What are the keys to the kingdom of heaven?

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are these the keys?

Matthew 18
18Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

One key, two key, red key, blue key?

What does it mean?

Does it mean that the apostles were given the strength to forbid and allow certain behaviors, and doctrines, or what?

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the Master key.
Peter recognised Jesus as being the Son of the living God, author of salvation.

Upon that rock of confession, the kingdom would be built, through repentance and baptism.
Those are the keys to get you in, as Peters first sermon demonstrates.

I see. :thumbsup:

I did see it in this manner: Thou art (small stone) and upon this (great almighty ROCK) I will build my Church.

I began reading Acts through the other night and did not finish...

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear ivebeenshown. The only key I can think about : Jesus and His Love. Jesus gave us 2 Commandments. 1) Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. 2) love our neighbour as we love ourselves. Jesus also told us: " On these 2 Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love, and God wants our love, selfless and beneficial. Love God with all our being, and love each other as we love ourselves: or treat each other as we would like to be treated, with kindness and considerration, with ever-ready forgiveness and a helping hand. (when needed) That is easy to remember, but sadly not easy to do, yet it is possible. We have years to learn, we have Jesus to help and guide us, and God will forgive us every time we stumble or fail, if we ask sincerely. Love is the key to heaven, and who has shown greater Love than Jesus? Jesus died that we may live, Jesus is our Saviour. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isaiah 22:21-22
21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. 22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 22:21-22
21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. 22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
:thumbsup:

Rev 3:7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
may be the question is not what are the keys, but what do these keys unlock....

note, Jesus did not say it to Peter but to all of them as the 'you' is in the plural (at least in the Greek).

Steve

p.s. to bind things up and loose things involves rope, not keys. Maybe it is something else that we have not generally considered.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes he is. Did the system Jesus established for his Church die with Peter?
Why do the RCs always focus more on Peter of the circumcision and less on Paul to the uncircumcision :confused:

1 Corin 3:10 According to the grace of the God, the being given to me, as a wise chief-artificer/arci-tektwn <753> a foundation I lay, another yet is building on it, each one yet let be heeding! how he is building on it.

http://www.christianforums.com/t6958045-5/#post51146994
Does the Roman Church focus on Peter too much

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
may be the question is not what are the keys, but what do these keys unlock....

note, Jesus did not say it to Peter but to all of them as the 'you' is in the plural (at least in the Greek).
Yes. But in Mt 16:19 it is singular referring to Peter. Why the difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to The Church, the "Sacraments" are the keys.

They can be given, but they cannot be taken.

I would have thought that every good Catholic would know that.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do the RCs always focus more on Peter of the circumcision and less on Paul to the uncircumcision :confused:

1 Corin 3:10 According to the grace of the God, the being given to me, as a wise chief-artificer/arci-tektwn <753> a foundation I lay, another yet is building on it, each one yet let be heeding! how he is building on it.

http://www.christianforums.com/t6958045-5/#post51146994
Does the Roman Church focus on Peter too much
Maybe Catholics read the Bible as a coherent whole and don't create a theology and then search out individual verses in Paul to support it.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0