What’s the beef with non-Calvinists concerning election????

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So called Calvinists see God’s supreme grace in His election of some and a corresponding effectual call to those elect. They see that in scripture. Some may disagree. Calvinists see that that effectual call somehow opens the hearts of the elect to the truth and they are saved through faith. Special grace or special calling some call it.

This concept seems to be particularly offensive to many. I’m not sure why.

We all believe that God extends more grace to some than others. If you don’t see that in scripture and in the world in general you are simply in denial.

If we leave out the dreaded word “ELECTION”, we still have all of those special examples of grace to believe in the scriptures. God extended special grace to some in scripture and passed by others. He did not extend that special grace to everyone. It shouldn’t be necessary to prove that point. Lydia, Paul and for that matter all of the apostles come to mind just to name a few.

If we leave out the dreaded word “ELECTION” again, we still have real life to show us these truths. Surely we all can agree that God gives more clear and compelling chances at believing to be saved to some than to others in this world. I won’t give examples. If you don’t see that – you’re living in a different world than the one I am living in.

In addition – we all know that God didn’t need to save anyone. And even if He chose to do so He could have done it without requiring faith or anything else above and beyond Christ’s work at Calvary. Presumably He could have just died and then whisked everyone on earth to Heaven the same day if He had wanted to.

Whether you are a Catholic, Orthodox, , Calvinist, Arminian, fee grace, or whatever else there may be (excluding universalists of course) – you can’t get around the fact that God created people and God treats those people in what we humans can only call an unequal manner.

It seems that most people will probably go to Hell for eternity. God knew who would and who wouldn’t and then created them all anyway. He even says that it would have been better for those who won’t believe had they never been born.

For that matter He could have only created people who would believe. Universalism could well have been true had God done things that way.

Some say that the God of the Calvinist would be a monster. But if that is your assessment of the Calvinist God how is your God any less so?

So what’s the beef with some of you when it comes to this special grace being defined by the word election rather than just calling it something like special and highly effective grace to believe for some and not for others? Is it the word election itself? Is it that you find it more palatable to think that God is just doing these things on the spur of the moment rather than believing that He planned to do them all along?

Some people try to get God off the hook as it were by picturing Him as just somehow “allowing” these things. It is as if they can’t see the clear teaching from scripture that our God not only creates everything but upholds and orchestrates everything as well – that we live and move and have our being in Him.

I’ve thought many times that those who do that kind of thing seem to be worshipping a different God entirely than the one I see in scripture. Maybe you do see God as not omni-present and upholding everything by the Word of His power. Maybe you disagree that God has always planned the working of everything in this universe and beyond after the wise council of His will.

I guess if you believe in this different God we could hear from you here also.

But again – assuming you haven’t completely created God in an image you can handle – how is your God that much different than the God of the Calvinist just because you don’t use the word “ELECTION”?

If you don’t like the Calvinist’s way of explaining God’s selectivity – what is yours and how is yours better or more kind?

[FONT=&quot]I’m not looking for arguments concerning regeneration before faith or the definition of the words election vs. the word choosing or even talking about the doctrine of limited atonement here. I’m not even looking to prove or not prove here that the Bible teaches election/reprobation in any particular passage.

It may be too much to ask. But leave those arguments for other threads please.

It wouldn't be very exciting if Calvinists don't jump in as well. And you know how we all like excitement.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Hopefully we can speak just to this one issue without getting the four other petals of the T.U.L.I.P. going ?

IMO, the NT does not teach Sovereign Election based on some very basic scripture.

Matthew 11:9-13
9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Jesus is talking to unbelievers here. What is he telling them what they need to do, and WHY would He IF SE was a fact?

Luke 8:13-15
13 Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14 The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

Here again Jesus is teaching active participation in our salvation, and not SE.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Oh, the irony.
OP: I dont see why it is offensive to those opposed.
REPLY:It is offensive!
I hope we can talk about this element without all the others.
Let's mention all of the others now.

I think it would be far better if you actually used the quote tools instead of prevaricating on what is being said, already!

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So called Calvinists see God’s supreme grace in His election of some and a corresponding effectual call to those elect. They see that in scripture. Some may disagree. Calvinists see that that effectual call somehow opens the hearts of the elect to the truth and they are saved through faith. Special grace or special calling some call it.

This concept seems to be particularly offensive to many. I’m not sure why.

We all believe that God extends more grace to some than others. If you don’t see that in scripture and in the world in general you are simply in denial.

If we leave out the dreaded word “ELECTION”, we still have all of those special examples of grace to believe in the scriptures. God extended special grace to some in scripture and passed by others. He did not extend that special grace to everyone. It shouldn’t be necessary to prove that point. Lydia, Paul and for that matter all of the apostles come to mind just to name a few.

If we leave out the dreaded word “ELECTION” again, we still have real life to show us these truths. Surely we all can agree that God gives more clear and compelling chances at believing to be saved to some than to others in this world. I won’t give examples. If you don’t see that – you’re living in a different world than the one I am living in.

In addition – we all know that God didn’t need to save anyone. And even if He chose to do so He could have done it without requiring faith or anything else above and beyond Christ’s work at Calvary. Presumably He could have just died and then whisked everyone on earth to Heaven the same day if He had wanted to.

Whether you are a Catholic, Orthodox, , Calvinist, Arminian, fee grace, or whatever else there may be (excluding universalists of course) – you can’t get around the fact that God created people and God treats those people in what we humans can only call an unequal manner.

It seems that most people will probably go to Hell for eternity. God knew who would and who wouldn’t and then created them all anyway. He even says that it would have been better for those who won’t believe had they never been born.

For that matter He could have only created people who would believe. Universalism could well have been true had God done things that way.

Some say that the God of the Calvinist would be a monster. But if that is your assessment of the Calvinist God how is your God any less so?

So what’s the beef with some of you when it comes to this special grace being defined by the word election rather than just calling it something like special and highly effective grace to believe for some and not for others? Is it the word election itself? Is it that you find it more palatable to think that God is just doing these things on the spur of the moment rather than believing that He planned to do them all along?

Some people try to get God off the hook as it were by picturing Him as just somehow “allowing” these things. It is as if they can’t see the clear teaching from scripture that our God not only creates everything but upholds and orchestrates everything as well – that we live and move and have our being in Him.

I’ve thought many times that those who do that kind of thing seem to be worshipping a different God entirely than the one I see in scripture. Maybe you do see God as not omni-present and upholding everything by the Word of His power. Maybe you disagree that God has always planned this after the wise council of His will.

I guess if you believe in this different God we could hear from you here also.

But again – assuming you haven’t completely created God in an image you can handle – how is your God that much different than the God of the Calvinist just because you don’t use the word “ELECTION”?

If you don’t like the Calvinist’s way of explaining God’s selectivity – what is yours and how is yours better or more kind?

[FONT=&quot]I’m not looking for arguments concerning regeneration before faith or the definition of the words election vs. the word choosing or even talking about the doctrine of limited atonement here. I’m not even looking to prove or not prove here that the Bible teaches election/reprobation in any particular passage. It may be too much to ask. But leave those arguments for other threads please.

It wouldn't be very exciting if Calvinists don't jump in as well. And you know how we all like excitement.
[/FONT]

Were OT saints elected/regenerated?

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
“Election: a doctrine which in the Bible asserts the fact of God’s choosing certain persons for the specific purpose of receiving first, and so communicating the gifts of his grace to the whole world.” George MacDonald (1824-1905)

I'm fairly confident any and all who participate in this thread knows this definition very well.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

This may be a bunny trail we're starting on here compared to what the thread asks. If we hop down it too far I'll hop off real fast.

But just to make things clear for those who aren't of the sovereign election persuasion - I don't know anyone who believes in SE (whether you call him a Calvinist or something else) who doesn't also believe and teach "active participation in our salvation".

I know a lot of Calvinists both here on the forum and elsewhere. I wouldn't want their beliefs or mine to be misrepresented.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Likely the main issue non Calvinists have is fairness.
Is it fair play for God to choose someone to be elect and to be then saved and pass over some other person, giving them no grace to be saved.

God is shown in scripture to be kind, merciful and giving grace to whom He wishes according to His will.

A God who chooses person like that I have read non Calvinist posters say is a monster evil god they can not believe in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it fair play for God to choose someone to be elect and to be then saved and pass over some other person, giving them no grace to be saved.

God is shown in scripture to be kind, merciful and giving grace to whom He wishes according to His will.

A God who chooses person like that I have read non Calvinist posters say is a monster evil god they can not believe in.
Ah. This is a possibility. Thank you for your insight.

Yet they put individuals in place of God giving grace, to thwart accepting grace. That would ... make this better than the alternative?

To Calvinists, at what point does the decision of unsaved people result in better choices than God's? It would seem to Calvinists more monstrous than Calvinism, yet we don't go decrying antiCalvinism ... that much!

Me, I just take it that the concepts are difficult, and people don't have the perfect ability to think it all through. May that come later, when the perfect comes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Ah. This is a possibility. Thank you for your insight.

Yet they put individuals in place of God giving grace, to thwart accepting grace. That would ... make this better than the alternative?

To Calvinists, at what point does the decision of unsaved people result in better choices than God's? It would seem to Calvinists more monstrous than Calvinism, yet we don't go decrying antiCalvinism ... that much!

Me, I just take it that the concepts are difficult, and people don't have the perfect ability to think it all through. May that come later, when the perfect comes.

My view is that we do not desire Christ in the natural.
So God must be the prime mover, which is He loves us first before we love Him.
Christ tells us the world hates Him.
John 15
18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully we can speak just to this one issue without getting the four other petals of the T.U.L.I.P. going ?

IMO, the NT does not teach Sovereign Election based on some very basic scripture.

Matthew 11:9-13
9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Jesus is talking to unbelievers here. What is he telling them what they need to do, and WHY would He IF SE was a fact?
The elect are unbelievers before they are believers.
Luke 8:13-15
13 Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14 The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

No active participation. The difference is in how the soil was prepared.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
The elect are unbelievers before they are believers.

an assertion you have never been able to support, but feel free to try.

No active participation. The difference is in how the soil was prepared.

That assertion is NOT in evidence. It was a normal field but the PARABLE is meant to be read as such. The ground differences allude to different people not how the ground is prepared.
v15
But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

How exactly does this SE work if these people have what it takes to retain the word of God.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
This may be a bunny trail we're starting on here compared to what the thread asks. If we hop down it too far I'll hop off real fast.

But just to make things clear for those who aren't of the sovereign election persuasion - I don't know anyone who believes in SE (whether you call him a Calvinist or something else) who doesn't also believe and teach "active participation in our salvation".

I know a lot of Calvinists both here on the forum and elsewhere. I wouldn't want their beliefs or mine to be misrepresented.

I have no doubt all the regulars will be more than able to REPRESENT their POVs on this matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals

Mostly I have heard non-believers say that, or new Christians. My understanding is based on what IS in scripture and what we are instructed to do in order to be saved. If it were not a choice we would never be given one.
1 John 4:15
If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.
Romans 10:9-11
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”
Matthew 10:32
“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven."

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=&quot]Hammster said, “The elect are unbelievers before they are believers.[/FONT]
an assertion you have never been able to support, but feel free to try.
Common sense would tell you that Paul was an unbeliever before he was an believer. What a silly thing to ask for proof concerning.

If there isn't a particular scripture that tells you that unbelievers become believers somewhere along the line, it is only because it so silly to think otherwise. Otherwise why would we even preach the gospel to the world so that they can become believers and be saved? No one is a believer before he believes. That's like saying the universe existed before it existed. That's nonsensical.

Let's stay on point here and not get silly and cloud the issues.

[FONT=&quot]Hammster also said, “No active participation.

I stand corrected concerning no one of the SE camp saying that there was no active participation involved in the salvation process . I hardly know what to say to such a statement by a Calvinist. This is the first time I've ever heard such a statement by any evangelical - Calvinist, Arminian, or otherwise..

I guess the idea here is to keep from thinking of the salvation process as being somehow of "works". Talking about some action by God that allows the will to make the right choice in the matter is one thing. But to say that there is no choice or act of the will involved in the process of salvation is downright wrong.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]People of all camps will say the strangest things to keep from giving the "other side" any ammo. It isn't becoming in either camp IMO. .

I'm going to try to stay out of this for a couple of days and see how things develop. But I'm quickly becoming convinced that both sides are so polarized that they can't even stay to the consideration of a simple concept without breaking out into childish side bars.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
[FONT=&quot]Hammster said, “The elect are unbelievers before they are believers.[/FONT]

Common sense would tell you that Paul was an unbeliever before he was an unbeliever. What a silly thing to ask for proof concerning.

If there isn't a particular scripture that tells you that unbelievers become believers somewhere along the line, it is only because it so silly to think otherwise. Otherwise why would we even preach the gospel to the world so that they can become believers and be saved? No one is a believer before he believes. That's like saying the universe existed before it existed. That's nonsensical.

[FONT=&quot]Hammster also said, “No active participation.

I stand corrected concerning no one of the SE camp saying that there was no active participation involved in the salvation process . I hardly know what to say to such a statement by a Calvinist. This is the first time I've ever heard such a statement by any evangelical - Calvinist, Arminian, or otherwise..

I guess the idea here is to keep from thinking of the salvation process as being somehow of "works". Talking about some action by God that allows the will to make the right choice in the matter is one thing. But to say that there is no choice or act of the will involved in the process of salvation is downright wrong.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]People of all camps will say the strangest things to keep from giving the "other side" any ammo. It isn't becoming in either camp IMO. .

I'm going to try to stay out of this for a couple of days and see how things develop. But I'm quickly becoming convinced that both sides are so polarized that they can't even stay to the consideration of a simple concept without breaking out into childish side bars.
[/FONT]

The elect simple are, because God has determined who they are from before the foundation of the world.
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world
For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works that he has prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. Prepared beforehand before we were born.

You can not unmake what He has made, only He could do such a thing and He has said His gifts and calling is irrevocable.
All things are for, to, and through Him and He will do all His good pleasure.

If God says that is good, then it is very good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Common sense would tell you that Paul was an unbeliever before he was an unbeliever. What a silly thing to ask for proof concerning.

Reading the Bible claiming common sense is a dangerous practise. The issue goes to what the NT means when it uses the word 'elect' and it is not the same as what it is in SE. Hammster knows exactly what I mean. The elect is ONLY a title for believers, never unbelievers. It connotes a privileged position in God's eyes over those who don't believe, not a position based on His sovereign choice but based on their simple free will choice. Paul believed in God before he accepted Jesus. I always have believed in God even before I confessed Jesus as my savior. Paul teaches us in Romans 1 that IF we are open to His creation we will know Him and not deny Him. Unbelief is simply denying God for selfish self centered reasons.
The point is SE is it not?

[FONT=&quot]Hammster also said, “No active participation.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I stand corrected concerning no one of the SE camp saying that there was no active participation involved in the salvation process . I hardly know what to say to such a statement by a Calvinist. This is the first time I've ever heard such a statement by any evangelical - Calvinist, Arminian, or otherwise..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I guess the idea here is to keep from thinking of the salvation process as being somehow of "works". Talking about some action by God that allows the will to make the right choice in the matter is one thing. But to say that there is no choice or act of the will involved in the process of salvation is downright wrong. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]People of all camps will say the strangest things to keep from giving the "other side" any ammo. It isn't becoming in either camp IMO. .[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm going to try to stay out of this for a couple of days and see how things develop. But I'm quickly becoming convinced that both sides are so polarized that they can't even stay to the consideration of a simple concept without breaking out into childish side bars. [/FONT]

The problem with any dogmatic POV is that by it's very nature it causes you to support the dogma rather than scripture. Polarization is a given in soteriology, but some are far more extreme than others, hence the 4 and 5 point Calvinists. I think you find the more extreme some are, the shorter their answers are. The trick is not to get caught, it really has nothing to do with actually giving legs to your POV.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
The elect simple are, because God has determined who they are from before the foundation of the world.

so why not show this FROM actual scripture and exegete it?

For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works that he has prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. Prepared beforehand before we were born.

Now to get the proper perspective on this you must read Eph 2:1-10- in it's entirety, along with what Paul also teaches in Rom 8:25-30.
This plan God has for believers is based on His foreknowledge of who will accept Jesus as their savior. God has no plan for those who won't believe.

You can not unmake what He has made, only He could do such a thing and He has said His gifts and calling is irrevocable.
All things are for, to, and through Him and He will do all His good pleasure.
If God says that is good, then it is very good.

This also requires exegesis of scripture to support your POV. The context of Rom 11 that you hack this out of is not talking about SE, but about why the New Covenant is now for the Gentiles because of Israel's rejection, but His call and gifts for Israel are still there, despite their rejection.
It's always better to present scripture in the actual contextual setting as it was meant to be conveyed.

Upvote 0