What are examples, if any, of "sensible" languages?

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The word ye also means you, as in "Come all Ye Faithful."

True - sometimes 'ye' (the) gets confused with 'ye' (you). Ye (the) is actually pronounced the same as 'the'.

How did you type the thorn on your keyboard?

To type þ use ALT + 0254.

This is a different version call 'eth' - ð (ALT + 0240) (I've bolded and increased the font size to make it clearer)

OB

• Informative
Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Now you know about thorn and eth you should have no trouble translating this bit of Old English.

HINT 1. try reading it out loud pronouncing each letter individually. Listen to the sound. Don't be confused by the spelling.
HINT 2. it's probably the best known piece of scripture there is. :)

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum;
Si þin nama gehalgod
to becume þin rice
gewurþe ðin willa
on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge
ac alys us of yfele
soþlice

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course, it is in no way super hard to learn, it is basically just about memorizing and learning, after all, but stuff that still complicates things a bit. For a Finnish speaker, the first hurdle of English is to learn to separate female persons from male persons with she and he. Articles are the next one. Thankfully there are just four options. I still simply forget to put one in there occasionally, and also get the logic of none/definite/indefinite wrong at times, because my native language doesn't have them. But you are right, in most cases incorrect or forgotten article doesn't really interfere with understanding.
True. Though like I said, and this is why it's hard for me to decide whether I see articles as unnecessary, is that even though most of the time they don't add any information, sometimes they do clarify a meaning. There are, for example, some passages in the New Testament that are more ambiguous because Greek back then didn't have an indefinite article.

English prepositions are the trickiest one, IMO, not least because the logic -- whether something is in or on or at the table and the like -- is fairly similar to my second language, Swedish, both being Indo-European Germanic languages, but still with some differences where the logic departs to two different directions, muddying the waters further.
To me, "general" usage of prepositions isn't too bad when learning another language, e.g. the fact you say "on the table" rather than "in the table", "of the table", "with the table," etc. The hardest part about prepositions is remembering when a verb requires it, because you not only have to remember the verb itself, but what preposition to use. For example, in English you don't look something; instead, you look at something. Without the preposition "at" the sentence is ungrammatical (e.g. "I look the sky"). So not only do you have to remember the verb itself, you also have to remember that it requires the preposition.

This makes some sense for verbs that change meaning based on prepositions (e.g. compare "to count", which means determine the number of, versus "to count on", which means to rely on) but verbs that always require a preposition might as well not even have one.

Word order is also something that I as a non-native English speaker have to pay extra attention to, because word order in Finnish is more relaxed.

Joe loves woods. Woods Joe loves. Loves Joe woods. Woods loves Joe. Loves woods Joe.
Joe rakastaa metsiä. Metsiä rakastaa Joe. Rakastaa metsiä Joe. Joe metsiä rakastaa. Metsiä Joe rakastaa. Perhaps somewhat more poetic, but still perfectly correct and preserves the meaning.

I went to the park for a walk today:
Kävin tänään puistossa kävelyllä. Tänään kävin puistossa kävelyllä. Puistossa kävelyllä kävin tänään. Kävelyllä kävin puistossa tänään. No difference and the meaning doesn't get destroyed.
The downside of that is, if my understanding of Finnish is correct (and it might not be), Finnish has a complex noun case system, right? English word order might be restrictive, but it means that aside from pronouns, the nouns stay the same no matter what they're being used for. The general rule of "subject verb object" seems simpler (at least for someone trying to learn the language) than having to remember all of the different case forms.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To me, "general" usage of prepositions isn't too bad when learning another language, e.g. the fact you say "on the table" rather than "in the table", "of the table", "with the table," etc.

Here in Finland, Finnish speaking pupils usually learn Swedish and English side by side, which means that you can go from a Swedish class to a English class back-to-back. No problem if and when the logic of prepositions remains the same: på bussen, på tåget men i bilen -- on the bus, on the train but in the car. But there are exceptions, and that's when it gets trickier to try and remember which language uses what preposition again.

The downside of that is, if my understanding of Finnish is correct (and it might not be), Finnish has a complex noun case system, right? English word order might be restrictive, but it means that aside from pronouns, the nouns stay the same no matter what they're being used for. The general rule of "subject verb object" seems simpler (at least for someone trying to learn the language) than having to remember all of the different case forms.

Absolutely. The Finnish noun cases, although very challenging to foreigners, do allow a lot expressiveness, however. You can put so much nuance in there just by adding a few more letters or playing with the order of the word. Laulella and lauleskella are so much more vivid activities than the plain laulaa, to sing.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0