WHAT ARE THE 2 THINGS UPON WHICH GOD CAN'T LIE AND HOW DO THEY BENEFIT US?

Fearnot87

A BROKEN HEART AND A COPNTRITE SPIRIT
Feb 16, 2015
Awka, Nigeria
✟17,978.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hebrews 6:17-18
NKJV: Thus God, determining to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath, that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I want to take part in this conversation.
I will start at an observation. We are looking at something about trustworthiness, and the number "2". It might be about the legal principle, that "by 2 or 3 witnesses, a matter shall be established". So the number 2 could be a symbolic statement. Although I prefer to think it is literal. And it would make sense in the context.

So, first off, in the immediate context there is a discussion of God's promise to Abraham, where God sware by himself. God is of course immutable. And if God swears by himself, that makes the promise immutable.
So in principle we could rest our case by answering, well then those 2 things are God and his promise, right? But I would think there is more at play here. The whole letter of hebrews is about the new and better covenant, which came off Christ's death on the cross. "the doctrine of Christ" as mentioned in verse 1. So it could be that the 2 immutable things are God's promise and Christ's death on the cross. In some interesting way, this also makes relevant the word "2 immutable things", since Christ being divine is also immutable.

So my suggestion is, that the 2 immutable things are really God the Father, and God the Son. The first made an immutable promise, and the second made an immutable sacrifice.

regards, Peter

Reactions: Fearnot87
Upvote 0

Fearnot87

Feb 16, 2015
Awka, Nigeria
✟17,978.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I will start at an observation. We are looking at something about trustworthiness, and the number "2". It might be about the legal principle, that "by 2 or 3 witnesses, a matter shall be established". So the number 2 could be a symbolic statement. Although I prefer to think it is literal. And it would make sense in the context.

So, first off, in the immediate context there is a discussion of God's promise to Abraham, where God sware by himself. God is of course immutable. And if God swears by himself, that makes the promise immutable.
So in principle we could rest our case by answering, well then those 2 things are God and his promise, right? But I would think there is more at play here. The whole letter of hebrews is about the new and better covenant, which came off Christ's death on the cross. "the doctrine of Christ" as mentioned in verse 1. So it could be that the 2 immutable things are God's promise and Christ's death on the cross. In some interesting way, this also makes relevant the word "2 immutable things", since Christ being divine is also immutable.

So my suggestion is, that the 2 immutable things are really God the Father, and God the Son. The first made an immutable promise, and the second made an immutable sacrifice.

regards, Peter

Upvote 0

Fearnot87

Feb 16, 2015
Awka, Nigeria
✟17,978.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jo Brother Peter, thanks so much for your insightful inputs, however a closer study or look at the scripture can say more .

ANS; GOD'S PROMISE AND OATH TO ABRAHAM ARE THE TWO(2) IMMUTABLE THINGS

Hebrews 6:18
AMP: This was so that, by two unchangeable things [His promise and His oath] in which it is impossible for God ever to prove false or deceive us, we who have fled [to Him] for refuge might have mighty indwelling strength and strong encouragement to grasp and hold fast the hope appointed for us and set before [us].

EMPHASIS .
If you read earlier verses of the same passage, you notice it spoke about Abraham down to our anchor scripture .
God first made a promise to Papa Abraham in Gen. 12:1-3, where he asked him to leave his Father's house for a land He would show him .
In Verse: 3 God promised to make him a fleshly foundational channel through which the whole Families of Nations of the world will be blessed .
God was referring to a futuristic and predestined salvation that would come to mankind through Jesus Christ would later proceed from Abraham , Gala 3:8,14
God's predetermined plan for man's Salvation was first promised to Abraham who is our Father of Faith .

MISTERY OF GOD'S OATH TO ABRAHAM .
In Israel, Oath taking was an end to doubt,dispute and uncertainty regarding some issues within human spheres, Num. 5:18-22, Exo. 22:10-12.
Under the old covenant, in an event of Doubt, mistrust , infidelity, loss and fracas,
Oath taking before the Lord became the only determining factor to prove one's innocence because whoever takes the oath in Guilt and pretence shall suffer God's anger .
Oath taking became an end to certain dispute, doubt and uncertainty .
Also it's usually taken by humans before a higher Deity .
In Gen.15:1-end, in God's response to Abraham's question about the certainty of God's promise to give him a son,God entered into Covenant with him .
Covenant and oath are sometimes used interwovenly in the bible .
God's covenant and Oath with Abraham ended any form of doubt or uncertainty that may have risen in Abraham's heart .
In Gen. 22:16-18, after Abraham obeyed God to offer Isaac as a sacrifice ,moreover, since God couldn't find someone greater than He, He finally swore an Oath by Himself and through Himself reaffirming Abraham His purported purpose for the salvation of Mankind in making us heirs of His Promise through Jesus who would proceed from him.
Gen.22;18 was a product of an Oath sworn to our Father Abraham but has become the reality of our Salvation through Jesus Christ .

Genesis 22:18
NKJV: In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”

Galatians 3:16
NKJV: Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,” who is Christ.

Upvote 0

Fearnot87

Feb 16, 2015
Awka, Nigeria
✟17,978.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

regards, Peter
HOW GOD'S PROMISE AND OATH BENEFIT US TODAY.

Our Salvation and its other related benefits we enjoy in Christ are part of the fulfilment of Gods Promise and Oath to Abraham , in which God would make all the families of the earth to be blessed(Saved and Redeemed) through Christ .
Invariably this kind of blessedness is not primarily material blessings but rather a Spiritual blessing regarding or resulting to the salvation and redemption of our souls in Christ.
Furthermore this has become our greatest Faith anchor and source of trust and encouragement that God can never fail us because we are joint Heirs with Him .

Upvote 0