What denominations have Communes and what do you think about them?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some things I hear and don't quite understand. Is for some communes if you leave them you are not welcomed back and if you are you are treated never the same. You will eat lunch at a table alone, maybe you can sit with your family but with no one else. And you might not be allowed to the families funeral.

I don't know if all communes are that way, but it's just what I hear.

This has nothing to do with being banned or banished, only those who leave on their own and then realize they want to come back to the community.

Maybe I am not getting the whole story. I understand banned and banishment for those who break rules.

What other groups have communes. And what do you think about them.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I belonged to a "commune." Actually, it was a "Jesus House." It was the mid-70s while the Jesus Movement was still going.
We had no such rules. People come and go as they wish. People were required to contribute to the house if they stayed there.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Some things I hear and don't quite understand. Is for some communes if you leave them you are not welcomed back and if you are you are treated never the same. You will eat lunch at a table alone, maybe you can sit with your family but with no one else. And you might not be allowed to the families funeral.

I don't know if all communes are that way, but it's just what I hear.

This has nothing to do with being banned or banished, only those who leave on their own and then realize they want to come back to the community.

Maybe I am not getting the whole story. I understand banned and banishment for those who break rules.

What other groups have communes. And what do you think about them.
The monastic tradition within Catholicism and Orthodoxy was and still is communal. They usually have some sort of prior or prioress, often democratically elected, to lead them and a rule to follow, such as the 'Rule of St. Benedict'. They are not big into banishment or shunning as far as I know. Some of the communities have been stable over a thousand years.

Upvote 0