Politics
US-Green
In no particular order

The catcher in the rye
To kill a mockingbird
The Art of War
Lord of the Flies
War and Peace

I have read The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Lord of the Flies

I read them in high school....required reading for school

Reactions: JD16
Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think your post violates forum rules or site rules :D:D:D

I absolutely LOVED reading books....but then I got addicted to the Internet and to my smartphone.

It's a little difficult for me to read books now because I don't have the attention span or concentration/focus anymore

I understand completely :) Kindle is a wonderful thing if you use your phone a lot. I recently signed up for the kindle unlimited 30 day free trial and so far I am absolutely impressed :) Though if you are not willing and/or do not have the funds for the ten dollars a month you can check out bookbub.com They let you know when books of your interests are on sale (or free!) And of course you can nearly always find good ones on amazon, apple books, or google play books. Sorry I am rambling now. The topic excites me! I am done now :D

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I understand completely :) Kindle is a wonderful thing if you use your phone a lot. I recently signed up for the kindle unlimited 30 day free trial and so far I am absolutely impressed :) Though if you are not willing and/or do not have the funds for the ten dollars a month you can check out bookbub.com They let you know when books of your interests are on sale (or free!) And of course you can nearly always find good ones on amazon, apple books, or google play books. Sorry I am rambling now. The topic excites me! I am done now :D

I tried out Kindle for awhile....but when I was reading a book for school on my smartphone (using the Kindle app), the Kindle app repeatedly lost my place in the ebook that I was reading.

Personally, I prefer old-fashioned paper books :)

Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They do both have ups and downs :) For me, I am a very touchy feely person. There is just something about a book physically being there. Something about running your hands along the pages. I cannot explain it.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
They do both have ups and downs :) For me, I am a very touchy feely person. There is just something about a book physically being there. Something about running your hands along the pages. I cannot explain it.

I know what you are talking about. I enjoy turning the pages of an actual physical book :):):)

• Agree
Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the welcome :D I read so many books it is ridiculous. Someone please tell me if this is against site rules so I can take it down. I am not sure if it is. But I review books for a few major publishing companies and get free copies in the mail. My blog was accidentally deleted a few weeks ago, so the new one is a bit empty. However, if you would like to read my reviews to make the world's most difficult choice ( deciding which book to read) you can view it here.
that sounds like an awesome gig!

• Agree
Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I bought A Confederacy of Dunces on a trip to New Orleans years ago as I like to read books set in areas I visit. I didn't like it at all, though. Could you please explain what I missed about what made it so great? I am sure the fault is in this reader but I would like to know what people see in it. Thanks

Upvote 0

C. Cole-Chakotay

Oct 12, 2015
✟15,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Aside from the KJV Bible, my top five books are:

The Stand by Stephen King
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
On the Beach by Nevil Shute
The Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins
Non-fiction biographies and historical books

Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

Northbrook

No sé vivir sin Dios
Jul 19, 2018
Chicago
✟39,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
3. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
4. Lives of the Great Composers by Nicholas Slominsky
And 5. Phaedra by Jean Racine

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anna Therese

May 18, 2018
USA
✟19,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
61TAFMk9UzL._SX372_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

st-alphonsus-de-liguori-true-spouse_1_1cd214b873e74203c91efd3747dd9cc7.jpg

71Ifo4WO7jL.jpg

5127AdEO6wL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: Athanasius7
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
A Room of One’s Own. It reinforced the necessity of financial independence and its correlation to creativity.

The Magic of Thinking Big. It provided good methods for problem-solving and the importance of a positive mindset when facing challenges and pursuing goals.

Swann’s Way. It’s the most beautiful writing I’ve encountered. I didn’t enjoy the character. But Proust drew me in and I became a fan instantly.

Pride and Prejudice. I fell in love with the epistolary form and felt transported to a different era. Her wit is razor sharp and entertaining.

The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. Helped me understand the challenges creators face and the necessity of maintaining vision and personal ethos when opposition arises.

• Haha
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I bought A Confederacy of Dunces on a trip to New Orleans years ago as I like to read books set in areas I visit. I didn't like it at all, though. Could you please explain what I missed about what made it so great? I am sure the fault is in this reader but I would like to know what people see in it. Thanks
I listened to the audiobook and thought it was hilarious. It's noted for being an accurate portrayal of the city of New Orleans in a work of fiction. It does go over the top with obscenity, however. I wonder if this is why you didn't like it.

• Useful
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I listened to the audiobook and thought it was hilarious. It's noted for being an accurate portrayal of the city of New Orleans in a work of fiction. It does go over the top with obscenity, however. I wonder if this is why you didn't like it.
Thanks for your answer! I don't think it was the profanity that bothered me, though. I think I found it depressing partly because the author committed suicide.

Upvote 0