jerry ralph

Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
“Paralyze resistance with persistence” Woody Hayes

“So Joshua took the whole land, according to all that the LORD had spoken to Moses, and Joshua gave it for an inheritance to Israel according to their divisions by their tribes. Thus the land had rest from war.”
Joshua 11:23 NASB

This is the last Scripture verse I read this morning. My daily readings in the Old and New Testaments are at unusual places. I am reading of Paul’s missionary voyages to Europe and at the same time I am reading of Joshua’s voyages into Canaan. They both appear to me to be missionary voyages. Joshua carried the Word of God with a sword of steel, while Paul carried the Word of God as a sword of love. Having spent some time in the military, I am impressed with the tactics that God gave to Joshua to overcome the enemy. Joshua was taught commando tactics of ambush, setting up night defensive positions, and the use of bait to draw the enemy out in order to be caught in an ambush. They no doubt refer to the Book of Joshua when teaching military leaders the art of war. Joshua was also persistent in his strategy, he had some problems at first with discipline and obedience of his troops, but after he took care of business his army functioned like a well-oiled machine.
Today I find that I need this same persistence in dealing with my own battles. There is a war going on in my mind at all times, I’m not saying I don’t have peace and serenity. I’m saying that there is always a pull between what is right, and what I find to be wrong. Persistence and being continually on the look out for an ambush by the enemy are keys to keeping a daily victory. I am also grateful that I don’t have to fight this battle alone. I have God and the Word of God as encouragement. I have Jesus my best friend who will never leave me. I have the Holy Spirit as an inner voice of love giving direction. I have the fellowship of friends who pray with me and for me, and I likewise for them. We have an army of soldiers, and with the anointing of the Holy Spirit we are well oiled. I am truly grateful for my deliverance and daily victory in my war with alcoholism and addictions. God is doing for me what I could not do for myself ……………….JRE

“No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.”
1 Corinthians 10:13 NASB

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that he will make things right if I surrender to His will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

Amen.