What Advice Would You Give to Someone Who Received Tongues?

rita727

Jul 29, 2006
A Pineapple under the Sea
✟23,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I want to practice tongues more to help my spiritual walk. But, sometimes, I get discouraged because I don't know what I'm saying or if its about what I was first praying.

My question is: what advice would you give to someone who wants to use this gift more?

(PS: this may've been asked on the forums before. if so, i'm sorry. it's been forever since I've been here)

Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
don't be sorry for asking. we are here for each other. I am not someone who can just pray in the Spirit at rhe drop of a hat (no offense anybody)

I would suggest not focusing on tongues and pray in the Spirit when you feel led to. You don't have to pray in tongues to spend time with God.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think imperfect has hit on the key. I remember when i was seeking the Baptism in the Holy Spirit I for the longest time focused on the tongues. I was prayed for but just couldn't get the break though. However when I humbled my self totally in my own living room at my couch in the middle of the night, admitting to Jesus that I was at the end of myself and couldn't think of what else to do but surrender I had the most "wonder" filled sense of light and peace and the tongues flowed without any effort. Of course I did doubt if it was from God afterward but I think this happens to most people and is pretty nearly always one of the tricks of Satan the thief uses to rob God's children. Now I usually pray in tongues when I cannot understand how to pray. Otherwise I speak in my own language. I also use tongues quiety during corporate worship as for me it is amost wonderful way to worship and often God will give me a scripture or a picture message to share with the body. Tongues is a gift and as such should be opened and used as it was meant for intecession and edification and praise.

Jud 1:20But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 8:26Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us [fn] with groanings which cannot be uttered.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 8:27Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit [is], because He makes intercession for the saints according to [the will of] God.
1Cr 14:2For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Cr 14:3But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Cr 14:4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The way to develop your speaking in tongues is to put it to use in intercession and for strengthening your faith. Think of the people you know who needs your prayers the most, then ask the Lord to guide your tongue, and then start praying in tongues. The tongue will then latch on to the burden of your heart, and instead of speaking just with your mouth, you will be speaking from your heart. As that happens you will find the language changing and deepening with more expression. You will not know exactly what you are saying, but you will sense virtue coming out of you to the Lord and you will have the sense that you are expressing your heart to Him. There will be a flow in the Spirit which you will sense as you pray in tongues. You may then experience the fruit of the Spirit in a more effective way; eg: you may experience deeper love for people, more joy, a more peaceful disposition in the midst of trials, a stronger faith, more patience, gentleness with others, etc. All these things are made stronger through praying in tongues.

You can ask the Lord to guide your tongue to provide for yourself an environment so you can find better expression to pay in English, and to have deeper insights in the Word of God.

Much of the reluctance in some for tongues is that they think it is some kind of "toy" to babble away in worship times for no purpose. But in your prayer life it is an effective prayer tool and you can use it that way.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I want to practice tongues more to help my spiritual walk. But, sometimes, I get discouraged because I don't know what I'm saying or if its about what I was first praying.

My question is: what advice would you give to someone who wants to use this gift more?

(PS: this may've been asked on the forums before. if so, i'm sorry. it's been forever since I've been here)

Tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. As you draw closer to G-d and spend time praying , worshiping and also times in corporate prayer and worship ,then the gifts of the Spirit are more likely to increase.

You can desire spiritual gifts and specifically pray to G-d for more operation in your life of the gifts. There are several gifts and they are all used to build you up and also to build up the body of Christ. 1 Corinthians chapter 12- 14 is a really good scripture passage to study about this subject.

Upvote 0

Wells Marsh

Apr 21, 2010
Georgia
✟8,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear Rita727;

The Holy Spirit helped me with this: Praying in the Spirit is praying God’s perfect will into your life and circumstances, and into the lives and circumstances of others.

Simply yield to the Holy Spirit and trust in Him to pray the perfect prayer through you. Sometimes, I lift up specific things to Him. Other times, I leave the things up to Him. Sometimes He puts a person on my heart and I pray for them. When praying in the Spirit, trust in the Holy Spirit to know what/who needs prayer.

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm.. I wonder where the Idea of practicing tongues is in scripture is mentioned. I seriously have to ask. No where do I ever recall that speaking in tongues is something is considered a skill or talent that must be honed like a sport or craft. These are the "gifts of the spirit". The HS gives them to us to use... Does the HS only give us part of the gift.. or a certain level of the gift that we can then upgrade with more experience points like we are playing some type of Role Playing game?

Upvote 0

Wells Marsh

Apr 21, 2010
Georgia
✟8,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
RevKidd;

The more time you spend in the Word, the more you renew your mind to the Word, the more Godly fruit will be manifest in your life. You could even call this practicing the Word…

Does the Holy Spirit give us complete revelation of the Word when we read it the first time? No, not even the second or the third time.

Blessings

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Maturing and increasing in the use of the gifts of the Spirit is a valid desire. It is obtained through the same means as increase in any area of your Christian walk. Studying the scripture , praying , help from other believers.

Don't be discouraged. G-d looks at the big picture and the long term , not just how it went in the last 24 hours. My advice is don't lose track of the big picture which is the love of G-d and your heart's intention to do His will. The details of this issue may take a while to sort out and become clear.

Upvote 0

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
RevKidd;

The more time you spend in the Word, the more you renew your mind to the Word, the more Godly fruit will be manifest in your life. You could even call this practicing the Word…

Does the Holy Spirit give us complete revelation of the Word when we read it the first time? No, not even the second or the third time.

Blessings

Hmm... Apples and Oranges IMO. Two different things.. And really I think many people complicate scripture as well. I think to many people are looking for the esoteric hidden messages in scripture when the authors never had the intention. Their letters to the churches were using "Plain English" (metaphor) and we should read them with the same intent.

I will say that when it comes to the gifts, that for many of us, we must "Boldly go where no man has gone before". The gifts require us to step out in faith and use what the HS wants us to use. The day of pentecost is a perfect example. We don't see Peter, being intimidated, shying away and taking some time off to learn how to use what was just given him. In fact, the power of the Holy Spirit equipped, not partially, but fully, the gifts that Peter used that day. And it wasn't just tongues folks. He used, prophecy, faith, wisdom etc., It wasn't the tongues alone that saved 3000 it was all the gifts being used.

That is why I am a firm believer in what Paul teaches. Not everyone will speak in tongues. We are a body, each part with their own gift. The Holy Spirit decides what we are to use, not what we want because my friend has it, or it's the new thing at church. When the church realizes that all the gifts are as equal to each other, then will the church be stronger. And I speak not just about pentecostal churches. Just imagine if all protestant churches would some how realize that all the gifts are to be used today, in proper context, how much more powerful the entire church body will be.

People need to realize that tongues, is not just it... We need all the gifts of the spirit working.. but it takes faith and stepping out..

I guess I will end with this. It's not a process, or a 10 step plan to learn to do anything. It's one big giant step of faith, and just allowing the HS to work in you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A person needs to keep working on a musical instrument to stay in a place where they are playing it to the accepted standard. The "use it or lose it" principle works with everything. I define "practice" in terms of tongues is "regular use". It is in the same sense as someone "practising" law or medicine. They are known for being involved in it on a regular basis. It is a natural consequence of the regular use of a skill that a person becomes more proficient in it. Isn't it amazing that when some people enter the church they leave their brains outside and enter some mystical state where ordinary common sense is suspended. No wonder there are some wacky Christians around! :D

Now, something more positive and useful.

In my musings last night as I drifted off to sleep, I was thinking about the glory of God and that we can enter into it. I thought of Enoch who so enjoyed walking with God and lifting himself up to heaven in fellowship with Him, that one day he never came down again! Then I thought, how do we raise ourselves above the natural and enter into the glory of God - in our fellowship meetings, at work, at home, etc. I have a wonderful and practical answer:

Speaking in tongues!

The Scripture says that when we speak in tongues we speak mysteries to God and that we as believers are built up, or strengthened. As we pray in tongues we establish a direct spirit to Spirit communication with God and we are lifted up from the natural to the spiritual, from earth to heaven. We then enter into the glory of God where we are and fellowship in His presence. When I am trudging toward the bus stop on a cold Monday morning to get to work, things change when I converse with the Lord in tongues, so that while I am cold on the outside, I am all warm, peaceful and joyful on the inside. My outer self is in the cold, wet, depressing Monday morning natural, while my inside is fellowshipping with the Lord in the glory. Praise God!

I also discovered that the glory of God is not a sensory experience. Just because people shake and shimmer or holy roll on the floor, it doesn't mean that they are in the glory. They may still be in the flesh.

No. Being in the glory is being loving, joyful, peaceful, having much patience, being gentle, having much kindness, having a stronger faith, and being totally self controlled. Guess what? These are the fruit of the Spirit! So, being in the glory means that we are totally full of the fruit of the Spirit so that we radiate the reality of Jesus to all around us, while basking in the wonderful presence of God. This is how we raise ourself up to heaven. This is what Enoch experienced, and he got so immersed in the glory of God, he forgot to come back again! :amen::clap:

Smith Wigglesworth's wife was a Holy Ghost preacher and she said that when she preached it felt like to her that she was going up to heaven. She told him that one day she might never come down again. One day, after preaching, she collapsed and died at the Mission door as she was leaving to go home. She was taken home dead. Wigglesworth rebuked the spirit of death and brought her back for a short while, but he knew that it was her time to go so he let her go to be with the Lord. She got so close to heaven that day that she did not come down again but died in the arms of the Lord! A wonderful testimony.

I reckon those were some very encouraging and comforting thoughts to have just before falling asleep at night. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rita727

Jul 29, 2006
✟23,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hmm.. I wonder where the Idea of practicing tongues is in scripture is mentioned. I seriously have to ask. No where do I ever recall that speaking in tongues is something is considered a skill or talent that must be honed like a sport or craft.

The Parable of Talents.
God gives each of us a gift. He wants us to develop what He's given us. When the Father returns, He wants a return on His 'investment.'

You may interpret that parable differently. But regardless, whatever God stewards to us, we'll need to give an account for. And not just that, but for however much he's given us, will be how much He expects from us. (Where much is given, much is required).

Lately, I've only used my gifts when I felt like it, or when it was convienent for me. And that's not good. I think that displeases God, which is why I want to "practice" speaking in tongues more often. Fair enough? :)

Upvote 0

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here's my advice, stop caring whether you speak in tongues or not!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

How about you focus on praying more, or getting in touch with God better, and let him work out the means. If you are praying, focus on praying not babbling!:mad: if God wants you to speak in tongues, you will! It is a gift, you don't do anything to get it,It is fully up to God. If you are generating it, then it is a mockery of the gift! In addition, I hope that you are praying in tongues between you and God, and not making a spectacle out of yourself by speaking uniteligably without any interpretation!:mad:

I may at first glance sound like an opponent of tongues, but I assure you I am not. I have spoken in tongues on multiple occasions when I was in deep prayer. My first time praying in tongues was accidental, and at that point I didn't believe that it was for this time. I never really got a huge kick out of it. My view is, if it happens, then it happens if not then who cares, remember prayer is for God not for you.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think God cares that we speak in tongues. It is not necessary to get all worked up in prayer to speak in tongues it is as natural as breathing all we have to do is relax in the Spirit trusting God and allow it to flow. It can seem awkward at first as it is so different from what we have experienced up to that point and as I mentioned earlier our enemy Satan plants seed of doubt. I have some liken initial tongues to baby talk and I do hear your term "babbling". I pray in tongues often not daily i am sorry to say but when my son two weeks ago fell and hit his head on our pavement and went into a full grand mal seizure I was at his head as soon as I was alerted fully aware and doing my nursing/first aid things to keep him safe but also praying in tongues. I didn't even think about it they were there. I wonder if I didn't care or not if I spoke in tongues and just 'waited on God' to move my tongue for me if that gift would have been available to me at that time. I do not know but I am glad it was. He is recovering well BTW. GG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JSGuitarist

Παρα σοι ιλασμος εστιν
Mar 7, 2008
✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here's my advice, stop caring whether you speak in tongues or not!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

How about you focus on praying more, or getting in touch with God better, and let him work out the means. If you are praying, focus on praying not babbling!:mad: if God wants you to speak in tongues, you will! It is a gift, you don't do anything to get it,It is fully up to God. If you are generating it, then it is a mockery of the gift! In addition, I hope that you are praying in tongues between you and God, and not making a spectacle out of yourself by speaking uniteligably without any interpretation!:mad:

I may at first glance sound like an opponent of tongues, but I assure you I am not. I have spoken in tongues on multiple occasions when I was in deep prayer. My first time praying in tongues was accidental, and at that point I didn't believe that it was for this time. I never really got a huge kick out of it. My view is, if it happens, then it happens if not then who cares, remember prayer is for God not for you.

Thumbs up to this. It is something that is generated by the Spirit of God, and is one of His ways of manifesting Himself and determining direction of the church. If God calls you to do it, you will do it. Seek the gifts of the Spirit, pray earnestly, though let God be in control of them (I do believe in a God who answers prayers too).

If you pray and ask God, keep persisting. He will answer. It may not come right away, but He will answer :)

How God grants the gift may depend on where you are. It's a useful gift in a situation where not everyone speaks the same language, like in Acts 2. If someone comes into the church who doesn't know the language, and everyone claims to have the gift, but can't understand anyone nor can anyone talk to them, it's kind of a giveaway whether it's real.

Upvote 0

rita727

Jul 29, 2006
✟23,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Did you read my post? Or did you only read the title? If so read my post, you'd know why I believe it is a valid concern for me at this time.
How about you focus on praying more, or getting in touch with God better, and let him work out the means. If you are praying, focus on praying not babbling!:mad: if God wants you to speak in tongues, you will! It is a gift, you don't do anything to get it,It is fully up to God. If you are generating it, then it is a mockery of the gift!

Are all the :mad:-smilies really necessary? I was only asking a question. :) :D ^_^

Second, speaking in tongues IS praying. Remember? ;)
JSGuitarist said:
If God calls you to do it, you will do it. Seek the gifts of the Spirit, pray earnestly, though let God be in control of them (I do believe in a God who answers prayers too).

I already speak in tongues. I was moreso asking advice for the question I gave in my first post. However, you both said good points.

Thanks
:)
-Rita

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rita727

Jul 29, 2006
✟23,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You answered something I was thinking about regarding this--and that is, do you literally feel "built up" as you pray. I've heard from some of my friends that while they're being built up, they sometimes feel joy while praying in tongues.

I've felt a sense of happiness while praying, but not joy, which is something wholly different. But then you said that the glory isn't about sensory experience. So I guess if you do have a sensory experience--that's extra ^_^

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I know I am built up but I can't say there is a particular feeling attached as i pray. What I do notice is that if I pray in tongues for a time and then switch to English, then my prayers in English seem to become fuller and more complete and full of understanding and wisdom for an issue I am praying about. I do feel I am praying more in tune with God's will so that is encouraging. gg

Reactions: rita727
Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How about you focus on praying more, or getting in touch with God better, and let him work out the means. If you are praying, focus on praying not babbling! if God wants you to speak in tongues, you will! It is a gift, you don't do anything to get it,It is fully up to God. If you are generating it, then it is a mockery of the gift! In addition, I hope that you are praying in tongues between you and God, and not making a spectacle out of yourself by speaking uniteligably without any interpretation!

There is a simple way to determine whether an interpretation is needed. If a person is speaking to G-d then no interpretation is needed because G-d understands everything. If a person is speaking to other people in a language that they do not understand then an interpretation is needed because ...well because they don't understand. This clears it up and makes it simple.

So if someone speaks in tongues in a public meeting and is speaking to G-d , then the person who is judging another person's tongues should refrain from judging someone else's worship and prayer. To do so is misapplying scripture to the situation. 1 Corinthians 14 is cetainly not instructing us to judge and criticise someone else's worship. It also is not insturcting us to make legalistic rules. What it is doing is pointing out the common sense point that I made in my first paragraph in this post. many churches work times into their worship for public tongues which are addressed to G-d. Therefore no interpretation is needed. It is when a message is given to the congregation in tongues that interpretation is needed. When tongues is addressed to the whole congregation , then people may politely ask for an interpretation if one is not given. This is in keeping with scriptural behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: rita727
Upvote 0