What Anglican province(s) and/or church(es) do you belong to?

• Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand, and Polynesia

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Anglican Church in North America

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Anglican Church of Australia

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Anglican Church of Canada

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Anglican Church of Southern Africa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Church of England

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Church of Nigeria

• Church of Uganda

• The Episcopal Church

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Other Anglican Church

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Rachel96

May 23, 2013
Australia
✟18,466.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anglican Church in Australia. I'm from the Diocese of Adelaide (with strong family connections to Willochra where my grandfather ministered for many years) but I live in Melbourne 8 months of the year for university - I have no idea which episcopate I'm in.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Anglican Church in Australia. I'm from the Diocese of Adelaide (with strong family connections to Willochra where my grandfather ministered for many years) but I live in Melbourne 8 months of the year for university - I have no idea which episcopate I'm in.

then you're in the Diocese of Melbourne. Anglican Diocese of Melbourne

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The diocese of Melbourne is sub-divided into three "areas of episcopal care," each overseen by an assistant bishop. Rachel, broadly, if you're in the inner city, you're in Marmingatha (overseen by Bishop Genieve), if you're in the south-east you're in Jumbunna (overseen by Bishop Paul) and if you're in the north-west you're in Oodthenong (overseen by Bishop Philip). But the boundaries are weird, so if you'd really like to know, let me know where you are and I'll tell you!

Reactions: Targaryen
Upvote 0

Rachel96

May 23, 2013
Australia
✟18,466.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The diocese of Melbourne is sub-divided into three "areas of episcopal care," each overseen by an assistant bishop. Rachel, broadly, if you're in the inner city, you're in Marmingatha (overseen by Bishop Genieve), if you're in the south-east you're in Jumbunna (overseen by Bishop Paul) and if you're in the north-west you're in Oodthenong (overseen by Bishop Philip). But the boundaries are weird, so if you'd really like to know, let me know where you are and I'll tell you!

I think it would be Jumbunna then - I've heard Bishop Paul mentioned and I'm definitely SE of the city.

then you're in the Diocese of Melbourne. Anglican Diocese of Melbourne

I'd worked out that much but as Paidiske explained, Melbourne is divided into three sub-diocese things each with their own bishop. I've yet to work out how much each of the sub-diocese things functions as their own diocese and how much it's more a whole-Melbourne thing, given they have their own bishops... and also the population of Melbourne alone is three times that of South Australia as a whole!

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm also in Jumbunna. If you'd ever like to meet up, PM me and let me know. :)

The "areas of episcopal care" don't really function as dioceses at all, it's just a convenient way to work out which assistant bishop looks after which parishes.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I've never heard of an urban area, like I would assume most of the Diocese of Melbourne is, needing suffragans to function properly. In Canada, suffragans exist but they are in dioceses that are usually defined by large remotely accessible parishes, case in point the Diocese of the Arctic.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I've never heard of an urban area, like I would assume most of the Diocese of Melbourne is, needing suffragans to function properly. In Canada, suffragans exist but they are in dioceses that are usually defined by large remotely accessible parishes, case in point the Diocese of the Arctic.
There are quite a few geographically small dioceses that have multiple bishops in the US. One of the biggest issues is episcopal visitation.

Upvote 0

Rachel96

May 23, 2013
Australia
✟18,466.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there's been a bishop visit my parish since I arrived in Melbourne, but I've been to services in other parishes (and once at the Cathedral) that's had a bishop there. I suppose if you're going to a "special event"...

I'm just trying to think if the bishop's visited my parish in Adelaide recently, and I think it's once in the last two years, plus once for a confirmation since I've been in Melbourne - but we didn't have a bishop for a while there. Before I tried to think about it, I thought we'd seen the bishop much more frequently, but I think that's just because a couple of the previous bishops of Willochra are family friends so I'm definitely in the presence of "a bishop" much more when I'm in Adelaide.

I hadn't heard of the idea before I came to Melbourne but it makes a certain amount of sense the way Paidiske explains it. Melbourne is just VERY big and it seems the three sub-divisions are a way of easily giving areas of responsibility in the bishop-team.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums