Peace Keeper

Jun 10, 2016
Texas, USA
✟16,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There has to be better threads to pick a fight in than one where the OP is sincere and trying to be uplifting. But that's just me.

Yeah, it is discouraging to see a lot of arguments or discussions or whatever you want to call it throughout the forums, but sometimes people crave for encouragement and to know they are not the only ones. Thank you! :)

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There has to be better threads to pick a fight in than one where the OP is sincere and trying to be uplifting. But that's just me.

Hm I'm not so sure. When a thread with a decidedly theological slant shows up in a non-theological forum, I think it's fair game. But that's just me.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
When we walk in the Spirit we will have and practice the Fruits of the Spirit, we follow and worship God in Spirit and in Truth. I really don't know what else you mean.
I think he means that you're talking in circles. I, too, am wondering what this looks like in practice.

Upvote 0

Peace Keeper

Jun 10, 2016
Texas, USA
✟16,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think he means that you're talking in circles. I, too, am wondering what this looks like in practice.

We must meditate on God's Word, we must strive to think on good and pure things. We must stay in prayer. Through God's strength He will help us overcome, we must submit to Him. Does that help give a better understanding? I don't know exactly what else to say, it is a process and we must faithfully continue to seek God.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For me personally, 'sexual impurity' is interchangeable with 'poor decision making'.
I like to think that, in my current spiritual walk, I am leaning on strength and encouragement from God to keep me from the pattern of a poor quality of life I once had. These poor decisions and low esteem for myself were heavily revolved around wordly pleasures.
Since giving that lifestyle up and living for something else, in my case God and a more positive attitude in general, I have experienced not only a much better life, but also a deep, unconditional happiness like I have never known.
Not to say it is perfect and I am some big beam of sunshine 24/7. But I can for sure tell a major difference.

Upvote 0

Peace Keeper

Jun 10, 2016
Texas, USA
✟16,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For me personally, 'sexual impurity' is interchangeable with 'poor decision making'.
I like to think that, in my current spiritual walk, I am leaning on strength and encouragement from God to keep me from the pattern of a poor quality of life I once had. These poor decisions and low esteem for myself were heavily revolved around wordly pleasures.
Since giving that lifestyle up and living for something else, in my case God and a more positive attitude in general, I have experienced not only a much better life, but also a deep, unconditional happiness like I have never known.
Not to say it is perfect and I am some big beam of sunshine 24/7. But I can for sure tell a major difference.

Yes exactly, we all make mistakes and have poor decisions sometimes, but we can still strive to do better and to live for God, He forgives and washes us clean and helps us to become new creations. It is such freedom to live for God than for our worldly pleasures that our flesh craves, but God helps us overcome the flesh through Him, that is what I wanted others to know and to encourage them. :)

Reactions: MotherFirefly
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Look my whole point for asking the questions that I have, and saying the things that I've said is that the purity movement is rooted in bad theology and praxis.

The purity movement is flawed because it shifts a persons focus on to purity as an end unto itself. The point of the Christian life isn't purity, the point is living the historic and orthodox faith of Christ and the Apostles which is far more holistic than simply purity alone. A chaste lifestyle means more than just sexual purity, it means a single-minded intent to exercise faith, hope and charity.

When one is genuinely interested in that kind of lifestyle then virtues like prudence, justice, temperance and courage grow out of that.

Now regardless of what the OP's intentions were for the post, the takeaway for a lot of readers (whether they're members or guests on the site) is that flawed concept. Which is why it's important to correct it.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peace Keeper

Jun 10, 2016
Texas, USA
✟16,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't really know much about the purity movement or if there was such a thing, but I do know people struggle and want to be set free from bad thoughts and habits which only God can set us free from, but I wanted to show that it is possible to happen. This post is also to help encourage those who make excuses and continue to live in their old lifestyles without asking for forgiveness and seeking healing and restoration from God, for them to ask for forgiveness and seek God with all their hearts.

Reactions: Nom De Guerre
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,677.00
Faith
Christian
I don't agree nor disagree, but I think topics such as these have the tendency to distract from the bigger picture. I'd much rather aim to be a better person than I was yesterday, and build myself up everyday brick by brick, than focus on one singular aspect to the point that it pulls me away from other, more pressing (?) matters.

The devil can often appear as an angel of light, and who's to say that you're not being led down a blind alley by striving for something that may be a complete red herring in the bigger picture?

Just to play the devil's advocate...

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't agree nor disagree, but I think topics such as these have the tendency to distract from the bigger picture. I'd much rather aim to be a better person than I was yesterday, and build myself up everyday brick by brick, than focus on one singular aspect to the point that it pulls me away from other, more pressing (?) matters.

The devil can often appear as an angel of light, and who's to say that you're not being led down a blind alley by striving for something that may be a complete red herring in the bigger picture?

Just to play the devil's advocate...

What you are saying is very true, but I want to add that the first step to avoid falling into a pattern you described, would be knowing your weaknesses, and in reality everyone struggles with different things on different levels.

I am amazed at how many people want to focus on a particular problem in their life, as you are saying, yet ignore other problems that are just as pertinent.
Whether out of pride, ignorance, or some other third thing.

I think videos and discussions like this thread are good to have, as conversing relatable weaknesses can be encouraging for our brain. However, I believe knowing yourself [your limits, temptations, strengths and weaknesses] is by far the most important step before even beginning a search for solutions.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,677.00
Faith
Christian
What you are saying is very true, but I want to add that the first step to avoid falling into a pattern you described, would be knowing your weaknesses, and in reality everyone struggles with different things on different levels.

I am amazed at how many people want to focus on a particular problem in their life, as you are saying, yet ignore other problems that are just as pertinent.
Whether out of pride, ignorance, or some other third thing.

I think videos and discussions like this thread are good to have, as conversing relatable weaknesses can be encouraging for our brain. However, I believe knowing yourself [your limits, temptations, strengths and weaknesses] is by far the most important step before even beginning a search for solutions.

Oh, you're absolutely right. Something my post was lacking actually was what you said about knowing your weaknesses.

I was sort of bouncing off of Darth Bagel's posts a bit. The militant way of thinking on singular matters can be worse than actually committing the sin itself! It serves as a huge distraction.

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The militant way of thinking on singular matters can be worse than actually committing the sin itself! It serves as a huge distraction.

Amen.

Smoking would be another similar example. It's so easy to pick on it, because it's so visible and smellable thing. In some churches, they refuse to baptize people who smoke.

I personally think that people who love making big fuss out of superficial things, like pre-marital sex (I get it as personal preference, but as a measurement of holiness I don't), smoking, drinking etc. are more Pharisee-like than Jesus-like.

Also, in my experience (I have no idea how accurate it is) pretty often people who are making the biggest deal out of superficial things, tend to have some pretty bad skeletons in their closets.

Reactions: blackribbon
Upvote 0