• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What All Can You Do With a Linux Boot USB?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TenthAveN, Dec 11, 2020.

1. TenthAveN

TenthAveN Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.

+438
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Me again,

I successfully created a Linux Mint Cinnamon bootable USB (after much trial and error), and as far as personalization goes, I like it already. I was wondering what else I should try doing.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+6,348
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Toss it in the bin, get some VM ware, and run both operating systems simultaneously.

3. TenthAveN

+438
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Is there a way to make the bootable USB persistent? I heard that reduces the USB’s lifespan

4. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,050
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    If you like it, use the 'install' option. You can set up a dual boot, or blow Windows away and just use Linux, or set up the Linux as a virtual machine with Window running AND Linux at the same time. IF you do that be sure to max out your RAM in your computer. RAM is cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. chevyontheriver

+10,050
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I did that once, which is basically to have a large USB drive that has a live distro AND some read/write space to save files. Don't ask me how I did that right now.

So what if the USB drive doesn't last as long? Make a backup copy of the USB drive so you are ready for a failure. You should ALWAYS back up your important data because inevitably some disk will fail at just the wrong time.

6. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+4,987
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    MX Linux has a few persistence options when you make a USB from a running instance, which it has a utility for (and that running instance can itself be on a USB).

I would play with it for a while, and if you like it (or another Linux flavor), install, either dual boot, or better, overwrite Windows if you don't need to run proprietary software.

EDIT: Also, most windows software can be run in Linux on Wine.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  7. TenthAveN

+438
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    How long did yours last?

8. chevyontheriver

+10,050
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I met the developer of Wine. And they have a definition of Wine, of course it's a recursive definition. Here goes.

Wine Is Not Emulation.

But it does work pretty well for most things.

9. chevyontheriver

+10,050
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I tend to lose them. Or I find I really need a USB stick for work so I have to rewrite a Linux stick to transfer data or something. Now I keep a bunch of USB sticks but I had to overwrite a few times. But then I have Linux installed and have had it going since forever.

10. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+4,987
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    An app being native is always better, but Wine works very well for the only prog I need it for, theWord Bible software, and for that I use it every day.

11. adrianmonk

adrianmonk Recursive Algorithm

+371
    United States
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
  12. Gidgx

Gidgx Truth Seeker Supporter

+796
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    I have linux on a USB. I think it's Debian with knome. It's called fix me stick.

13. elytron

elytron Active Member

+147
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Recently spent $11 for a copy of PartedMagic
    Parted Magic Linux DistroWatch
    So far I Secure Erase two laptop SSD drives with it. I boot from a USB thumb drive.