Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Controversy erupted surrounding the funeral of transgender activist Cecilia Gentili, which was hosted at St. Patrick Cathedral in New York City. Roughly a thousand mourners turned out for the memorial for the former sex worker, who had battled sexual abuse, addiction and homelessness.

Gentili was raised a Catholic in Argentina but was described as an atheist by the New York Times, but Gentili had been engaging more with Christianity in recent years. During the funeral service — which was initially planned to be a Mass but changed course during the liturgy to exclude the celebration of the Liturgy of the Eucharist — a friend of Gentili’s prayed for access to gender-affirming health care from the pulpit. Another individual described Gentili during remarks in Spanish as “esta puta, esta gran puta, la Santa Cecilia, la madre de todas las putas … danos la fuerza y el coraje” (“this harlot, this grand harlot, St. Cecilia, the mother of all harlots … give us strength and courage”). Also, during the funeral, a performer sang “Ave Maria,” changing the lyrics to “Ave Cecilia.” The singer then danced up and down the aisles, while twirling red scarves.

Catholics have been outraged by the funeral.

“The Cathedral only knew that family and friends were requesting a funeral Mass for a Catholic, and had no idea our welcome and prayer would be degraded in such a sacrilegious and deceptive way,” said Rev. Enrique Salvo, the rector of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, in a statement. A Mass of Reparation has been offered, as directed by Cardinal Dolan, Archbishop of New York.

So what are we to make of all this?

A baptized Catholic​

Continued below.

Reactions: DJWhalen

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So what are we to make of all this?
A Catholic had a funeral Mass.

Does it really matter who ? Let's see:

Generalissimo Franco had a funeral Mass - he was a murdering Fascist Dictator for what, 40 years ?

Mafia members and Wise Guys get the big, high masses all the time (Again murdering, sex trafficking, drug slinging thugs)

One simple transgender person, who never hurt anybody - this is the hill we're going to die on?

Really ?

I honestly don't understand this one. Just let her go, say the requisite prayers for her repose and put her in the ground as a corporal act of mercy, and walk away without comment. It's your best option as a follower of Christ.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Catholic had a funeral Mass.

Does it really matter who ? Let's see:

Generalissimo Franco had a funeral Mass - he was a murdering Fascist Dictator for what, 40 years ?

Mafia members and Wise Guys get the big, high masses all the time (Again murdering, sex trafficking, drug slinging thugs)

One simple transgender person, who never hurt anybody - this is the hill we're going to die on?

Really ?

I honestly don't understand this one. Just let her go, say the requisite prayers for her repose and put her in the ground as a corporal act of mercy, and walk away without comment. It's your best option as a follower of Christ.
No. Not when it’s used for political theater. All one needs to do is read the details.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No. Not when it’s used for political theater. All one needs to do is read the details.

Oh, yeah. Lord above forbid a Catholic Mass ever be used for political theater.

Read a little church history. It happens every day.

You just don't like this particular "political theater"

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No I don’t like this particular political theater. I would not like it regardless of who it was and what their proclivities were.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Two wrongs make a right?

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No I don’t like this particular political theater. I would not like it regardless of who it was and what their proclivities were.

Two wrongs make a right?

Ok, so how come it's only a BIG HAIRY SCANDALOUS DEAL when it's the trans person?

I don't see bishops getting all up and arms about Mafia types, Monarch, Dictators and Politically active conservative types of various strips and the political theater of their Catholicism.

Look, let''s just step back and take a look at the situation like Christ told use on the Sermon on the Mount:

Let's just show a little grace and treat people like we should, let it go, it's going to be ok.

Or -

Be all worked up about it and annoy everyone.

Whatever.

(I'm in a live and let live mood today)

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Church Denies Gotti A Funeral Mass​

Mob boss John Gotti will be buried in a Catholic cemetery alongside his beloved son, but his family was denied permission to hold a funeral Mass for the convicted killer, the Diocese of Brooklyn said Wednesday.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, so how come it's only a BIG HAIRY SCANDALOUS DEAL when it's the trans person?

I don't see bishops getting all up and arms about Mafia types, Monarch, Dictators and Politically active conservative types of various strips and the political theater of their Catholicism.

Look, let''s just step back and take a look at the situation like Christ told use on the Sermon on the Mount:

Let's just show a little grace and treat people like we should, let it go, it's going to be ok.

Or -

Be all worked up about it and annoy everyone.

Whatever.

(I'm in a live and let live mood today)
It’s not because the man was trans. First of all he declared himself an atheist and never recanted as far as I know. If he did, good. But there was making out in the Church. Chants of Saint Cecilia, mother of all wh….., etc. read up on it Charlie. It was not just a funeral. Look at the pics Time published…

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married