Danie1979

Mar 26, 2013
Arizona
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Ok, sometimes I feel like I am crazy, but everytime I listen to what's in my heart that seems to burn like a fire, great things happen! Long story short, I was a wild one back in the day, actually 3 years ago back in the day.. I found God approx three years ago. Since then he has changed my life drastically, even moving me to AZ, meeting my amazing Fiance, finishing school and becoming a Network Engineer. So, back on track about the burning heart felt feelings. My Fiance and I about a year ago started discussing opening our own business. We have thrown many ideas around, but keep coming back to the same favorite. This idea isn't something either him or I have ever really thought of. In fact, I would have NEVER thought of wanting to do this. We honestly believe we are being pushed to do it. AND I also, believe I was pushed to find this site. Our idea may seem simple. We want to open a coffee shop. However, there's more to it. It is will be in the name of God and we will operate it through the eyes of Jesus. I can't give away all of the details to everyone, only to the right person. We want to use the shop as a tool for God. To bring anyone who is lost to him. We want to operate on the foundation of love, family and acceptance all in Jesus' name. There's so much more, but again, I can't spill the beans all over the forum. I am so excited about this and it hasn't even happened. We see an amazing vision in our heads of this and we never thought we would ever think about something like this. The part of why I am on here rambling is because we have NO idea how to get the funding. We desparately need help from anyone on here who can point us in the right direction. We are both very business savvy. We even know we can cut some pretty large expenses due to our backgrounds and skills along with friends who have the expertise to help us as well. We literally have the barista, IT , contruction, customer service and bookkeeping skills to run this business. We also, have a perfect spot with extremely high foot traffic in a major tourist town to plant it. We just need the funding ofr the place, furniture, applicances and inventory. So, if anyone can help, please contact me. Thank you and God bless!

Danie1979

Mar 26, 2013
Arizona
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I would seriously contact this restaurant: One Bistro

They are in a similar business. They might be able to offer guidance on how to start up.

Thank you! We will definitely contact them. It would be awesome to get advice from people who are already doing this.

Upvote 0

LM1955

Mar 10, 2013
✟15,124.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know much about funding, but I can see good things on the horizon for this business. On another forum, I chatted with a minister who meets and has Bible studies in places like Dunkin Donuts, Whole Foods and Starbucks because he wants to reach people that would never step food inside a church.

Although most people love to have church services in a building, many people would rather have small meetings where they can join in the Bible discussion. Your coffee shop may just be one such place. :)

Upvote 0

Danie1979

Mar 26, 2013
Arizona
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't know much about funding, but I can see good things on the horizon for this business. On another forum, I chatted with a minister who meets and has Bible studies in places like Dunkin Donuts, Whole Foods and Starbucks because he wants to reach people that would never step food inside a church.

Although most people love to have church services in a building, many people would rather have small meetings where they can join in the Bible discussion. Your coffee shop may just be one such place. :)

All would welcome! :) When inside we want to encourage nothing but peace, fellowship, acceptance and love. Christians should not judge. They should help people not matter what. Thank you for your encouraging words! :)

Upvote 0

Danie1979

Mar 26, 2013
Arizona
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I think that peace, love, fellowship and acceptance is what people want most in these days of uncertainty.

If I lived closer to AZ, I would most certainly frequent your new establishment. :)

Awww :) Thank you!

Actually we want to start it up in Florida. That is our home town. We moved here for jobs, but if we have our own business, we'd definitely want it to be home. My father is getting up there and I would want to be able to take care of him. That, and Florida really need a place like this. The crime rate there is so high. From what I have noticed, it's mostly racial and non-acceptance related. It's part of what inspired me. It is so sad to see the world hurting so much. It's even sadder seeing people hurting each other.

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2013
✟15,368.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All would welcome! :) When inside we want to encourage nothing but peace, fellowship, acceptance and love. Christians should not judge. They should help people not matter what. Thank you for your encouraging words! :)
Sometime I think we should judge , example Islam and Muslim ....:crossrc:

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Starting with the best deal to the worst deal...

1. You bug every friend and every family member you know, you put up your house as collateral, and you get 20-30% down and go for an SBA backed loan at a conventional bank. The banks interest rates and fees come right off the top, and you need to pay friends and family back, so you can figure to typically make a bit below minimum wage for the first year or two.

2. Both of you take on an extra job or two. If you are being paid hourly, you want to each be working a minimum of 70 hours a week, with closer to 90 being an optimum for a few years. Not only will this allow you to save enough to self finance it, it will also prepare you for the first year or two where you both work 40 hours in a regular job to cover your expenses and another 40-50 at the coffee shop. The disadvantage of course is the huge opportunity cost.. you have to weight this against the bank loan, or if you are unable to get the down payment, this may be the only realistic option.

3. If you chose to go the private equity route, prepare for near loan shark rates, as coffee shops are low reward high risk investments. Most wont even think of investing without a significant carrot... This pretty much means you will make no money the first three years, and you really wont have much say as to how to run it, as the investors will be second guessing or even mandating many of your decisions. n00b franchises often operate in this domain not knowing any better. A lot of marriages get destroyed, people loose their houses, what started out as a dream turns into a nightmare... but a tiny number of folks do succeed at it. It is not for the uninitiated or faint of heart.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I realize my post is a bit gloom and doom. To make money at a coffee shop you typically need to be pushing a million+ in gross sales, and watch every penny like a hawk. This doesnt happen overnight, and far too many are not very good at watching pennies. The combo is deadly.

A buddy of mine started out in late 2011. I told him, either you learn to watch your P-L's like a hawk, or hire some guy, but you must do this or you will be sorry.

Well, he was not a bean counter, he couldnt afford to hire one (so he thought), he worked 100+ weeks throughout 2012... and when all was said and done, he would have made a ton more money for a lot less work had he taken a job at a fast food joint. He thought he was making money with those huge bank deposits, but it was going out as fast as it was coming in. This year he is watching things like a hawk.... there is a lot of hard learning in business.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trailltrader

May 26, 2013
Lakewood, WA
✟14,883.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We literally have the barista, IT , contruction, customer service and bookkeeping skills to run this business. We also, have a perfect spot with extremely high foot traffic in a major tourist town to plant it. We just need the funding ofr the place, furniture, applicances and inventory. So, if anyone can help, please contact me. Thank you and God bless!

So, what kind of help do you want? Manpower or money? I suggest you look up the "Coffee Oasis" online located in Bremerton, Washington. Its a coffee shop/homeless shelter run by a conglomeration of churches wanting to help.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
he would have made a ton more money for a lot less work had he taken a job at a fast food joint. He thought he was making money with those huge bank deposits
That is the case in so many instances. That is also true in some "respectable" salaried jobs.

Since it is against forum rules to solicit funding, you might check out a crowdfunding site.

Upvote 0