May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why should we agree to that "at least" definition? Or rather, this equivocation?

If I tell you that God doesn't exist, and I do that because it pains me to see others live their life in bondage to a falsehood, and I want to free them from it... I am speaking "truth in love", right? A "truth in love" that negates the existence of God, right? While at the same time confirming your definition of God.

How can this be?

I'd say: because "God" is not "at least truth in love". This is just something that you a) want it to be and b) think you can demonstrate.
But just by using the term "God" instead of simply "truth in love" (or whatever else you want to define God as), you are adding several millennia of theological and philiosophical discussion onto this "at least" definition... and I have that nagging feeling that you would just start to add them into the discussion as soon as someone accepted your definition.

Sorry, but it just doesn't work this way.

great thoughts! Putting myself in the atheists shoes for a moment—it may be that what we think of as God is really just the highest intellectual/emotional state we humans are capable of now and throughout all history.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
great thoughts! Putting myself in the atheists shoes for a moment—it may be that what we think of as God is really just the highest intellectual/emotional state we humans are capable of now and throughout all history.
It may be harder for you to "put yourself into the atheists shoes" than you imagine.

See... an atheist doesn't think of anything "as God". You can bring up any idea you want... love, "highest intellectual/emotional states of humans", the colour green... atheists wouldn't think of it as "God"... for again two simple reasons: a) "God" is thought of by most people who bring up this concept as something totally different and b) if "God" is what you present... then it already has a description/definition/name... and there is no need to call it "God" and confuse it with all the other things people call "God".

You call yourself a "Christian". You quote from the Bible as your signature. Admit it: you think of "God" as a lot more than intellectual states or love.

Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It may be harder for you to "put yourself into the atheists shoes" than you imagine.

See... an atheist doesn't think of anything "as God". You can bring up any idea you want... love, "highest intellectual/emotional states of humans", the colour green... atheists wouldn't think of it as "God"... for again two simple reasons: a) "God" is thought of by most people who bring up this concept as something totally different and b) if "God" is what you present... then it already has a description/definition/name... and there is no need to call it "God" and confuse it with all the other things people call "God".

You call yourself a "Christian". You quote from the Bible as your signature. Admit it: you think of "God" as a lot more than intellectual states or love.

Thats true, I do think of God as more than that, but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t be wrong and “God” is actually just a combination of ancient stories and people’s most imaginative ideas of what a perfect being who created the universe is.

I consider myself more of a progressive Christian where I look at the most profound/useful ideas in Christianity and apply them to see how it effects my life and those around me, while deemphasizing some of the antiquated ideas that aren’t effective in the modern era. Turns out truth and love are timeless!

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
1. If we can at least define God as truth in love

2. And we can say we’ve experienced truth in love

3. Then we can say we’ve experienced God

4. Therefore, God exists

What’s wrong with this?

One issue I see is whether a definition of a thing and experiencing that thing is enough to conclude it exists and/or wether we can even agree to define God as at least truth in love

The problem I have is defining God as being some other thing for which we already have a perfectly valid definition. By this logic, I could define God as a toaster, show that I have a toaster, and then claim I own God. Clearly this reasoning is ludicrous. In order for your argument to be valid, you need to demonstrate that your claim that two things are equal is valid. In other words, in Premise 1, you need to show that when you say, "We can define God as X," that it is valid to define God as X.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
1. If we can at least define Zeus as truth in love

3. Then we can say we’ve experienced Zeus.

4. Therefore, Zeus exists

What’s wrong with this?

I'll let you figure it out.

*all bolding entirely mine

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1. If we can at least define God as truth in love

3. Then we can say we’ve experienced God

4. Therefore, God exists

What’s wrong with this?
1. If we can at least define Bigfoot as big and having feet

2. And we can say we’ve experienced big and have feet

3. Then we can say we’ve experienced Bigfoot

4. Therefore, Bigfoot exists

What’s wrong with this? ;)

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1. If we can at least define Bigfoot as big and having feet

2. And we can say we’ve experienced big and have feet

3. Then we can say we’ve experienced Bigfoot

4. Therefore, Bigfoot exists

What’s wrong with this? ;)

Eh, I see what you’re doing there, but not sure that it’s apples to apples.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'll let you figure it out.

*all bolding entirely mine

Yea good point. I guess it depends what you think “God” is. I can see “God” as the highest expression of human love and truth, no need to ad anything else, but that’s just me.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem I have is defining God as being some other thing for which we already have a perfectly valid definition. By this logic, I could define God as a toaster, show that I have a toaster, and then claim I own God. Clearly this reasoning is ludicrous. In order for your argument to be valid, you need to demonstrate that your claim that two things are equal is valid. In other words, in Premise 1, you need to show that when you say, "We can define God as X," that it is valid to define God as X.

Good points. I wonder if what people think is “God” is really just people across history being incredibly profound and loving(self giving/sacrificial) to the point of pure amazement. Like a moth to a flame, we can’t help but be attracted to amazing qualities/actions of good people. Thats my feeble attempt at understanding the gap between atheism and theism.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Good points. I wonder if what people think is “God” is really just people across history being incredibly profound and loving(self giving/sacrificial) to the point of pure amazement. Like a moth to a flame, we can’t help but be attracted to amazing qualities/actions of good people. Thats my feeble attempt at understanding the gap between atheism and theism.

I think you're pretty close there. People experience things that they can't explain, and so attribute those things to God. They then claim those things are proof that God exists. Yet time and again we have found that there is a natural, non-God explanation for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Eh, I see what you’re doing there, but not sure that it’s apples to apples.
Oh, but it is.

It might not be Macintosh to Macintosh. It's more like Honeycrisp to Macintosh. But they are still both apples.

So how do you like them apples?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you're pretty close there. People experience things that they can't explain, and so attribute those things to God. They then claim those things are proof that God exists. Yet time and again we have found that there is a natural, non-God explanation for them.

Yea, I could see that, and I’d ad that the ability to figure out the mysteries of reality is an amazing ability and I can understand why people would think so highly of it, even to the point of calling it God like. I think it’s important to recognize our abilities and also be humble enough to admit we don’t know everything, but there will always be that lingering possibility that maybe there’s a being out there that does know everything and that’s where theism can live.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yea good point. I guess it depends what you think “God” is. I can see “God” as the highest expression of human love and truth, no need to ad anything else, but that’s just me.
Love and truth are both great ideals, no need to add anything else.

Upvote 0

Lion IRC

Sep 10, 2012
✟19,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

See... an atheist doesn't think of anything "as God"...

For as much as atheists contend that God doesn't exist, they sure do struggle to define what it is they think doesn't exist.

Yes, Chriliman's Op syllogism is guilty of defining God (or Zeus, or Bigfoot) into existence, but IF those abstract 'things' DO entail a necessary inference that God is real, then the argument does have at least some traction.

Chriliman's syllogism is closely related to CS Lewis' argument that the experience of thirst proves the existence of water.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yea, I could see that, and I’d ad that the ability to figure out the mysteries of reality is an amazing ability and I can understand why people would think so highly of it, even to the point of calling it God like. I think it’s important to recognize our abilities and also be humble enough to admit we don’t know everything, but there will always be that lingering possibility that maybe there’s a being out there that does know everything and that’s where theism can live.

Of course, I must point out, that God has remained hidden from this "God-like" ability he has given us.

That suggests that either he doesn't exist, or at the least, wishes to remain hidden from us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
For as much as atheists contend that God doesn't exist, they sure do struggle to define what it is they think doesn't exist.
Not at all.
Atheists do not define what "God" is. They don't even try to. They only and exclusively react to the claims of theists, and their definition of what "God" is... and then use these definitions to establish if this is, in the atheists' view, a useful definition and the definition of something that is real.

Yes, Chriliman's Op syllogism is guilty of defining God (or Zeus, or Bigfoot) into existence, but IF those abstract 'things' DO entail a necessary inference that God is real, then the argument does have at least some traction.

Chriliman's syllogism is closely related to CS Lewis' argument that the experience of thirst proves the existence of water.
I think I agree with this. The only problem here: Lewis' argument is false. It's false for very similar reasons that Chriliman's doesn't work.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟931,727.00
Faith
Atheist
Yeah, the water argument is strange although to be fair, Lewis' actual examples, I think, may have been different.

We want water because without water we cease to exist. That is, we exist because of water not the other way round.

We want food because without food we cease to exist. That is, we wouldn't be here if food weren't here first.

We want air because without air we cease to exist. The thing we want precedes us.

We want sex because with sex we cease to exist. Sex is part of the species.

We want to exist because we exist. We've seen others cease to exist and we don't want that. Or rather, we fear the unknown.

We want water, air, food, and sex because we want to exist.

But death is the unknown, the final frontier. We want to exist, so therefore? We invent a solution. We want to exist, therefore an afterlife.

ETA: It reminds me of Adams' puddle

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lion IRC

Sep 10, 2012
✟19,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The experience of thirst entails that there must exist some 'thing' which is the object of that want/need.

Even if you didn't know what water looked like or had no proof of its physical existence, you could deduce that - as a properly basic belief - there must be such a thing as would cause your thirst.

No matter how much of a skeptic you are, you will look for water based on the 'belief' that it exists.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course, I must point out, that God has remained hidden from this "God-like" ability he has given us.

That suggests that either he doesn't exist, or at the least, wishes to remain hidden from us.

I think if we define God as an eternal being who exists outside the universe then yes I’d agree.

Upvote 0