Mar 5, 2003
Currently living in Bakersfield; ready to go where
Visit site
✟8,064.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Donkeys are awesome. I was visiting in California for a couple months, and they had a farm animal shelter on the outskirts of town that I would go to every couple of days to see this donkey. He had such a personality, and was one of the most loving animals I've been around in a long time. Whenever the caretaker would get into his pen to give him food, the donkey would grab his wallet with his teeth and try to hide it. When it was finally time for me to leave California I said goodbye to the donkey, and he got really sad, and tears started rolling down his cheeks as he followed me the length of the pen. It was sad, he was such an awesome little donkey. I would have bought him and took him home, but I live in las vegas, and there was no way I could keep him. :/

Upvote 0

Tamara77777

Jul 9, 2005
✟9,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is SO cute! They are quite the characters. We have 2 females, mother/daughter. They are very loving. Misty Ann the daughter is very jealous for attention...she hogs it all. She is called a Henny, not sure spelling, but she is half donkey and half horse. Jenny is a true Jenny, female donkey. She looks just like a normal donkey, with the cross on her back. I recently read an article that Jack Van Impe wife wrote in their magazine about Donkeys. How submission they are...if you can believe that? :D

The one Jesus rode was, since noone ever rode him before.

Thanks for your response. Tamara77777

valorJ said:
Donkeys are awesome. I was visiting in California for a couple months, and they had a farm animal shelter on the outskirts of town that I would go to every couple of days to see this donkey. He had such a personality, and was one of the most loving animals I've been around in a long time. Whenever the caretaker would get into his pen to give him food, the donkey would grab his wallet with his teeth and try to hide it. When it was finally time for me to leave California I said goodbye to the donkey, and he got really sad, and tears started rolling down his cheeks as he followed me the length of the pen. It was sad, he was such an awesome little donkey. I would have bought him and took him home, but I live in las vegas, and there was no way I could keep him. :/

Upvote 0

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Neighbor down the road just got a jack. They keep him in the round pen, and he hollers consistently. My farrier trims him, and she's going to let me know the next time she goes. I've never had anything to do with them, and would love to just watch!

Upvote 0

Tamara77777

Jul 9, 2005
✟9,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
born2run said:
Neighbor down the road just got a jack. They keep him in the round pen, and he hollers consistently. My farrier trims him, and she's going to let me know the next time she goes. I've never had anything to do with them, and would love to just watch!

Hi! Thanks...I probably should get a farrier out here. The younger donkey managed to step on a small round plastic fitting of some kind...1 out of a millions odds I would say. I saw her limping and thought now what...we have them roaming in a 5 acre parcel. Looked at her and it looked like her one hoof was shoed....she is doing better, still favors it. I was told you can put iodine inside the hook, not sure what that part is called. She might have a crack in her hook, what do I do about that? If you don't mind? :wave: Thanks! Tamara

Upvote 0

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did she step on something and actually puncture the hoof sole? Sometimes these holes are almost impossible to see unless they're cleansed thoroughly. I've had a lot of luck soaking abscesses or nail wounds in warm water with Epsom Salts. Horses are all that I have experience with, and most of them will eventually get used to the idea of soaking. If this is actually the case, then holler :) and I'll give you more stuff you can do. Unless it's an abscess, a farrier probably won't do you a lot of good. How lame is she? Any weight? "Pointing" the foot?

If the top of the hoof is injured, you can give Bute (again, this is horses). This is a paste given orally that basically relieves inflamation and offers relief from pain. If she continues to limp, get a good farrier out to look at her. If he/she can't do anything for her, they'll refer you to a vet who can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tamara77777

Jul 9, 2005
✟9,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
born2run said:
Did she step on something and actually puncture the hoof sole? Sometimes these holes are almost impossible to see unless they're cleansed thoroughly. I've had a lot of luck soaking abscesses or nail wounds in warm water with Epsom Salts. Horses are all that I have experience with, and most of them will eventually get used to the idea of soaking. If this is actually the case, then holler :) and I'll give you more stuff you can do. Unless it's an abscess, a farrier probably won't do you a lot of good. How lame is she? Any weight? "Pointing" the foot?

If the top of the hoof is injured, you can give Bute (again, this is horses). This is a paste given orally that basically relieves inflamation and offers relief from pain. If she continues to limp, get a good farrier out to look at her. If he/she can't do anything for her, they'll refer you to a vet who can.

yes, she does point the foot, meaning she extends her leg right? she has improved...I would guess anything for horses/the same for donkeys..??? well, I guess I can't do it, won't allow me to paste here...bummer...

Thanks your your help! Praisingonpiano:clap:

I will try to get a picture to you...so you can see them.

Upvote 0

Tamara77777

Jul 9, 2005
✟9,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
born2run said:

Here is a picture I hope

Upvote 0

SparkyMaddie

Luceat Lux Vestra
Feb 17, 2005
St Louis
✟150,656.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
we had a mule named Lola,and she recently passed away.we used her in the parades here.she was never stubborn or lazy but she did like to eat everything in sight and cribbed.my dad rescued her from a slaughter auction before i was even born.we never had an exact age on her,vet said 30's.
I think mules/donkeys are sometimes smarter than horses

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.