Was Moses' father-in-law a priest of the true God?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think so.

Genesis 25:
1 Now Abraham had taken another wife, named Keturah, 2and she bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.

Exodus 2:
16 Now a priest of Midian [Reuel] had seven daughters, and they came to draw water and fill the troughs to water their father’s flock.
Reuel (aka Jethro) was a descendant of Abraham. He seemed to worship the God of Abraham. The name Reuel, or Raguel, means “friend of God.” At this point, he only knew God as "El" and not as the LORD.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible:
His name, and the detailed notices in Exodus 18, prove that he was a priest of the one true God who was known to the patriarchs especially under the name El. The great bulk of his tribe, certainly those who lived farther north and more closely in contact with the Hamites of Canaan, were already plunged in idolatry. The conduct of the shepherds Exodus 2:17 may indicate that his person and office were lightly regarded by the idolatrous tribes in his immediate neighborhood.

Exodus 18:
8 Then Moses told his father-in-law all that the LORD had done to Pharaoh and to the Egyptians for Israel’s sake, all the hardship that had come upon them in the way, and how the LORD had delivered them. 9 And Jethro rejoiced for all the good that the LORD had done to Israel, in that he had delivered them out of the hand of the Egyptians.
At this point, Jethro acknowledged the name of the LORD. From Moses, he learned more about the one true God, the God of Abraham.
10 Jethro said, “Blessed be the LORD, who has delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians and out of the hand of Pharaoh and has delivered the people from under the hand of the Egyptians. 11 Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods, because in this affair they dealt arrogantly with the people.” 12 And Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, brought a burnt offering and sacrifices to God; and Aaron came with all the elders of Israel to eat bread with Moses’ father-in-law before God.
This happened before Moses set up the Tabernacle and consecrated Aaron and his sons as priests.

Jethro worshipped the God of Abraham right from the beginning as a priest of Midian though not all Midianites worshipped the one true God. Later in life, he learned of the mighty acts of the LORD from the mouth of his son-in-law Moses. As a priest of God, he held a sacrificial feast with Moses, Aaron, and the elders of Israel before Aaron was ordained as the high priest.

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Jethro worshipped the God of Abraham right from the beginning as a priest of Midian though not all Midianites worshipped the one true God.
The genealogy of Jethro is mentioned in Genesis 25:1-2, which states:

"Abraham had taken another wife, whose name was Keturah. She bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah."

All of the land was given to Abraham and his descendants. Just like God honored the descendants of Hagar, the Egyptan handmaid of Sarah.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The genealogy of Jethro is mentioned in Genesis 25:1-2, which states:

"Abraham had taken another wife, whose name was Keturah. She bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah."

All of the land was given to Abraham and his descendants.
Interesting :) Any verse support?

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting :) Any verse support?
Genesis 15:18-21 God specifies the boundaries of the land He is giving to Abraham's descendants. It includes the territory from the Wadi of Egypt in the south to the Euphrates River in the north, encompassing the land of various ancient peoples.

The Arab continental place is 1500 by 1500 by 1500 miles. This will be the new Jerusalem. When Jesus returns to the Mount of Olives there will be an earthquake that will separate the east from the west and the north from the south. They will be given all the mineral rights and all the airspace.

Starlink satellites orbit approximately 342 miles (550 kilometers) above Earth and put on a spectacular show for observers as they move across the sky.

Zechariah 14:4-5 (NIV):
4 On that day, his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. 5 You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the Lord my God will come, and all the holy ones with him."

The map shows the ground faults where the earthquake will take place. Even there was an earth quake at the time of the resurrection of Jesus.

Matthew 27:52-53 (NIV):

"52 The tombs broke open, and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus' resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people."

After Jesus' death on the cross, at the moment of His resurrection, something extraordinary happened. The tombs of many deceased individuals were miraculously opened, and these holy people, who had already died, were raised to life. This was a unique and supernatural event, signifying the power of Jesus' resurrection and its far-reaching effects beyond His own victory over death.

download (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 15:18-21 God specifies the boundaries of the land He is giving to Abraham's descendants. It includes the territory from the Wadi of Egypt in the south to the Euphrates River in the north, encompassing the land of various ancient peoples.
Thanks for the verse reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
  3. Be concise and to the point.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you: it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Display and indent the quoted text.
I did not quote the text. I just gave the Bible text in case anyone wanted to know. This is the actual verse.

18 On the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying:

“To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the River Euphrates—19 the Kenites, the Kenezzites, the Kadmonites, 20 the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Rephaim, 21 the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.”

download (1).jpeg

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
18 On the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying:

“To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the River Euphrates—19 the Kenites, the Kenezzites, the Kadmonites, 20 the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Rephaim, 21 the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.”
This was given to Abram's promised son Issac, not to his other sons.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
This was given to Abram's promised son Issac, not to his other sons.
Paul talks about how we are adopted or grafted in to replace the limbs that were cut off. I listen to the teaching of a few of the rabbi on youtube. They are glad to work with gentiles that want to learn, but they do not answer a lot of the questions.

Upvote 0