Weapons from Biblical times (specific questions)

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just had a look at the Macedonian phalanx. Interesting stuff. I ended up looking at Pikes in Europe and they were also very long.

Pike (weapon) - Wikipedia

Most European Pikes had both a spear point and a hook. The hook was quite effective in dismounting a mounted knight.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think most of us always picture people using swords back then but I suspect the most common weapon would probably have been a spear/javelin of some sort. If you're talking about the head guys they probably used something like this: Khopesh - Wikipedia
which look a lot like some of the swords from Game of Thrones:
0141011300_sichel-schwert_game_of_thrones_arakh_khal_drogo.jpg

tulc(hopes that helps) :)

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think most of us always picture people using swords back then but I suspect the most common weapon would probably have been a spear/javelin of some sort. If you're talking about the head guys they probably used something like this: Khopesh - Wikipedia
which look a lot like some of the swords from Game of Thrones:
0141011300_sichel-schwert_game_of_thrones_arakh_khal_drogo.jpg

tulc(hopes that helps) :)
Yes, I have included a bronze khopesh in the first mesage. I am willing to choose this design of sword but I don't find it a good looking design, effectiveness aside. I'd prefer a straight blade. I don't want a King's sword but I also don't want the lowest ranking soldier's weapon

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're talking about the head guys they probably used something like this: Khopesh - Wikipedia

The khopesh was Egyptian, and a very ancient design. It was used to break through thin, unreinforced wooden shields -- a kind of axe/sword hybrid.

Long before the time of David, people stopped using the khopesh (Wikipedia says it went out of use in 1300 BC).

So no, David would not have used a khopesh.

• Informative
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The khopesh was Egyptian, and a very ancient design. It was used to break through thin, unreinforced wooden shields -- a kind of axe/sword hybrid.

Long before the time of David, people stopped using the khopesh.
the reason I included a khopesh is it is based on the one which was found where Canaan was. Which would have been around the time of Moses and Joshua if I am right?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the reason I included a khopesh is it is based on the one which was found where Canaan was. Which would have been around the time of Moses and Joshua if I am right?

It seems likely that Moses would have used a khopesh.

The khopesh found in Canaan seems to date from around 1500 BC.

• Informative
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Long before the time of David, people stopped using the khopesh (Wikipedia says it went out of use in 1300 BC).

So no, David would not have used a khopesh.
:doh: Thanks. Guess I'm like most people, forming opinions based on movies and such. :sigh:
tulc(will now raise a coffee cup to Radagast for teaching him something new!) :coffee:

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know I'm guilty (obviously from my above post) of lumping all Biblical times into the same time periods. I sometime forget there's a LONG time period between Abraham and Moses, from Moses to David and a long time between David and Jesus. All with vast developments in warfare, science and cultures. It is sort of intriguing thinking about how different the various warriors weapons and tactics would have been between say Moses and David. :oldthumbsup:
tulc(may have to do some reading now) ;)

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its actually a short sword i believe. Perhaps im mistaken.
I don't know. I just called it what the website called it but it could probably be classed as either a short sword or dagger I suppose

• Useful
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know I'm guilty (obviously from my above post) of lumping all Biblical times into the same time periods. I sometime forget there's a LONG time period between Abraham and Moses, from Moses to David and a long time between David and Jesus. All with vast developments in warfare, science and cultures.

It's often easy not to relate Bible history to general history of the region. The writer Dorothy L. Sayers once commented on the thrill when she realised that or Ahasuerus, a "Bible person," was the Xerxes of Persian history.

Upvote 0