• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What causes OCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is just my opinion, but i believe it is inherited. Alot of people (almost all) have anxiety disorders in my family. My mother has a form of OCD (where she is afraid she'll get sick) mine is contamination, cleaning, religious...
What you have said should help you to know you have an illness. You and God are fine. :hug:

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
i think so too i want to ask a fair question without debating over it

SEA JOY

How did your dr. know for a certainty that you had OCD that is beyond the diagnostic manual they use . H0w did they actually know its a fair question
Doctors look at symptoms....I had all the classic ones. Then they used the treatment for this illness and I got better. It's how I know it was ocd.

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
my dr really never said, you have ocd....she said "you clearly have some of the symptoms." so does that mean i officially have it??
It means you need to go back to that doctor and say you would like a diagnosis one way or the other..or get a different doctor to re-evaluate you. When a person is young, doctors don't always speak to you as they should, and if you don't ask questions, they think you have understood everything they said. Go back and ask more questions. You deserve an answer.

I am not a doctor - but you sound like a true ocd'er to me. Takes one to know one, as they say. :)

God bless.

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
im afraid to ask because i fear that i dont have it, and as long as i believe i have it a part of me says everything is okay, but if i find out i dont have it then i dont know what ill do?
I'm so confident that you have ocd, I have no problem telling you to seek help from a doctor, because you have very classic symptoms.

The reason I know is because no amount of reassurance is helping you....or it helps for only a short time. Don't be afraid....God does not want us to live in a state of fear, but of confidence in our salvation. I know you are ok with God. I can tell that you love Him dearly. The Lord is the author and finisher of your faith. He chose you long ago. He knew you would be part of His Kingdom from the beginning of time.

Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

my dr really never said, you have ocd....she said "you clearly have some of the symptoms." so does that mean i officially have it??

It means you need to go back to that doctor and say you would like a diagnosis one way or the other..or get a different doctor to re-evaluate you. When a person is young, doctors don't always speak to you as they should, and if you don't ask questions, they think you have understood everything they said. Go back and ask more questions. You deserve an answer.

I am not a doctor - but you sound like a true ocd'er to me. Takes one to know one, as they say. :)

God bless.
Yes, as I have said before on here, my psychiatrist said that in his opinion, OCD symptoms tended to be on a spectrum from very mild to very severe.

My particular psychiatrist said he understood religious OCD because he had seen it specifically manifested in his cousin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Savedsis

Seasoned Salty Sista
Oct 6, 2004
Farmville or diving into Little Rock Pool or on Is
✟117,391.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder the same thing ctay...I know I have some of the symptoms, I have never talked to my doctor about it..

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder the same thing ctay...I know I have some of the symptoms, I have never talked to my doctor about it..

I have never been to a doctor about it, but I know that the obsessive compulsions I have are not what normal people do.

Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Could OCD ever have a spiritual side to it?

I think it could Ann but it is anathema to some even suggest such a thing
The reason being that it is believed to be simply a biological disease which requires biological treatment ..

There was a man who experienced heart failure he went to his Doctor an MD who discovered that the man had just lost his wife . the dr did not give him pills he gave him alternative therapies ..the man recovered ..

Now what he was experiencing was very biological ..it was a tested and confirmed illness that would likely have killed him .. but he didnt need drugs
he needed compassion , and an alternative approach ..which may have saved his life ..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think in some cases ocd may have a spiritual side to it as well.Or the devil may take advantage of some people who have it.

Now what he was experiencing was very biological ..it was a tested and confirmed illness that would likely have killed him .. but he didnt need drugs
he needed compassion , and an alternative approach ..which may have saved his life ..

This is a very good example here.Love conquers all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.