Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I just watched an infomercial about clef lip / Palette repair in 3rd world countries. I actually shed a few tears about how sad mothers are when doctors tell them there aren't enough funds available to perform their child's surgery. :sweat:

So my vote for top charity is:

Donate now to support Operation Smile

...For $240. I can change a child's entire life.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, I just watched an infomercial about clef lip / Palette repair in 3rd world countries. I actually shed a few tears about how sad mothers are when doctors tell them there aren't enough funds available to perform their child's surgery. :sweat:

So my vote for top charity is:

Donate now to support Operation Smile

...For $240. I can change a child's entire life.

I give mostly to charities associated with my denomination, or, other charities they endorse.

I also hold the Salvation Army in high regard, and give to them during the advent season.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My favorite "charity" is GiveDirectly. My money goes straight to the person in need. In an age of technology, I see no better way. No paternal middle man.

GiveDirectly: Now responding to Covid-19

That being said, my favorite charitable acts are those that just happen. Someone is in need, e.g. house burns down, and folks dig deep to help. Usually, it's local and the person(s) is known. So, the sense of community and care comes through and really makes a difference. I love that.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This Forbes article suggests a number of websites which assess US charities on a variety of criteria including things like costs of fundraising and proportions of funds spent on admin.
3 Websites To Check To Be Informed Before Giving To Charity (forbes.com)

The listed websites (plus the IRS charity listing) are:
I also found this list interesting.
The 50 Worst Charities in America- How to Keep from Being Scammed | SmartAsset

Its based on a detailed investigation conducted by the Tampa Bay Times and the Centre For Investigative Reporting in 2013.
America's 50 worst charities rake in nearly $1 billion for corporate fundraisers (tampabay.com)

OB

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
  • Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I vary our contributions each year. We give to some causes one year, and to others the next. These have all been beneficiaries of our donations. My wife is an animal lover, so those charities are high on the list. But we also donate to medical education and artistic endeavors:

The Nature Conservancy (both the national and state)
The ASPCA
Our local Humane Society (including the farm animal rescue ranch)
Defenders of Wildlife
International Fund for Animal Welfare
Our local zoo
The National Aviary
My university's medical school and our local medical school
Our local art museum
Our local live theater and opera companies
Our local symphony orchestra

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,788.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I like giving to our churches' soup kitchen lunch program we have in our down town core. Actually I work there are a volunteer once or twice a week. You might find giving to a similar thing in your town or city a very rewarding thing. Here's the thing I found with many....they'd love to be a giver to charities but nothing makes them feel better to know the people in their town are being helped by what they give.

They can see where the money and not just money but resources is going and they like that. Even our municipal government has got involved to help in upgrading our kitchen as even they like to have a part in supporting the needy in the community. You might find especially if you're retired seeking out a similar type of work and volunteering will bring you great joy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My favorite "charity" is GiveDirectly. My money goes straight to the person in need. In an age of technology, I see no better way. No paternal middle man.

GiveDirectly: Now responding to Covid-19

That being said, my favorite charitable acts are those that just happen. Someone is in need, e.g. house burns down, and folks dig deep to help. Usually, it's local and the person(s) is known. So, the sense of community and care comes through and really makes a difference. I love that.
Thx for the link!

Upvote 0