Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Another great experience from the Confessional!

I walked in, told a few sins, but explained to the priest my consistent struggle with remembering my sins: I don't. I mentioned a few things I'd done wrong, but said, "I'm sure I've done more, but I just can't remember my sins!"

His response? "Well, hopefully God doesn't, either!"

I love the times when the priest & I can share a laugh in the confessional; it's a place of healing, a place where the incredible power of God's mercy washes away our sins! People can debate all the time about whether or not Confession is necessary, but that's the wrong look at it. Like everything in Christianity, it's not about legalism, it's about healing, the ongoing process of conversion.

He also had an interesting penance: "Go pray a few Our Fathers & a few Hail Mary's, or use your own words, whatever you want to do, but go pray for the people who don't get to experience this, for people who don't come here to confession." The last time I had Fr. Will, he said something similar for my penance: "Can you think of anyone to pray for?" I replied, "I want to pray for my parents." He said, "Alright, go pray for them."

I just liked what Fr. Will said & wanted to share it; I don't think there's a deep theological message here, just a little humble reminder of God's mercy.

"It is not easy to entrust oneself to God's mercy, because it is an abyss beyond our comprehension. But we must! ... "Oh, I am a great sinner!" "All the better! Go to Jesus: He likes you to tell him these things!" He forgets, He has a very special capacity for forgetting. He forgets, He kisses you, He embraces you and He simply says to you: "Neither do I condemn you; go, and sin no more" (Jn 8:11)."

— Pope Francis, Homily on March 17, 2013