what can i expect from a three day water fast ?

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Unless your experienced with fasting I'll say you can expect it to probably be the hardest three days of your life. Bringing all your nutritional and caloric intake to a screeching halt will do wonders for your body but not in a good way and it will not be the least bit healthy for you, I would highly recommend tempering yourself for it, take a week or two to ramp up to it by reducing raw material foods and eating soups only first and do not extend it beyond three days and if you do go pure liquid diet make sure you get at least a gallon fluids in you each day.
A three day water fast reduces your body to 0.00000 nutrional and caloric intake for three full days, I promise you that you will be miserable and three two five days is how long it takes to normally get over the pains of the initial fast. Your going to see the absolute worst of it and that's all you'll see and you'll need to ramp your body back up to solid food so that means soups and stuff for few days after the fast too. Extended periods of time without solid food before suddenly eating say a steak can potentially kill you or make you sick as a dog.

I actually don't recommend you doing it at all and honestly don't think you know what your getting yourself into. Reducing calorie intake damages and can almost permanently damage your metabolism, that's why calorie reduction of great proportion doesn't help you lose weight and can be permanently damaging.

I recommend you do a juice fast first, just juice for three days. It will be extremely hard but you will at least be getting some nutrition and calories into the body and probably make you glad you didn't try just water. Remember that your body still needs fuel so you need to be drinking A LOT of juice probably close to a gallon a day. If you decide the juice fast stick to the natural juices not the mostly processed sugar and not real juices, read the nutrition labels.

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Expect hunger. ;)

If you are not accustomed to fasting, physically, you are pushing your body to a true extreme and I would advise you not to dive in so zealously. You may set yourself up for disappointment if you break your fast.

If you are not accustomed to fasting, spiritually, examine yourself and your reasons for doing such: Is this for vainglory and pride? Is this for a prayerful intention? Is this for the Lord? Is this for recognition of my spiritual fruits?

If you are fasting with special intention, spend much time in prayer. Fasting without prayer is dieting. Keep your mind on holy things, keep your fast sacred.

Remember also that God accepted the offering of the poor widow. Sometimes the best we can give may not seem much, but God knows our limits. Don't try to kill yourself. Denial of the flesh is necessary in the Christian walk, but, seriously, baby steps...

And remember to keep your fasting hidden and secret.

Upvote 0

GalactusOmega

Witness to time's beginning
Jan 3, 2009
✟20,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
3 days is no big deal. You'll get one heck of a headache about a day into it, though, as your body switches over from ready energy to stored reserves. But, yeah, 3 days is no biggie. Make sure you get enough water though. Don't EVER try to go 3 days without that. That could be fatal.

Upvote 0

GalactusOmega

Witness to time's beginning
Jan 3, 2009
✟20,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you mean fasting from everything but water, you can expect what is mentioned above. If you mean fasting from water, you can expect to die.

I wasn't sure what he meant first either, so I looked it up. Water fasting means only water. As you say, no water is a good way to die fast.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not the harbinger of doom, the world eater hehe ^^ but I really don't think you should do it. Exhaustion, fatigue, hunger, headaches (that will not go away after only 24 hours) will be your only friends hehe. If you want an extremely hard fast I recommend going just juice for three days and make sure you get enough fluids and do not try any physical exercise of anything exerting during that time period.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A three day (water) fast for most, will bring a mild to moderate cleanse.

I've fasted for much longer than that ( using water) a number of times, and find the benefits increasingly, greatly outweigh the discomforts.

And I've fasted for three consecutive days with neither food nor water, and it wasn't all that difficult, nor did I experience any significant or lasting hurt.

For more details click the following link to the fasting forum here at CF - Fasting - Christian Forums

And May The Lord Be Pleased to Bless !

wm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wasn't sure what he meant first either, so I looked it up. Water fasting means only water. As you say, no water is a good way to die fast.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought he meant that he was going to not drink water for three days. If he means fasting everything BUT water, then that's fine.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I do not mean to undermine the honest and even experienced advice of others here but I do strongly recommend that you try Juice fasting first and I also disagree with the assertion that water fasting for extended periods of time is beneficial from a health stand point.
While you'll definitely detox you will do significant and possibly great damage to your metabolism and you will not lose any good weight. Your body will only burn fat while it is receiving enough fuel to meet it's needs and no more than 500-1000 or caloric deficit. The moment your body realizes its isn't receiving necessary fuel the metabolism slows down in order to preserve itself and it begins to store anything it does receive as fat becuase it thinks it's starving and what it consume is the bodies raw muscle mass and it only stores more fat and the metabolism continues to get slower and slower, this process only takes a day or two to start, you'll end up with no less body fat that you started with and a terribly slower metabolism and when you do begin to eat again your metabolism has been damaged and you only get fatter much faster and it is only harder to stay healthy. So in addition to the misery you will find you can damage your body and a damaged metabolism is not fixed quickly. If you doing this for weight loss goals in addition to a great walk with God it totally will not work.

Please be careful.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Going completely without is a different beast from severely reduced caloric consumption. In some ways, it's easier. After the first day, you stop feeling hungry. Be sure to drink plenty of water. If you start feeling dizzy or faint, it's time to quit the fast and eat because you're not handling it well. One thing to be careful of is breaking the fast. You don't want to overdo it. You need to start light with the food. You can certainly do this unless you have some underlying health condition and are in good shape. If you've never even gone 24 hours, though, you should at least do that first. The first 24 hours are the hardest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You can expect to be real thirsty at the end of the third day!

The original poster is talking about ONLY HAVING WATER for three days, not FASTING FROM WATER. Because of this misunderstanding, I will now have to post a disclaimer:

YOU MUST DRINK WATER EVERY DAY. If you do not drink water for three days, you may die. DO NOT FAST FROM WATER FOR EXTENDED PERIODS. You should also take care whenever you fast from food for an extended period, but DO NOT FAST FROM WATER FOR EXTENDED PERIODS.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In my previous fasts it normally took me to the third day to really stop the pains and discomforts, these were liquid only fasts.

Were they caloric liquids? Or calorie-free? It makes a difference...

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You want to be careful if your blood sugar is sensitive at all - either leaning toward diabetes or hypoglycemia. Not everyone's body handles fasts the same way.

One thing you could do occasionally to still feel like you're fasting but have a little substance... add celery or fiber powder, kelp... something that's still almost non-caloric.

Don't give up water. If you find yourself wanting to give up absolutely everything for as long as you possibly can, then check your internal desires to compete and win. This is not a contest, and there is no pat on the back at the end. An act of humility should lead to humility. (-;

Upvote 0