What bothers me about returning to fellowship and a supposed Christian walk

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all. I haven't visited here for ages. I've been struggling a lot with my faith for about 5 years now. It's taken me this long just to get over a lot of hatred and anger (towards Christians and Christianity).

Of course I haven't been in fellowship all this time. And I've been thinking about what is really stopping me from doing so.

The burning image in my mind is of a number of different church people that really hurt and abused me. And I know this may sound silly, but when I think of returning to fellowship, I think of myself being "on the same side again" as those people.

At the moment, I take a bit of comfort that I am not with those people in mind or spirit. I shudder at the thought of having any common bond with them, of being a "brother" with them. I am happy of being out of fellowship with them in terms of belief, practice, philosophy etc. When I think of those people, I want nothing ever to do with them, and part of me says that I don't want to be on their same side. Like I say, I feel down and depressed at the thought of rejoining them again.

And another part of me just enjoys my freedom away from fellowship, and any obligation and duty. I served in my old church for many years, and it is great not to have to be obligated. I can do what I want on any day, I am not committed of my time on Sunday, I am not committed for any activity, like home groups, music practice etc. After 5 years, it is really difficult to get the urge to put yourself into committment. Part of me wants to, part of me says now that I am free, why enslave myself again? I was told off by my pastors at the end of my last church and called a "non member" despite all that I had given and served. It is very difficult to think of serving when the image in my mind is one of ingratitude. The whole church attending, giving, serving thing is not a joy: it's in my mind a burden that I think somehow God "expects" but I'm not really looking forward to. I just think the same thing will happen again.

So these are 2 big draw backs I have at the moment. But especially the first one I mentioned. I just really hate the thought of becoming again a churchy religous person, part of me wants nothing to do with those types, and so I want no association with them. Let alone join in with them and be one of them again. And part of me thinks this is what God "expects". Again, I see it as an obligation and not a joy. Something you have to do but you don't enjoy it. Like washing the car.

Let me know if this makes no sense to you.

PureLove

Aug 24, 2007
your mind
✟15,668.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think you just need to work through this and u cant force yourself to like it again I agree that wont work
does part of u miss it since u mention it? maybe there is something else close to it, I dunno
Id be careful dividing yourself too much in mind from them, the Us and Them and forgive the ones that hurt you becuase thats the freedom too i agree u dont want to be part of something your concious is against
good luck on your path

LOvE

Upvote 0

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You sound like an intelligent and schooled person... may I suggest some reading material I believe will enlightened and lift you in your seeking God as well as explaining what YOU are about in the scheme of things.

"The Wisdom of James Allen"

It's a Laurel Creek publication... found in most bookstores in the "religion" section.

It's not an EASY read but does explain some very hard to grasp things. I pray God's power and peace be upon you in your searching.

His,
Rev J

ps: just a suggestion... but you might want to change your screen name to something a bit more positive.

pps: NEVER confuse GOD with RELIGION!

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Many are where you are at. Some have become part of home group churches, where they stress relationships with Jesus and each other in place of programmes.

But home churches and really welcoming larger churches are quite often hard to find.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

trulyliving

Jul 28, 2007
✟8,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try "Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning....

From the foreward:

"This book is not for the superspiritual.....It is not for the legalists who would rather surrender control of their souls to rules than run the risk of living in union with Jesus.... The Ragamuffin Gospel was written for the bedraggeld, beat-up, and burnt-out."

I've experienced something similar. Technically, you can commune with God by youself, but you'd be missing out on alot of joy that comes with passing the "hump" that others with similar experiences as you have passed. It's like you pass through this "hump" and in the process of seeking God through it all, God leads you to a place where you can find healing in His grace amidst (I know its hard to believe right now) Christian brothers and sisters. You can pass through the hump of "labelism" and get to a place where you can get to know others' hearts, not labels or technicalities.

Sometimes legalism is so much in front of us we don't know it exists. It's good to separate from that, but in the process of running towards another type of fellowship. In my experience, running away from something is exhausting compared to running towards something.

be blessed!

Upvote 0

trulyliving

Jul 28, 2007
✟8,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
by the way.... if you felt obligated to serve before, maybe it just wasnt your calling. you dont have to engage in any works to prove your commitment to the Lord.

He already died for you!!! He already decided to love you, and doesn't depend on any pastor's approval!!!

........... Just be His child...... be still and BE His child...

Reactions: PureLove
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So these are 2 big draw backs I have at the moment. But especially the first one I mentioned. I just really hate the thought of becoming again a churchy religous person, part of me wants nothing to do with those types, and so I want no association with them. Let alone join in with them and be one of them again. And part of me thinks this is what God "expects". Again, I see it as an obligation and not a joy. Something you have to do but you don't enjoy it. Like washing the car.
MY FRIEND,

There is no way you can have a relationship with Jesus Christ and, at the same time, reject His Body--the Church. The Head and the body are, of course, inseparable. You are a sinner just like the rest of us, and to pretend otherwise--in thought, word, or deed--is to delude yourself and estrange yourself from your Lord through hypocracy.

If you have been hurt in the past by Christians, your job is to learn forgiveness and understanding--just as YOU need to be forgiven and understood. i suggest you get to work on this quickly as non-judgmentalism and forgiveness are not easy qualities to acquire.

Secondly, i would think seriously of changing your name to something with Christian connotations--"Black Sabbath" being, of course, the witches' "sabbath. This is a small thing, perhaps, but a good symbolic start on your Christian walk.

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon

1Jo 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

1Jo 4:21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Just as the ones who wronged you, need to change
you also need to change.
They are accountable for their actions.
The only one you have to answer for is you.
I pray that God will reveal himself to you...and change your heart to reflect his.
Do everything as unto the Lord, and it will never be done in vain.

Upvote 0

trulyliving

Jul 28, 2007
✟8,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PLEEEEAAASE don't give up seeking him.... PLEEEEAAASE try to just rise above whatever comments in here that may have made you feel like you have to jump through hoops amongst Christians.....

I know you're not trying to get anyone's approval in here.......God's not about that....but please don't give up.

PLEEEAAASE CAN WE JUST LAY OFF WHATEVER IS ON THE SUPERFICIAL AND JUST HEAR HIS(/HER?) HEART! All of the superficial changes from within, so let's please focus on what's on the within??!!!!

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi all. I haven't visited here for ages. I've been struggling a lot with my faith for about 5 years now. It's taken me this long just to get over a lot of hatred and anger (towards Christians and Christianity).

Of course I haven't been in fellowship all this time. And I've been thinking about what is really stopping me from doing so.

The burning image in my mind is of a number of different church people that really hurt and abused me. And I know this may sound silly, but when I think of returning to fellowship, I think of myself being "on the same side again" as those people.

At the moment, I take a bit of comfort that I am not with those people in mind or spirit. I shudder at the thought of having any common bond with them, of being a "brother" with them. I am happy of being out of fellowship with them in terms of belief, practice, philosophy etc. When I think of those people, I want nothing ever to do with them, and part of me says that I don't want to be on their same side. Like I say, I feel down and depressed at the thought of rejoining them again.

And another part of me just enjoys my freedom away from fellowship, and any obligation and duty. I served in my old church for many years, and it is great not to have to be obligated. I can do what I want on any day, I am not committed of my time on Sunday, I am not committed for any activity, like home groups, music practice etc. After 5 years, it is really difficult to get the urge to put yourself into committment. Part of me wants to, part of me says now that I am free, why enslave myself again? I was told off by my pastors at the end of my last church and called a "non member" despite all that I had given and served. It is very difficult to think of serving when the image in my mind is one of ingratitude. The whole church attending, giving, serving thing is not a joy: it's in my mind a burden that I think somehow God "expects" but I'm not really looking forward to. I just think the same thing will happen again.

Let me know if this makes no sense to you.

Well, I can't say that every time I've been to church I've had a great time although maybe for dif reasons(I have a 5yr old and 3yr old ;) ). I get at least one dirty look per week.

Do you read the Bible regularly?

Praying for you! :crossrc:

Matthew 11
28 "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Secondly, i would think seriously of changing your name to something with Christian connotations--"Black Sabbath" being, of course, the witches' "sabbath. This is a small thing, perhaps, but a good symbolic start on your Christian walk.

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

As I said to you privately, "Black Sabbath" is nothing to do with the occult or some witches sabbath. It is simply the name of my favourite band.

Great music. A rose (or thorn you'll most probably say-lol) by any other name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As I said to you privately, "Black Sabbath" is nothing to do with the occult or some witches sabbath. It is simply the name of my favourite band.

Great music.

I like the stuff with Ozzy but when he left the band it lost alot of the flavour - IMO.
:wave:

Upvote 0

trulyliving

Jul 28, 2007
✟8,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

GOD-LESS LYRICS?
I once listenned to a sermon/message from Alistair Begg on the radio. One of the topics he talked about was how we Christians can sometimes miss the point.... he ended the message with talking about how during the Beetles craze, many Christians were just busy criticizing about how God-less their lyrics were.... with the sudden death of John Lennon at the time, he brought up the point that Christians might have missed some cries for help, as in the song, "Help!" (with reference to changing his mind and opening up the door)....

Where were we? What were we doing?.....something to think about with a humble heart.
(not saying we blame ourselves about what happens with the rebellious, but can we honestly say we have love for them?)

There's an article about Black Sabbath being the first Christian band... so maybe they weren't, but the article brings up interesting points....

http://www.transbuddha.com/content/black-sabbath-the-first-christian-rock-band/

Upvote 0