Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Here is an edited version of a thread I started on a certain infidel board. No, I didn't edit cursing. CF did it for me. :clap:Besides, I view cussing as an art form. Anyway:

Try for a few moments to put yourself in New Orleans. Take your current home and your current community and imagine that the same exact conditions exist in your town as they do in New Orleans. Answer the following questions and any others you care pose:

Would your home survive?

Would you survive?

Would there be looting and lawlessness?

Would you loot the local grocery store for survival supplies?

I'll start. I live in Montgomery, AL. I live in a 10-story steel and concrete apartment building downtown. I *think* this building would survive with a few broken windows. I live on the fourth floor, so I'd most likely be above the flood waters.

As for my question about would I survive? I can only say I hope so. I'm one of those people who probably couldn't walk out. I would need rescue. (And before I hear any of the ******** blah blah about fat, lazy Americans, I have athritis and my right foot was crushed when I was younger. Walks of more than a mile hurt like ****ing hell. After about 5 miles, my legs quit working.) Typically, when a bad storm/hurricane hits, I've already stocked up on food and water. Enough to last for at least three days. But after that...I'd have to go out...which leads to...

Hell yes there would be looting and violence here in Montgomery and a lot of it. Racial tensions are barely below the surface here. There are nightly shootings, robberies and a whole host of violent crimes in this town already.

Would I loot the local grocery to survive? Another hell yes. That is, if I was capable of surviving getting out of my apartment and walking to the closest store which is over a mile a way.

What are your thoughts? Would you pose other questions?

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Would your home survive?
Yes. I am above sea level, and the lakes, rivers, ocean, etc. are all beneath me. If it were some kind of tsunami and the water came this far in, then my home probably wouldn't survive, but if I knew in advance that it was going to occur, I'd head to the central states. A tornado could always wipe my place out but we don't see a lot of them.

Would you survive?
Well, if my house is in tact, then yes, why wouldn't I? Aside from that, I'm a survivor. I'm a fighter. So, in either case, I would assume that I would survive.
Most assuredly.

If I had no food, and my little boy was going to starve or dehydrate, then yes, I would. I already have survival supplies, but if I needed more, I'd probably take them as well. I'd also pray and ask for forgiveness. If I had money, I'd pay for what I took, though it wouldn't make much sense to do that at the time. As I am sure that any money I left would be taken by somebody else.

Upvote 0

britishtankgirl

Aug 16, 2005
portsmouth, england
Visit site
✟15,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
would your home survive?
not likely, its a victorian terrraced, tiny, very very common where i live. the water would be above it by now.
Would you survive?
erm not sure. im 9 months preganant i have 3 kids and a husband we both dont drive. but wed most proberbly have enough money to have gotten a train to my husbands parents house, or some other relative's. im pretty sure our friends would have given us lifts and help maybe all gone away camping for the storm. but we wouldnt have anything to come back to.
yes in my city most definatly.
well id most prob have enough food to survive us for quite awhile. personally i wouldnt go and loot. but im sure my husband wouldnt have a problem with it especaily to get food for the kids and me.

Upvote 0

Farouche Exegete

Sep 19, 2004
✟279.00
Faith
Pantheist
Garnet2727 said:
Here is an edited version of a thread I started on a certain infidel board. No, I didn't edit cursing. CF did it for me. :clap:Besides, I view cussing as an art form. Anyway:

Try for a few moments to put yourself in New Orleans. Take your current home and your current community and imagine that the same exact conditions exist in your town as they do in New Orleans. Answer the following questions and any others you care pose:

Would your home survive?

Possibly yes, I'm in the middle floors of an apartment. My parent's home would not, I would want them to come stay with me, and any other family that live in low lying areas.

Garnet2727 said:
Would you survive?
Probably-but maybe not because I'm on prescription medicines.

Garnet2727 said:
Yes, but most likely a more genteel kind, since this area doesn't have a lot of racial tensions that I know of, and most families have guns, and everyone knows that. I would guess that might put a crimp on absolute lawlessness, if looters were aware that most people would be armed.

Garnet2727 said:
Yes, I would, and the pharmacy for medications, if necessary.

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would your home survive?
Maybe. maybe not... Its on a hill so it might be safe...

Would you survive?
Yes, I would....

Most definitely... any disaster like that it, looting will occur...

Without hesitation if I needed something...Walmart here I come....

Upvote 0

Rusticus

Jul 2, 2005
✟8,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Garnet2727 said:
Would your home survive?

Would you survive?

Yes.

Yes.

No. (there is no-one else living within 10km of my house).

No. (there is no grocery store to loot)

But, the above only applies to the specific situation talked about at the moment.

Especially the first two answers may well differ if we talk about bushfires, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, epidemics etc etc.

(You see, the problem is that we often prepare for specific threats, but then something altogether different happens, that catches us unawares...)

Upvote 0

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟11,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Garnet2727 said:
Would your home survive?
No. It wasn't made to resist hurricane force winds. It is on top of a hill, so it can't be easily flooded, but I doubt it would last that long.

Garnet2727 said:
Would you survive?
Perhaps, but I suspect that I would be one of the missing. I don't like to leave my home, wherever that is, and I've already pointed out that in a hurricane it would probably not remain standing.

Garnet2727 said:
After days will little relief? Undoubtedly. Luckily I live in an isolated area, which would probably protect me somewhat.

Garnet2727 said:
Without hesitation if it meant feeding my family. I doubt that a store would be able to sell anything anyway, but I'm not the type to allow careless property damage. I might take what I need, but I wouldn't break into a stereo store either.

Upvote 0

psychedelicist

aka the Akhashic Record Player
Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
My home is right next to a runoff ditch, and it's one of the lowest points for many miles around. so no, most of my neighborhood would be well underwater.

As for me, I'd try my hardest to survive, but I'd try to help others as much as possible befor thinking of myself, so I might get the short end of the stick a bit

As for crime, yes, to the point where I'd probably take a shotgun or pistol with me (not to shoot anyone else with, but for self defence)

I wouldn't think twice about looting a store to get supplies. Nothing that I didn't eed of course, I probably wouldn't be thinking about that new CD that just came out when half the city is flooded.

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Garnet2727 said:

Would your home survive?

Would you survive?

I'll start. I live in Montgomery, AL. I live in a 10-story steel and concrete apartment building downtown. I *think* this building would survive with a few broken windows. I live on the fourth floor, so I'd most likely be above the flood waters.

As for my question about would I survive? I can only say I hope so. I'm one of those people who probably couldn't walk out. I would need rescue. (And before I hear any of the ******** blah blah about fat, lazy Americans, I have athritis and my right foot was crushed when I was younger. Walks of more than a mile hurt like ****ing hell. After about 5 miles, my legs quit working.) Typically, when a bad storm/hurricane hits, I've already stocked up on food and water. Enough to last for at least three days. But after that...I'd have to go out...which leads to...

Hell yes there would be looting and violence here in Montgomery and a lot of it. Racial tensions are barely below the surface here. There are nightly shootings, robberies and a whole host of violent crimes in this town already.

Would I loot the local grocery to survive? Another hell yes. That is, if I was capable of surviving getting out of my apartment and walking to the closest store which is over a mile a way.

What are your thoughts? Would you pose other questions?
I honestly can't say what I'd do. You must be put to the test before you really know. As far as a hurricane is concerned, I'm safe. I live in a suburb of Denver. In the event of a natural disaster that caused widespread chaos here. There would certainly be looting. Human Nature. Now back to what I'd do. Well, I'm a Christian. If my faith is real. I'm not out there looting. Since I'm saved, if I run out of food, and there's none to be had. I'll go without. I have a filter pump, that I use when I go backpacking. so I'll be able to get water. I figure I can go at least 20 days without eating. Probobly by then Help of some sort will have arrived. If not, well, this is not the only life I have. I'll find a place where I can at least be somewhat comfortable, and wait for the end.

Upvote 0

Madcoil

Oct 29, 2004
✟15,936.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
The nearest lake is 150 metres above sea-level, I think, and my house another 50 metres above that. So, my house would survive. Besides, half the house is concrete...

I would survive it easily. It's not as though I haven't been completely cut of from civilization before. A few times every winter, in fact.

No more looting and lawlessness than usual. Which is pretty bad, really.

I have no convenience store to rob. If I had, I still wouldn't. Besides, in this kind of crisis the stores would probably give away their food and let the insurance company handle the rest. Anyway the neighbours are farmers, so we've got all the cows we can eat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

The Seeker

Would your home survive?
My house is built on a fairly steep hill, so it'd be safe from flooding, but I don't know whether the hurricane would reduce it to rubble or leave it standing. We don't have a basement or a storm cellar so I dunno where we would go during the storm.

Would you survive?
I would try.

Probably, though I'm morally ambivalent about the two anyway ;)

Of course, who wouldn't?

Upvote 0