Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟32,176.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well, it's up to you. Scripture - and this is surprising to many first-time readers of the Bible - doesn't really talk about marriage. Indeed Biblical Hebrew doesn't appear to have a word for wife, or at least, tends to just use the word "woman" to mean wife, as is the case in Portuguese and Spanish. I was certainly surprised when I first read the Bible (written Torah) and saw that it said basically nothing about marriage ceremonies. A marriage is a secular contract, and a mitzvah, but not a spiritual ritual performed in the temple.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟32,176.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Aqui en Nuevo Mejico y Arizona usamos esposa por wife o moglie o sposa inne Italiano.

Pero no me importa.:)

If it doesn't matter, why even mention it ?
You're just proving you want to correct me.

In any case, your correction is meaningless: mujer and mulher is used for wife in many or most cases.
Then for some reason you bring up Italian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

In any case, your correction is meaningless: mujer and mulher is used for wife in many or most cases.

I have never really heard someone formally use mujer for "wife" in Spanish. It's either esposa or marida. :confused:

While Hebrew doesn't have a specific word for wife (it uses אשה for both "woman" and "wife"), the same is true of Greek, in which γυνή is used for both. The difference is if someone uses a possessive or not:

אשתי "my woman" = "my wife"
ἡ γυνή μου "my woman" = "my wife"
ἡ τοῦ στρατηγοῦ γυνή = "the general's wife"

If there's no possessive (ἡ γυνὴ πρὸς τὴν κρήνην ἐβάδιζε), it's regularly rendered "woman" ("the woman was walking to the spring"), unless we know that she "belonged" to someone.

Greek also uses ἀνήρ ("man") for "husband," but Hebrew uses the word "master" (בעל). Not good...

Upvote 0
A

aniello

I have never really heard someone formally use mujer for "wife" in Spanish. It's either esposa or marida. :confused:

While Hebrew doesn't have a specific word for wife (it uses אשה for both "woman" and "wife"), the same is true of Greek, in which γυνή is used for both. The difference is if someone uses a possessive or not:

אשתי "my woman" = "my wife"
ἡ γυνή μου "my woman" = "my wife"
ἡ τοῦ στρατηγοῦ γυνή = "the general's wife"

If there's no possessive (ἡ γυνὴ πρὸς τὴν κρήνην ἐβάδιζε), it's regularly rendered "woman" ("the woman was walking to the spring"), unless we know that she "belonged" to someone.

Greek also uses ἀνήρ ("man") for "husband," but Hebrew uses the word "master" (בעל). Not good...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Excellent,as always.

In my decades upon decades experience here in the West(NM, Az y Califas y Tejas tambien) anche(also) inne Mejico, Panama, Venezuela, Colombia i Argentina usiamo esposa en la lengua Espanol. We do not merely use 'mujer' for our sposas as if they were mere chattel property. Rude.

Upvote 0
A

aniello

Yonah has already adequately addressed the "esposa" issue.

Now, the WOP/Guinea/Dago issue.

Here:
History of the Jews in Sicily - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sephardic Genealogy: Italy, Jewish Genealogy
Forgotten Jews of Southern Italy

***** STAFF EDIT *****

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hoshiyya
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does it matter what style of wedding one does?

Nope.

After he hears your ideas ans wishes, do what your priest/pastor suggests and remember that the marriage is always more important than the wedding.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟32,176.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I have never really heard someone formally use mujer for "wife" in Spanish.

Formally ?

There's actually a famous Sephardic song called "la mujer de Terach", referring to Terah's wife, the mother of Abraham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0yENso9jag

"The song tells the story of Amtelai bat Carnevo, Terach's wife and the mother of Abraham while she gave birth her son"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟32,176.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
While Hebrew doesn't have a specific word for wife (it uses אשה for both "woman" and "wife"), the same is true of Greek, in which γυνή is used for both.

And like I already mentioned, so does Portuguese. People are so contentious, so eager to correct me, it is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Formally ?

There's actually a famous Sephardic song called "la mujer de Terach", referring to Terah's wife, the mother of Abraham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0yENso9jag

"The song tells the story of Amtelai bat Carnevo, Terach's wife and the mother of Abraham while she gave birth her son"

Perhaps that happens in Ladino, but not in Spanish. ;)

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe anyone who has been exposed to even a little bit of Spanish would make such a claim.

Noun

mujer f (plural mujeres)

1. woman
  2. wife

;):wave:

mujer - Wiktionary

You might be surprised. I took two years of Spanish in high school, four years in college, did a B.A. in Spanish, spent a month in Costa Rica where I spoke only Spanish and traveled all over the country. I've been exposed to more than just a bit of Spanish.

Saying that someone is your mujer in Spanish is just as acceptable as saying that she's your woman in English. It's possessive and disrespectful. It's not a standard way to refer to your wife.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟32,176.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You might be surprised. I took two years of Spanish in high school, four years in college, did a B.A. in Spanish, spent a month in Costa Rica where I spoke only Spanish and traveled all over the country. I've been exposed to more than just a bit of Spanish.

Saying that someone is your mujer in Spanish is just as acceptable as saying that she's your woman in English. It's possessive and disrespectful. It's not a standard way to refer to your wife.

"It's not a standard way to refer to your wife."

It's actually very, very common, in my experience, especially in Spain itself and Spanish texts. Maybe SA is different.

"It's possessive and disrespectful."

Oooookay..... if you say so.
I think most would disagree with that assessment.

Anyway for all you geniuses out there, my point was that wedding ceremonies are not explicitly found in scripture, or at least not given in detail. Peripherally to that, I mentioned that the Bible doesn't have, or doesn't frequently use, any word for wife other than the word for woman. To help understand that peripheral point, I gave two examples, from Portuguese and also Spanish, and the the correctionist and besserwissers comments starting lining up.

Does correcting me make others feel good about themselves?
Like, even when what I say is factually accurate?
Weird.

Last edited:
Upvote 0