What can a Christian do to be born again?

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I hear a lot about how there are genuine, born-again Christians, and then there are fake Christians who aren’t really saved, and that most Christians fall into the latter category. I hear that a person can think they believe and be absolutely convinced that they’re saved and that they have a real relationship with Jesus, and yet not really be saved. A person can try their hardest to do good works and show real external change and yet not really be saved. Sometimes I hear that the difference between a saved and unsaved Christian is fruit.

But what I don’t hear is what someone in this situation can actually do to become a real Christian. If a person can think they believe and act like they believe, and yet not have real saving faith, then how do they get from the counterfeit belief they have to real belief? How can they say “I’m going to believe now” if it didn’t work the first time? How can they say “I’m going to confess I’m a sinner and turn from my sins” if that wasn’t enough the first time?

I’d like to say this idea that there are unsaved Christians isn’t true, but the bible seems to support it. Nicodemus was one of the major religious leaders, and he prayed, fasted, and tithed regularly. This sounds like someone who believed, was seeking God, and tried his best to be obedient. Yet Jesus told him he needed to be born again.

What does it take to be born again? To have a real change of heart and saving faith? All I hear is that we’re supposed to confess our sins, turn from them, and ask Jesus to come into our lives and save us. But if a person is Christian, then they’ve already done that. So what’s missing in these Christians who aren’t really saved? What can a Christian do to be born again?

Reactions: dms1972

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Acts 16:31 "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

1 John 5:1 "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God:"

Believe = trust. Just trust that Jesus is the Son of God who came to take away your sins and ask him to save you out of faith, realizing that there is nothing you can do to earn it for yourself.

A person who is saved is already born again - to be born again is to be renewed through the grace of God by faith, meaning that your soul is given life by Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Acts 16:31 "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

1 John 5:1 "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God:"

Believe = trust. Just trust that Jesus is the Son of God who came to take away your sins and ask him to save you out of faith, realizing that there is nothing you can do to earn it for yourself.

A person who is saved is already born again - to be born again is to be renewed through the grace of God by faith, meaning that your soul is given life by Jesus Christ.

To believe is not the same as to trust. When you believe you accept something as true.

To believe Jesus is Lord and Savior is like believing the coffee table in your living room is real and touchable.. it's the same kind of belief.

If you don't feel you have belief you must ask God for it.. "I believe, now help me with my unbelief" Mark 9:23-24

• Agree
Reactions: wheelgirl
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To believe is not the same as to trust. When you believe you accept something as true.

To believe Jesus is Lord and Savior is like believing the coffee table in your living room is real and touchable.. it's the same kind of belief.

If you don't feel you have belief you must ask God for it.. "I believe, now help me with my unbelief" Mark 9:23-24
Ephesians 1:13 "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise."

Paul used the words "trusted" and "believed" interchangeably to describe the salvation of the Ephesians when they heard the gospel. So, according to Paul, trusted and believed are married concepts that cannot be separated, therefore speaking to the function of each action as being toward the same end.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ephesians 1:13 "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise."

Paul used the words "trusted" and "believed" interchangeably to describe the salvation of the Ephesians when they heard the gospel. So, according to Paul, trusted and believed are married concepts that cannot be separated, therefore speaking to the function of each action as being toward the same end.

Interesting.. ill remember that thank you..

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Gell

Redeemed
Site Supporter
May 9, 2018
England
✟56,279.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
To love the Lord with all our being that we see our lives here on earth as rubbish compared to being with our Creator, the One who loves our souls.
To love our neighbors as we love ourselves.
ThatI believe is the very heart beat of every true Christian.
To uphold God’s truth no matter what and call out sin as it is, call sinners to repentance in a gentle and respectful manner.
Not to be conformed by the ways of this world but have our minds renewed by the Author of our faith.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
When a newborn is in the arms of his daddy, normally, his daddy is beaming smile joy and right kind of thankfulness and praise to Yahweh (God) for his gift of life.

WHAT could the "newborn" baby DO, to be born ? WHAT did they DO to be born ?

Likewise, if someone wants to be born again, they must depend totally and completely on Yahweh, not on themselves at all, nor on any doctrine, any teaching or any man.

Only by the will of the Father in heaven, NOT by the flesh, NOT by the will of man, but of Yahweh (God) may anyone be circumcised of heart - NOT by human hands.

Thus, few find the narrow road to life. Many remain on the wide road to destruction.

All this is completely described throughout all Scripture.

What does it take to be born again?

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes I hear that the difference between a saved and unsaved Christian is fruit.

Not true , you can't bear any fruit of Spirit when you don't have Spirit inside of you .
Most people who say such thing boast of themselfes that they do all these nice works and judge others of eternal damnation because they aren't like them : Ephesians 2:8-9.

You can't do anything to be born again , just like first time when u become born you did not choose your mother or father , likewise you don't choose of God is giving birth to you .

How this thing happen is somebody is preaching the Gospel to you 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 , and if you trust the gospel God is giving birth to you by planting his seed inside of you 1 John 3:9 Ephesians 1:13-14 , you now have two natures the old man and new man , you choose to walk in Spirit and please God or walk in flesh and please yourself .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I hear a lot about how there are genuine, born-again Christians, and then there are fake Christians who aren’t really saved, and that most Christians fall into the latter category. I hear that a person can think they believe and be absolutely convinced that they’re saved and that they have a real relationship with Jesus, and yet not really be saved. A person can try their hardest to do good works and show real external change and yet not really be saved. Sometimes I hear that the difference between a saved and unsaved Christian is fruit.

But what I don’t hear is what someone in this situation can actually do to become a real Christian. If a person can think they believe and act like they believe, and yet not have real saving faith, then how do they get from the counterfeit belief they have to real belief? How can they say “I’m going to believe now” if it didn’t work the first time? How can they say “I’m going to confess I’m a sinner and turn from my sins” if that wasn’t enough the first time?

I’d like to say this idea that there are unsaved Christians isn’t true, but the bible seems to support it. Nicodemus was one of the major religious leaders, and he prayed, fasted, and tithed regularly. This sounds like someone who believed, was seeking God, and tried his best to be obedient. Yet Jesus told him he needed to be born again.

What does it take to be born again? To have a real change of heart and saving faith? All I hear is that we’re supposed to confess our sins, turn from them, and ask Jesus to come into our lives and save us. But if a person is Christian, then they’ve already done that. So what’s missing in these Christians who aren’t really saved? What can a Christian do to be born again?
A piece of advice I would offer is to pray constantly, as Paul taught us (1 Thess 5:17).

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus initiates and changes us, we can't. The Holy Spirit convicts us of our sins, if we truly and deeply repent we are Saved. Repentance is not only admitting rebellion against Jesus, it is putting all your trust in Him alone to Save and Change you. Salvation is accomplished from start to finish through trusting in Jesus alone to Save and Change you. The question is what do you want to be saved and changed from? If you aren't satisfied living in sin like pride, lust, greed, envy, lieing, hate, bitterness, unforgiveness, laziness, etc then you want a change. When we reach this point through the Holy Spirit we realize that we want Love in our lives. We turn from our sins, and turn to Jesus who is Love. Jesus statifies our unmet need to be Loved, everything else never statifies us because we always want more. But Jesus satisfies us to the point that we want to give Him to others.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To love the Lord with all our being that we see our lives here on earth as rubbish compared to being with our Creator, the One who loves our souls.
To love our neighbors as we love ourselves.
ThatI believe is the very heart beat of every true Christian.
To uphold God’s truth no matter what and call out sin as it is, call sinners to repentance in a gentle and respectful manner.
Not to be conformed by the ways of this world but have our minds renewed by the Author of our faith.

AMEN SISTER GELL!! Well said :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible says we are not born again by our own efforts or power, but only by God. You cannot love God enough, follow the commandments enough, live a good enough life, turn from sin enough, love your neighbor enough, or be sorry or holy enough to be born again. The Bible is clear: we're born again through faith, which has nothing at all to do with our own efforts, but has everything to do with the free gift of eternal life that God offers us because of his great love, not ours.

We do not inherit eternal life by being good enough or being obedient enough. Scripture is clear, There is none righteous, no, not one. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. We cannot live our lives good enough to garner for ourselves everlasting life and to be born of God; only God begets us through his only begotten, by grace through faith, nothing more, nothing less. Period.

The only reason I emphasize that is because I notice a lot of works-based answers in this thread to a question that is very simple and easy to answer according to what the Bible says. Works-salvation complicates and muddies the gospel of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No matter what denomination of Christianity your in someone is going to say your not a Christian your not born again. This is because you probably don’t believe the same things they do. It’s a bunch of crap. Don’t worry about it just study your bible and obey God’s word and never give up. Keep praying asking for guidance and do what your heart tells you. In time you will change and you will be born again. Everyone who seeks finds and to everyone who knocks the door will be opened. God bless you my friend. :)

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Salvation is a gift and all through the Holy Spirit. We do good works as a result of Salvation through the overflow of Love Jesus puts in our life. We cannot earn Salvation or buy it. We all fall short of Perfect Love so we all deserve to go to hell, but God wants everyone to go to Heaven. He died for us so that we can. All we can do is thank Jesus for Saving and Changing us.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

No, although fruit is very important, it can be faked. What is really important is love. Does a Christian love God? That's the really important question. There's a story Jesus told of people who meet him face-to-face at the Final Judgment to whom he says, "Depart from me, I never knew you." These same people had exorcised demons in his name, performed miracles in his name, and even prophesied in his name. But Jesus tells them he never knew them! How is this possible? Isn't casting demons out of people a good thing? Yes, it is. Isn't performing miracles in Christ's name something that is right and good? Yes, it is. Isn't prophesying in Jesus' name a good thing, too? Well, yes, it is. So, why, then, does Jesus tell them to depart from him? They were doing good. And they were doing it in his name! The answer is in what they never claimed: To love him. Why is that important? Because loving God with everything you are is where doing good, where obedience to God, starts.

Matthew 22:36-38
36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
38 This is the first and great commandment.

Paul the apostle explained that anything we might do, however sacrificial, and praiseworthy, and good, apart from a motive of love, first for God, and then for others, is of no spiritual benefit. Read 1 Corinthians 13:1-3. But the majority of people claiming a faith in Christ, claiming to be Christian, have no love in their hearts for the Saviour. One day these same "Christians" who attended church for decades, and read their Bibles, and prayed, and gave money to the Church will stand before Christ and hear him say, "Depart from me, I never knew you." The thought of such a fate horrifies me!

How can such a fate be escaped? Well, the apostle John explained:

1 John 4:16
16 And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.

When a person truly believes the love God has for them, it engenders in that person a love of God which, in turn, becomes a powerful motivation to forsake a Self-centered life for one centered upon God. Paul knew just how crucial love was to Christian living and so he prayed for the Christians at the church in Ephesus the following:

Ephesians 3:14-19
14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--
19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

The Bible says that the "love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who is given unto us." (Ro. 5:5) When a person believes the love God has for them and so trusts in Christ as their Saviour, the love of God is given to them in the Person of the Holy Spirit. He is Himself the love of God, who works to transform sinners into Christlike children of God, making them holy, faithful, loving vessels in and through whom He can accomplish His will. Love for God, then, is the key difference between a false convert and a real one and a vital component of genuine salvation.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, although fruit is very important, it can be faked. What is really important is love. Does a Christian love God? That's the really important question. There's a story Jesus told of people who meet him face-to-face at the Final Judgment to whom he says, "Depart from me, I never knew you." These same people had exorcised demons in his name, performed miracles in his name, and even prophesied in his name. But Jesus tells them he never knew them! How is this possible? Isn't casting demons out of people a good thing? Yes, it is. Isn't performing miracles in Christ's name something that is right and good? Yes, it is. Isn't prophesying in Jesus' name a good thing, too? Well, yes, it is. So, why, then, does Jesus tell them to depart from him? They were doing good. And they were doing it in his name! The answer is in what they never claimed: To love him. Why is that important? Because loving God with everything you are is where doing good, where obedience to God, starts.

Matthew 22:36-38
36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
38 This is the first and great commandment.

Paul the apostle explained that anything we might do, however sacrificial, and praiseworthy, and good, apart from a motive of love, first for God, and then for others, is of no spiritual benefit. Read 1 Corinthians 13:1-3. But the majority of people claiming a faith in Christ, claiming to be Christian, have no love in their hearts for the Saviour. One day these same "Christians" who attended church for decades, and read their Bibles, and prayed, and gave money to the Church will stand before Christ and hear him say, "Depart from me, I never knew you." The thought of such a fate horrifies me!

How can such a fate be escaped? Well, the apostle John explained:

1 John 4:16
16 And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.

When a person truly believes the love God has for them, it engenders in that person a love of God which, in turn, becomes a powerful motivation to forsake a Self-centered life for one centered upon God. Paul knew just how crucial love was to Christian living and so he prayed for the Christians at the church in Ephesus the following:

Ephesians 3:14-19
14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--
19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

The Bible says that the "love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who is given unto us." (Ro. 5:5) When a person believes the love God has for them and so trusts in Christ as their Saviour, the love of God is given to them in the Person of the Holy Spirit. He is Himself the love of God, who works to transform sinners into Christlike children of God, making them holy, faithful, loving vessels in and through whom He can accomplish His will. Love for God, then, is the key difference between a false convert and a real one and a vital component of genuine salvation.

False believeers aren't really doing good they are doing thing to promote themselves, not Jesus. One example is when Simon the magicians wanted to buy the Power to give the Holy Spirit for his own fame and financial gain. In this one example it is the Fruit that shows the heart. The heart determines the course of our lives. Peter tells us that false teachers say they believe in Jesus but their actions prove otherwise. They are greedy, power hungry, in it for what they can get out of others. They lord it over others and love money instead of people. They use their influence to get people's money and praises and to get the desires of their heart like sex. People can be burned at the stake for all kinds of reasons. They can do it for pride, for image, etc. People can give away their money for the same reasons. Though it might be hard at first to know their intentions, it will surface sooner or later. Remember God knows all and He will make you aware.

Being loving is the Fruit of a relationship with Jesus. It is not something we do, but Jesus does in us. We love because Jesus first Loves us. Our love for God and others is the overflow of the Love that we receive from Jesus. Love is the Fruit of our relationship with Jesus.

Upvote 0