Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But we don't have Paul anymore . writing is so limited Paul even commended people for being a living epistle written on the table of the human heart . but no, Paul is no more a reflection of God than you or I . But Jesus . He is the one we set our eyes on .
Yes, our example, our goal is to be like Jesus, but the question is how to do that....several times in scripture we are told that people like (in this case) Paul are our example. To imitate Paul is to imitate his love, determination, striving, example to be like Christ. It is to understand the humility of being nothing, poured out as it were that God might fill us...the imitation of Paul is not in being like Paul, but rather in being so compelled to be like Christ that we would willingly endure all that is asked of us without complaint but instead learning to be content in all things. This is what it means to imitate Paul...now to imitate Christ, that also is easy to reduce in words, it means to pour ourselves out that others might live. It is to become less so that others might live, it is to learn sacrificial love, servant leadership, the law of recipricals in which the first will be last and the last first.

In both cases we learn something of great value, in the one, we learn who Christ is, in the other we learn how to be like Christ.

And btw, if I am not a reflection of the Christ, I am failing in my life as a believer. It is the very image of God within me, living in me and me in Him that the world should see and if the world does not see it, then I am not living in the life God has called me to live. My life, if lived in the Spirit, will be in direct contrast to the world and will show to the world a reflection of the Christ as I learn to become as one with HIm.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, our example, our goal is to be like Jesus, but the question is how to do that....several times in scripture we are told that people like (in this case) Paul are our example. To imitate Paul is to imitate his love, determination, striving, example to be like Christ. It is to understand the humility of being nothing, poured out as it were that God might fill us...the imitation of Paul is not in being like Paul, but rather in being so compelled to be like Christ that we would willingly endure all that is asked of us without complaint but instead learning to be content in all things. This is what it means to imitate Paul...now to imitate Christ, that also is easy to reduce in words, it means to pour ourselves out that others might live. It is to become less so that others might live, it is to learn sacrificial love, servant leadership, the law of recipricals in which the first will be last and the last first.

In both cases we learn something of great value, in the one, we learn who Christ is, in the other we learn how to be like Christ.

And btw, if I am not a reflection of the Christ, I am failing in my life as a believer. It is the very image of God within me, living in me and me in Him that the world should see and if the world does not see it, then I am not living in the life God has called me to live. My life, if lived in the Spirit, will be in direct contrast to the world and will show to the world a reflection of the Christ as I learn to become as one with HIm.

I understand .

As for me. i will aspire to be like Jesus .

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand .

As for me. i will aspire to be like Jesus .
as will I, and I will use people like Paul, Timothy, Peter, etc. as an example of how to do that.

May we both succeed in showing the world a God whose love is beyond compare.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Many people who are forced, never make their beliefs their own, it is always the belief of their parents....

same can be true of the local church . it can have a similar "family" effect on people's theology also .

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I am following your comment here, please elaborate

Well, its kinda like you're always around the same people talking about the same theology with the same "taboo" topics . so if God were to introduce to your mind a new concept it may be cut off in the subconscious by the stress caused by the conceived conversations the new concept might generate .

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, its kinda like you're always around the same people talking about the same theology with the same "taboo" topics . so if God were to introduce to your mind a new concept it may be cut off in the subconscious by the stress caused by the conceived conversations the new concept might generate .
I've never had that problem :)

so how then would that affect the walk away christian?

Upvote 0

ComingWitDaBig3

Jus Coming In!!
May 10, 2009
✟7,717.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

[If I'm reading what you said correctly] Thence boring conversations and your spiriutal growth left to what you can do at home rather than both home and church. That is or can be sad, :( I'm guessing it also brings limited mobility to spiritual growth as well. Not cool.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

when they walk away, their creativity would skyrocket and their relationship and intimacy with God would improve, slowly over time .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
when they walk away, their creativity would skyrocket and their relationship and intimacy with God would improve, slowly over time .
or would flounder depending on the nurturing that new creativity had...very insightful, thanks

Upvote 0

ComingWitDaBig3

Jus Coming In!!
May 10, 2009
✟7,717.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

I say depending on the person temperament,(they just leave if they can't handle the same thing over and over.) [This could be one reason of many]

:cool:

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[If I'm reading what you said correctly] Thence boring conversations and your spiriutal growth left to what you can do at home rather than both home and church. That is or can be sad, :( I'm guessing it also brings limited mobility to spiritual growth as well. Not cool.
for a vast number of people, church is just a ritual without meaning...for a vast number of people, religious belief never leaves the church doors...and where it is extremely sad, it is reality, and can drive many from the Christ.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I say depending on the person temperament,(they just leave if they can't handle the same thing over and over.) [This could be one reason of many]

:cool:
and that is the difference between church/religion, and Christ, for Christ is never boring nor the same thing over and over and over again....a God who created the universe and all that is in it, can and will certainly inspire our own creativity, especially if we are made in His own image

Upvote 0

ComingWitDaBig3

Jus Coming In!!
May 10, 2009
✟7,717.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
for a vast number of people, church is just a ritual without meaning...for a vast number of people, religious belief never leaves the church doors...and where it is extremely sad, it is reality, and can drive many from the Christ.
Good post :thumbsup:

and that is the difference between church/religion, and Christ, for Christ is never boring nor the same thing over and over and over again....a God who created the universe and all that is in it, can and will certainly inspire our own creativity, especially if we are made in His own image
I agree, :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Walking away from the churches are not the same as walking away from God - I really hungered for God going to church every time the doors opened - our churches (some of them) are very lacking in a personal relationship with Jesus.

I walked away from church, but certainly not away from Jesus - my relationship is now stronger than every since I just follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and not all the laws made up by man to control.

Upvote 0

HoneyComb Son

Veteran
Jan 27, 2004
✟2,902.00
Faith
Christian
"If from rutted religion/church; one walked-away, in order to in-Christ-live... dynamically & creatively you make a wise choice"

thanks Sk8joyful...thought it may not be what i meant i know thats whats in my heart

ive havent found the freedom im seeking..i left religion..or "God" in a sense..well not really..just the rotten view and traditions and false doctrines of man about God

I honestly dont know God..as He is..except what i know.and that is not good.ive been trying to see with new eyes and hear with new ears..but Ive havent seen the real Jesus..because they are many false ones..and look alikes.and I cant tell whats what..and whose who.

even with the bible..its so deep:S

Upvote 0

AllTalkNoAction

Potentially Wonderful
Aug 7, 2005
Near London, England
Visit site
✟19,423.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Why is it that so many people who were raised Christian, walked away from Christ as an adult, now want to talk religion when they meet a Christian? . . .
Because, like me, they saw that it doesn't make any difference to people so it is a waste of time.
OK, for some it appeases their conscience, or it makes them more respectable members of society, or it offers social events in an otherwise unsociable society, or a "nice" marriage partner, or sunday school something of God which the parents don't feel they can provide, or it just gives them a morning off!

People are led to believe they are Christians, members of God's church because they followed the traditions, "prayed the sinners prayer" etc, so they think they know what Christianity is.

The truth is, what they think is church isn't, what they think is a Christian isn't.

The true think is what Jessu set up in Acts 2. Many of these places have replaced that work of God with their own ideas.

I do a lot of street outreach and oiften meept people who say they were brought up Christian, I tell them that no-one is born a a Christian, Jesus says you need to be born again, to receive His Spirit which you were not born with, neither do you receive it over time or by taking communion or making confessions.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"If from rutted religion/church; one walked-away,
in order to 'in-Christ live dynamically & creatively...' you make a wise choice"

thanks Sk8joyful...thought it may not be what i meant i know thats whats in my heart

ive havent found the freedom im seeking..i left religion..or "God" in a sense..well not really..just the rotten view and traditions and false doctrines of man about God

I honestly dont know God..as He is..except what i know.and that is not good.ive been trying to see with new eyes and hear with new ears..but Ive havent seen the real Jesus..because they are many false ones..and look alikes.and I cant tell whats what..and whose who.

even with the bible..its so deep:S
Hi HoneyComb Son,

You've seen many post in this thread about "Christ-in-me". And you won't see the real Jesus. For none of us can ever be 'Jesus'. Every person's walk is limited in their own perceptions...

You've been trying to "see with new :) eyes and hear with new ears." Both are commendable!, and with them, what are you trying to accomplish?
Teach?, & what? - the most essential: Accepting God/Jesus as personal :angel: Savior; and what additional aspects of "life-renewal" :thumbsup: would you teach? - Some of us have also for many years taught about God's extensive :clap: gifts to us such as self-healing, & furthering human developments. And from the Bible, we have many clues... about how God is well-pleased when his children make good use of such abilities He gave to us each & all. - Here's one such clue, in Matthew 18:1-5: "If you would inherit God's kindgom, convert, & become as a little-child". - Astutely you recognize how-so tiny LITTLE-children (always the emphasis on "little"), will give you the new :) eyes & new ears, you seek.

This is most likely food for a new thread :wave:

Upvote 0