eventually become the Israelites and subsequently the Jews.

David was a Jew, just like everyone else in Israel at his time. They were living under the law, his son Solomon built a glorious temple as part of their Jewish faith for God to dwell in.

That's because it goes without saying. The entire bible is about the history of the Jews/Israelites, written by Jews. Christianity was birthed out of Judaism.

Elementary.

If Rabbi meant teacher...figure it out!!!!

Judaism came from Babylon. - It was the Tradition of the Elders
Why would Jesus follow something formed in Babylon????
How are Jews,Israelites????
When did Israel become the Jews????
The word Jew was added in to the Bible in the 18th Century revisions...
Jew/s is defined in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance as Judaean(Geography/national title)

Where is David referred to as a Jew????

Jew and Israel are not used Interchangeably in the Pentateuch....

The first time it is mentioned Israel is making war with the JEWS!!!!!

2 Kings 16:5:Then Rezin king of Syria and Pekah son of Remaliah king of Israel came up to Jerusalem to war: and they besieged Ahaz, but could not overcome him.

2 Kings 16:6:At that time Rezin king of Syria recovered Elath to Syria, and drave the Jews from Elath: and the Syrians came to Elath, and dwelt there unto this day.

Christianity did not come from Judaism...your basically saying Christianity is a hybrid Religion...that it has no foundations for itself....and that both Religions are similar - WHICH THEY ARE NOT!
Jesus is not referred to as Jew and the Apostles are not referred to as Jews,or for that matter,Jewish....

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If Rabbi meant teacher...figure it out!!!!

Judaism came from Babylon. - It was the Tradition of the Elders
Why would Jesus follow something formed in Babylon????
How are Jews,Israelites????
When did Israel become the Jews????
The word Jew was added in to the Bible in the 18th Century revisions...
Jew/s is defined in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance as Judaean(Geography/national title)

Where is David referred to as a Jew????

Jew and Israel are not used Interchangeably in the Pentateuch....

The first time it is mentioned Israel is making war with the JEWS!!!!!

2 Kings 16:5:Then Rezin king of Syria and Pekah son of Remaliah king of Israel came up to Jerusalem to war: and they besieged Ahaz, but could not overcome him.

2 Kings 16:6:At that time Rezin king of Syria recovered Elath to Syria, and drave the Jews from Elath: and the Syrians came to Elath, and dwelt there unto this day.

Christianity did not come from Judaism...your basically saying Christianity is a hybrid Religion...that it has no foundations for itself....and that both Religions are similar - WHICH THEY ARE NOT!
Jesus is not referred to as Jew and the Apostles are not referred to as Jews,or for that matter,Jewish....

Your whole argument is a fallacy of denying the antecedent. I challenge you to produce credible sources that confirm that the Jews of Jesus' day were not the descendents of the Patriarchs and the Israelites, and that Jesus wasn't a Jewish Rabbi (yes a teacher, however "Rabbi" is a name exclusive to Jewish teachers).

"Judaism is considered by religious Jews to be the expression of the covenantal relationship God developed with the Children of Israel."

"Judaism is the world’s oldest monotheistic faith. The first five books of the Hebrew scriptures (Torah) relate foundational narratives including God’s covenant with Abraham and his descendants, the exodus from Egypt and revelation of God’s law under Moses, the construction of the first Temple in Jerusalem under King Solomon, and the reign of King David. "

http://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/resources/traditions/judaism

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

straydog

Your whole argument is a fallacy of denying the antecedent. I challenge you to produce credible sources that confirm that the Jews of Jesus' day were not the descendents of the Patriarchs and the Israelites, and that Jesus wasn't a Jewish Rabbi (yes a teacher, however "Rabbi" is a name exclusive to Jewish teachers).

"Judaism is considered by religious Jews to be the expression of the covenantal relationship God developed with the Children of Israel."

"Judaism is the world’s oldest monotheistic faith. The first five books of the Hebrew scriptures (Torah) relate foundational narratives including God’s covenant with Abraham and his descendants, the exodus from Egypt and revelation of God’s law under Moses, the construction of the first Temple in Jerusalem under King Solomon, and the reign of King David. "

Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs | Georgetown University

M
Most people also presume that the Jews believe in the first five books of the Bible (the Torah) and that they read and study those books. The fact is that at the time of Christ some may have done so but today some may but many do not. Several years ago there were three rabbis being interviewed on Television. I don't remember their positions but they were important leaders. They were asked about the first five books of the Bible and the response from one of these individuals was:

"I have never read the first five books of the Bible and I don't know any important Jew who has."

- Judeo Christianity (Hallstrom)

"JUDAISM, The religion of the Jewish people, began with the restoration of the religion of ancient Israel after the Babylonian exile... It took over a body of teachings contained in the sacred scriptures. The Torah, or Law, was accepted as the guiding rule of life. The ritual of ceremony and of sacrifice became a holy memory, and in their place was offered a reinterpretation of the theological ideas and instructions of the past in the light of the teachings of the prophets." National Encyclopedia, Vol 6, p. 21

"Properly speaking, Judaism ought to be regarded as beginning with the Babylonian exile." Zondervan's, supra, vol 3, p. 727

the late Stephen Wise, who, as a chief Rabbi of the United States, once stated:

"The return from Babylon, and the adoption of the Babylonian Talmud, marks the end of Hebrewism, and the beginning of Judaism."

Rabbi Ben Zion Bokser wrote, "This is not an uncommon impression and one finds it sometimes among Jews as well as Christians - that Judaism is the religion of the Hebrew Bible. It is, of course, a fallacious impression. . . Judaism is not the religion of the Bible" (Judaism and the Christian Predicament, New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1967, p. 59).

Rabbi Moshe M. Maggal, President, National Jewish Information Service wrote: ". . . you will notice the great difference between the Jewish and Christian religions. But these are not all. We consider the two religions so different that one excludes the other. . . we emphasized that there is no such thing as a Judeo-Christian religion. . . . There is not any similarity between the two concepts" (Letter of August 21, 1961).

The London Jewish World of March 15, 1923 declared: "Fundamentally, Judaism is anti-Christian."

As for Jews been descended from Patriarchs - where does it state that in the NT?

Upvote 0

Humble Pie

Veteran
Jan 25, 2012
✟18,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Today I learned that apparently every race seems to imagine him as a member of said race. For example we often tend to imagine him as white as for chinese christians imagine him as a chinese and africans as a black. In isahia 53:2 it also says he'd be "no beauty that we should desire him".

what do you think he looked like?​

I'm sure Jesus was brown with black hair and brown eyes. When I was little I had a vision (really a daydream) of Jesus and even though I thought Jesus was the hippy looking white guy in the pictures, this Jesus in my vision had brown skin, long curly black hair and a head band of gold jewels dangling down his forehead. He was very handsome :)

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does Jesus call himself a Jew,or Jewish?

John 4:

"Jesus declared, “Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews."

The Jews seemed to think Jesus was a Jew - they wouldn't have had any right to bring blasphemy charges against a Gentile. Pilate seemed to think he was a Jew, too:

"So Pilate came out to them and asked, “What charges are you bringing against this man?” “If he were not a criminal,” they replied, “we would not have handed him over to you.”
Pilate said, “Take him yourselves and judge him by your own law.”
“But we have no right to execute anyone,” the Jews objected. This happened so that the words Jesus had spoken indicating the kind of death he was going to die would be fulfilled.
Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?”
“Is that your own idea,” Jesus asked, “or did others talk to you about me?”
“Am I a Jew?” Pilate replied. “It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?” (John 18)

The Samaritan woman seemed to think he was a Jew:

"The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)" (John 4)

Peter was a Jew:

"When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?" (Gal 2)

Paul was a Jew:

"Paul answered, "I am a Jew, from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no ordinary city. Please let me speak to the people." (Acts 21)

Upvote 0

okiemom79

May 20, 2012
Oklahoma
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today I learned that apparently every race seems to imagine him as a member of said race. For example we often tend to imagine him as white as for chinese christians imagine him as a chinese and africans as a black. In isahia 53:2 it also says he'd be "no beauty that we should desire him".
what do you think he looked like?

I have not read through all the post so I could very well be repeating what someone else has wrote. I have often wondered what Jesus looked like myself. I read something somewhere about why were there not any paintings of Jesus from his time and it was said that possibly because in Jewish society it was never customary to paint portraits and that even if they had drawn him these painting probably would not have survived from that time, also it is said that it is unlikely that we would be able to point Jesus out if we were to see a painting from that time and him actually be in the painting, say among other Jews, because he would more than likely blend with the Gentiles.

Also something to think about when addressing the drawing of Jesus, or painting..since it was not custom for Jews to do so along with Jesus not being what some would call 'a hit' among many people, why would anyone have drawn him where such a drawing would be documented? I believe that if regular people who knew Jesus and believed he was the son of God and had access to draw probably did draw him in private for themselves.

Ok, I rambled a bit but to answer your question I feel Jesus looked like what other Jewish men from that time looked like. I am sure you have seen the painting where the young girl, Akiane Kramarik, said she had a vision and this is what she said Jesus looks like? Many dispute this because they say that Jesus would not have had that eye color. But seriously, who knows (the painting is really awesome though) :)

Upvote 0