What are your thoughts on Mother Teresa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
She is not saying that people are God, she is just using the verse about helping Christ if we help 'the least of these'.. ;) it's not pantheistic, she's jsut taking that verse and applying it to how she lives her life.
her statement that Jesus is inside of everyone and the fact that other people of other religions are saved is not a historic christian orthodox position...sure does resemble contemporary newage and relativistic views

I'd say only God can know people's hearts, and we have no right to judge someone else's salvation.
I can speak for myself though, I've grown in my relationship with God lots since I've become Catholic (I was non denom Protestant).

God bless

monica
And you are right, but a good tree cannot produce bad fruit. It's not my job to judge, infact I never I discern sheep in wolves clothing which come in both protestant and catholic forms.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
First - I do not think it is an incorrect interpretation of Matthew 25:31-46. I think, rather, that it is an incorrect interpretation of Mother Theresa's words.

Matthew 25:31-46. (The Sheep and the Goats."

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory." = Verse 31. Certainly SOUNDS like Christ to me.

"All nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats." = v 32.

"He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on the left." vs 33.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world." = vs 34. Again, obviously Christ speaking of Christ.

"For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in," = vs 35.

"I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." = vs 36.

"Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?" = vs 37. (Sounds like the attitude many of you have on this thread.)

"When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?" = vs 38. (Again, sounds like some of you people.)

"When did we see you sick or in prison and go visit you?" (And there you go again.) = vs 39.

The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." = vs 40.

So, what Mother Theresa is saying, is that whatever you do for the poor, you have done for Christ.

And- be wary of discouraging love in the name of Christ.
The rest of Christ's message follows.

"Then He will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me." verses 41-43.

"They also will answer, "Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?" = vs 44.

"He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me." = vs 45.

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

------
By the way, what she ACTUALLY said about the poor is, "Each one of them is Jesus in disguise." Which is EXACTLY what the parable of Christ said. It is a scripture commonly taught that way, and those who teach it that way do not mean "This human being is literally Christ," but rather, "treat every person as if they are Christ."

Was she a Christian.
Did she teach people about Christ?

"I know God will not give me anything I cannot handle."
"No, I wouldn't touch a leer for a thousand pounds; yet I willingly cure him for the love of God."
"Jesus said love one another."
"Many people mistake our work for our vocation. Our vocation is the love of Jesus."
"Sweetest Lord, make me appreciative of the dignity of my high vocation, and its many responsibilities."
"There is always the danger that we may just do the work for the sake of the wor. This is where the respect and love and the devotion come in - that we do it to God, to Christ, and that's why we try to do it as beautifully as possible."
"We need to find God."
"Words which do not give the light of Christ increase the darkness."
"Keep the joy of loving God in your heart and share this joy with all you meet, especialy your family. Be holy. Pray."
"God loves a cheerful giver."
"God made the world rich enough to feed and clothe all human beings."
"Pride destroys everything. To imitate Jesus is the key to be meek and humble in heart."
"Keep the light of Christ always shining in your hearts. Only He is the Way to be trodden. He is the Truth we must speak out. He is thej love we must speak out."
"Faith in action is love, and love in action is service. By transforming that faith into living acts of love, we put ourselves in contact with God Himself, with Jesus our Lord."
"Let us bring love and compassion to win the world, to bring the world the gospel of Christ. Let us all bring the good news that God loves the world!"
"Communion with Christ gives us our strength, our joy, and our love."

The attitude that this woman "could not be a Christian" because she was Catholic is utterly shameful for anyone professing to be a Christian to possess.

Christ said, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
Christ said, "The greatest commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind, and the second is this, to love your neighbor as yourself."

And the bible teaches if you break the commandment of love, you have broken ALL the LAW.

This woman taught that God loves us, that Christ is our only hope, that Christ is our salvation.

How is that "unChristian?"

What have YOU done that Christ TOLD you to do today that is above and beyond what this dear woman did with her entire life?
Have YOU done the DOs of God's word?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And- be wary of discouraging love in the name of Christ.

I would be more wary of neglecting to share the Gospel with the lost and calling it love.

Was she a Christian

Based on the doctrines she held, I would have to say no.

Did she teach people about Christ?

Based on the fact that there are no examples of her ever having shared the Gospel, and even her supporters here can't give an example of her having shared the Gospel, I've got to say no again.

"Communion with Christ gives us our strength, our joy, and our love."

And what about those who are not only not in communion with Christ, but are at emnity with Christ? How does she expect them to have communion with Christ unless they're born again?

The attitude that this woman "could not be a Christian" because she was Catholic is utterly shameful for anyone professing to be a Christian to possess.

Why? Many Catholics aren't Christians. Why not her?

Christ said, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Right. That's one verse taken out of context in a chapter in which Christ commands us to be on the look out for people like Theresa. Why is it that people who always want to quote Matthew 7:1 out of context will never acknowledge that the passage, when taken as a whole, says precisely the opposite of what they mean it to say?

This woman taught that God loves us, that Christ is our only hope, that Christ is our salvation.

Then why can't you give us any example of her preaching the Gospel? If she believed that Christ is our only hope and our salvation, then why did she say that people could be saved by being "better Hindus, better Buddhists", doing acts of charity, etc.

What have YOU done that Christ TOLD you to do today that is above and beyond what this dear woman did with her entire life?

I've shared the Gospel with the lost and have done it according to the word of God.

Have YOU done the DOs of God's word?

Yes.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's impossible for you guys to get anywhere as long as you don't discuss what Sola Scriptura is and what the objections to it are. I'm not going to debate it as per the mod's request, but it's an observation about the futility of judging the rightness or wrongness of Mother Theresa's actions (and of course, others have pointed out the danger of focusing on the motes in her eye). It seems there are posters here that really don't know much about the concept.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Tell me, War Eagle,

How do you justify dismissing teaching others that Jesus Christ is the only way to Salvation as "not sharing the gospel of Christ?"

Mother Theresa DID indeed teach that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. That He is the Son of God, that He is the only answer, the only way to salvation.

She taught, not only the great commission, but a Christian duty to teach the great commission.

The President of Southwestern Theological Seminary said, "If Christians spent as much time doing what God instructs them to do as they do criticizing fellow Christians, the world would all know the good news of Christ, but they don't."

You have spent a great deal of time, on this forum, knocking a woman who dispensed great love in the name of Jesus Christ.
How did that save one soul?
How did that lead one person to Christ?

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tell me, War Eagle,

How do you justify dismissing teaching others that Jesus Christ is the only way to Salvation as "not sharing the gospel of Christ?"

Could you please give me an example of Theresa ever sharing the Gospel with anyone?

Mother Theresa DID indeed teach that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. That He is the Son of God, that He is the only answer, the only way to salvation.

She taught, not only the great commission, but a Christian duty to teach the great commission.

Then why can't any of her supporters here give an example of her having done so?

You have spent a great deal of time, on this forum, knocking a woman who dispensed great love in the name of Jesus Christ.

A) Please show where I "knocked" anyone.

B) Please explain how it is "dispensing great love in the name of Jesus Christ" to deceive people into believing that they can be a Hindu or a Buddhist or rely on their own works for their salvation and be saved.

It didn't and it wasn't meant to. It was meant to address some misunderstandings about Christian doctrine and to point out that Theresa did not follow Christian doctrine and did not do what many are applauding her for doing.

Upvote 0

VT_Boy

Jesus is the only way to God
Aug 3, 2004
Visit site
✟3,109.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's impossible for you guys to get anywhere as long as you don't discuss what Sola Scriptura is and what the objections to it are. I'm not going to debate it as per the mod's request, but it's an observation about the futility of judging the rightness or wrongness of Mother Theresa's actions (and of course, others have pointed out the danger of focusing on the motes in her eye). It seems there are posters here that really don't know much about the concept.

This post might not be a debating one but you're still not following the rules of the Baptist forum to only post questions or fellowship post as a non-Baptist member. Baptists are not perfect, same with your denomination or any other denomination. There's different beliefs even in the Baptist forum and we are allowed ourselves to discuss different beliefs and agree to disagree at times. Your congregational forum is no different in having different beliefs and discussing them within your own forum. What is your point in coming here and trying to cause problems in the Baptist forum. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Canaan-84

Jun 10, 2008
Houston, Texas
✟15,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This post might not be a debating one but you're still not following the rules of the Baptist forum to only post questions or fellowship post as a non-Baptist member. Baptists are not perfect, same with your denomination or any other denomination. There's different beliefs even in the Baptist forum and we are allowed ourselves to discuss different beliefs and agree to disagree at times. Your congregational forum is no different in having different beliefs and discussing them within your own forum. What is your point in coming here and trying to cause problems in the Baptist forum. :scratch:

I noticed that my posts were deleted, why is debate not allowed here? I was posting here since I noticed you guys were discussing a Catholic figure, and some took the opportunity to attack the Church by saying Catholics are not real christians, yet my posts are deleted for defending Mother Teresa and the Church. I didn't respond in a malicious manner either.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One piece of honest fellowship that I would like to offer is that over in TAW we have a sub-forum where non-Orthodox are allowed to debate. In this way we can maintain a main forum which holds the supremacy of our Faith, while having an honest place where people who disagree can comment. I think you guys would benefit from having something like that. As it is, people here can knock Mother Theresa openly, but no one is allowed to either defend her or point out misunderstandings. That would be taken by anyone not fully sharing this particular view as unjust hypocrisy.

Fellowship is a rather broad word, but this is certainly not a debate post (neither was my previous one). For my part, it is an attempt at honest fellowship (which I don't understand to mean merely saying nice things, but to participate in a meaningful way in the discussion).

Upvote 0

fushiarose

a.k.a. fosterangel72
Feb 11, 2007
✟16,534.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Tell me, War Eagle,

Amen. very true. that is all i am going to say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mod Hat On!

Pinky&Brain.jpg

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Well, I think so, Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?​

MEMBERSHIP
Only those who agree with a congregational forum’s Statement of Faith may post as members of that forum. Statements of Faith are found in the congregational forum’s forum-specific guidelines (FSGs), found at the top of each specific forum.

All are welcome to post in fellowship (see below for definition).

Those who do not agree with the congregational forum’s Statement of Faith may not debate or post teaching or instruction posts. NOTE: Some forums may allow more debate by non-members than others. If so, it will be stated in their forum-specific guidelines (FSGs).

In general, questions asked in a congregation’s forum should be answered only by members of that forum.

DEFINITION OF A FELLOWSHIP POST

1) It is not debate or apologetics (defense).

Those who disagree with a congregation’s Statement of Faith will not discuss reasons for or against any subject being discussed on this sub-forum. This includes questions that essentially are rebuttal or argumentative in nature. Those who disagree will not engage in theological discussions that defend their particular point of view on scriptural, theological, doctrinal, social, or political issues.

2) It is not answering questions or teaching.

Only a member of the congregational forum may give answers to and instruct on doctrinal questions. While there may be many very good ideas on the subject from non-members, they may not give instruction. Earnest questions are always welcome, from anyone.

3) What Fellowship is:

Essentially fellowship is defined as the discussion of topics of association, of companionship - i.e. discussions of things like friends, family, work..... these topics are fellowship. Posts that offer friendship would certainly be described as fellowship.

If you are not a member of the Baptist denomination, then it is improper for you to be discussing and/or debating in this general area.​

Posts that fall outside the "Fellowship/Encouragement" realm, may be deleted.​

Please adhere to the rules of the area.​

There, we can be friends again.​

Mod Hat Off!

God Bless

Till all are one.​

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.