United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I give up. . .where do I?

Did Jesus reign and rule in the hearts of the Pharisees?

Then the kingdom of God was not in them.

The kingdom of God is in the body of Christ, which reigns as we speak (Ephesians 2:6).

But Jesus is talking to the Pharisees, He says, "in your midst" or if you prefer "within you".

According to your interpretation Jesus would be saying the kingdom was in the hearts of the Pharisees He was talking to. Because He, speaking to the Pharisees (not to you or me or to His disciples) He says "in the midst of you" or "within you".

My argument is pretty simple here, when Jesus said "the kingdom is within you" or "in the midst of you", He is speaking of Himself. Here, right in the midst of them, was the kingdom because here is the King.

And you are correct, the kingdom of God reigns through the Church. But the kingdom is not an interior spiritual reality that is inside of us.

I am in the kingdom, because I have been baptized and born again (John 3:5) and by the grace of God reign with Christ in heavenly places.

And the fullness of that kingdom shall come when, in the end, God makes all things new.

The kingdom is the external reality of God's reign. We are in the kingdom because we are in Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But Jesus is talking to the Pharisees, He says, "in your midst" or if you prefer "within you".
According to your interpretation Jesus would be saying the kingdom was in the hearts of the Pharisees He was talking to.
Luke 17:21 was a general statement about the nature of the kingdom, not a declaration that it resided in them.
So. . .the Pharisees ask me what does saving faith itself look like.
I tell them "saving faith itself is within you," you can't see it.

I'm not telling them they have saving faith.

Let's not go to the ridiculous here.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OP Question: "Was Acts 15 Jerusalem Council Decree Authoritative?

Bind & loose were common legal terms in Jewish vernacular. Meaning to proclaim something to be forbidden or allowed.
BINDING AND LOOSING - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Amplified Bible:

Matt 16:19 I will give you the keys (authority) of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind [forbid, declare to be improper and unlawful] on earth [g]will have [already] been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit, declare lawful] on earth [h]will have [already] been loosed in heaven.”
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 18 - Amplified Bible

Matt 18:18 I assure you and most solemnly say to you, whatever you bind [forbid, declare to be improper and unlawful] on earth [f]shall have [already] been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit, declare lawful] on earth [g]shall have [already] been loosed in heaven.
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 18 - Amplified Bible

Answer is YES Christ gave His apostles the authority.

• Agree
Reactions: Der Alte
Upvote 0