What Advice Would You Give to Someone Who Received Tongues?

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I believe the context of this quote by Paul is in the assembly of believers. Not all speak in tongues and not all prophesy. I have the gift of speaking in tongues but i have used it little in the church. partly because I lack faith to receive an interpretation and Paul says the interpretation MUST accompany tongues expression at this level. This in no way invalidates the gift I received when I was filled with the Holy Spirit.
copyChkboxOff.gif
1Cr 12:27Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Cr 12:28And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Cr 12:29[Are] all apostles? [Are] all prophets? [Are] all teachers? [Are] all workers of miracles?

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Cr 12:30Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Cr 12:31But earnestly desire the best [fn] gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

Does paul tell us what those best gifts are? I don't think he does, I think the best gifts are those needed at the time those that we use in faith led by the Holy Spirit.
gg

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
For someone who wants advise on tongues.. Read 1 Corithians 12-14. Then let the Holy Spirit decide. Like Paul says.. there are greater gifts than tongues. Desire what the Holy Spirit wants...

Just on a side note here, this would be one of the unrecognized reasons we as Christians are so divergent in our understanding of the gifts.

As a rule of thumb, I don't discount the experience a person has in an area when I am researching and learning a subject. If I have no real personal experience in a particular area of GOD's gifts, say interpretation of tongues in the assembly, then I will search out people who do that I can ask them questions about it. The Holy Spirit is more than able to provide checks within our spirit when a person does not know what they are talking about on a subject, as well as witness to a persons truth they convey to us.

I feel very fortunate to have spent some time at an old pentecostal church when GOD was teaching me about some of HIS giftings. Being able to experience the spiritual edification of a tongues message as well as the edification that came from the interpretation of that message, solidifies our understanding of scripture much better. Additionally, seeing how a person can start in The Spirit with their message but end up on the flesh, and experiencing how just filthy that fleshly part is to us, provides greater understanding to how the gifts perform good or bad through people, and how holiness is paramount to their correct flow through us.

Being able to learn not just be revelation knowledge, but also by personal events from The Lord is priceless. We should never discount how The Holy Spirit will use people's knowledge and wisdom in teaching us. He is able to guide us with that also, as long as we are allowing Him to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,155.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have the gift of speaking in tongues but i have used it little in the church. partly because I lack faith to receive an interpretation and Paul says the interpretation MUST accompany tongues expression at this level.
This is a common problem. A lot of people don't have the confidence to speak out a message in tongues because they don't know if an interpreter is present. I have the gift of interpretation of tongues, so I am telling people in a meeting that I have the gift so they know that I they feel moved to give a tongues message, they know it is going to be interpreted.

Upvote 0

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My brief history is this.

I grew up UPCI. 20 years spent there. Eating and breathing their doctrine and man made laws. Tongues was it.. It was the spiritual plateau, deeply sought by man and woman alike. To many sundays I watched people labor for something that for some reason was so elusive. And if for some reason that person did speak in tounges, and yet their heart was right with God, this person, based on UPCI doctrine would still go to hell.

Something was not right. My last 4-5 years in the UPCI was tough because I started reading and asking a lot of questions. I started searching for truth and I got. Scripture that had been improperly quoted and interpreted to fit the UPC slant was made clear, and then all of a sudden, this spiritual weight lifted. I no longer had to fit this mold anymore. Paul made it clear that his HS gives to us as He wills...

When you realize that God is incontrol of everything. That all things should work under HIS will.. not mine or yours, that your spiritual walk is under his architecture, there is a freedom of spirituality and a freedom to be who you are. Hebrews 12 says that he is the author and finisher (Perfector) or our faith. Why do I want something in my life, that HE may not want. Be open to his perfect will and be satisfied.

My spiritual gifting is not tongues, however I believe that it is faith, wisdom, knowledge and discernment... I have given an interpretation one time and that was OF GOD. Do I have that gift.. .I can't say I do.. but when you are open to the Holy Spirit... he will equip you when needed... as I said earlier.. it's a not 10 step process to learn any gift, it's just ONE big step of faith.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,155.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is the prayer that I praying for my church, which is a middle of the road, evangelistic Presbyterian church that does not "practice" the spiritual gifts:

Colossians 1:9-11
For this reason, since the day we heard about you,
we have not stopped praying for you and
asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will
through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.
And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord
and may please him in every way:
bearing fruit in every good work,
growing in the knowledge of God,
being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might
so that you may have great endurance and patience,
and joyfully giving thanks to the Father

This is the foundation of Christian life and ministry, and it may or may not include tongues (actually, it doesn't have to). But in the context of the Scripture, those who are walking in the light of it will know God's will for them and what their particular giftings are. Once we all know that, I believe there will be greater harmony among us in the Lord.

Upvote 0