bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would like something more specific.

bugkiller

How about this?

3:19 We will know by this that we are of the truth, and will assure our heart before Him 20 in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; 22 and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

23 This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. 24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How about this?

3:19 We will know by this that we are of the truth, and will assure our heart before Him 20 in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; 22 and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

23 This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. 24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
While I completely agree with the above passage, my understanding is many seem to imply it is the 10 Cs and not the commandments of Jesus. For me I want to know why and what is their premise.

bugkiller

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
While I completely agree with the above passage, my understanding is many seem to imply it is the 10 Cs and not the commandments of Jesus. For me I want to know why and what is their premise.

bugkiller

That is why I quoted it in context. It takes a great deal of effort to twist it to mean the 10 Cs.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Life is all about obeying & teaching God's commandments. That is what the Messiah did when He walked the earth. Same for Paul. Paul even took a vow to prove that he lived in obedience to God's law(His commandments). Acts 21:24

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Life is all about obeying & teaching God's commandments. That is what the Messiah did when He walked the earth. Same for Paul. Paul even took a vow to prove that he lived in obedience to God's law(His commandments). Acts 21:24

Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.

John 4:23 But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How about this?

Thanks for this quote.

Some here read God the Father in the 1st 2 verses. I agree with that. The problem seems to be verse 23. Some people have problems with the pronouns and punctuation. Another problem is some don't consider other verses found in the NT.They tend to by-pass Jesus in verse 23.

We live in Jesus and Jesus lives in us.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. John 15:4-7

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying the law of Moses by "God's commandments?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That doesn't agree with the posted passage from 1 John 3.

Yes it does. The quote from 1 John 3 is not the *only* command. Notice in the verses before and after say "commands". 1 John 5:3 even says that the love of God is to obey His commands(not 1 command)

God's commands are all about loving Him with your heart, strength & soul, and loving your neighbor as yourself. The Messiah said these are the 2 most important commands. Mark 12:29-31

Look at the 10 commandments, for example. They are founded upon loving God, and loving your neighbor as yourself. That's what all the commandments are based on.

Messiah talked and walked a life of loving and obeying God, and loving your neighbor as yourself. He didn't pop up on the scene with a new religion.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes it does. The quote from 1 John 3 is not the *only* command. Notice in the verses before and after say "commands". 1 John 5:3 even says that the love of God is to obey His commands(not 1 command)

God's commands are all about loving Him with your heart, strength & soul, and loving your neighbor as yourself. The Messiah said these are the 2 most important commands. Mark 12:29-31

Look at the 10 commandments, for example. They are founded upon loving God, and loving your neighbor as yourself. That's what all the commandments are based on.

Messiah talked and walked a life of loving and obeying God, and loving your neighbor as yourself. He didn't pop up on the scene with a new religion.
Verse 23 says

And this is his (God the Father's) commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he (Jesus) gave us commandment.

So there is one commandment of God in verse 23.

The point has been made several times by other posters that Jesus doesn't teach the law and teaches opposition to it. Don't take this to mean I think Jesus teaches sin or the right to sin as promoted by the lawyers. Take the Sermon on the Mount for example. Jesus quotes the law and then says ""but I say." Such a statement means that He is saying something different from the quoted.

Have to go.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Verse 23 says

And this is his (God the Father's) commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he (Jesus) gave us commandment.

So there is one commandment of God in verse 23.

The point has been made several times by other posters that Jesus doesn't teach the law and teaches opposition to it. Don't take this to mean I think Jesus teaches sin or the right to sin as promoted by the lawyers. Take the Sermon on the Mount for example. Jesus quotes the law and then says ""but I say." Such a statement means that He is saying something different from the quoted.

Have to go.
If the Messiah taught against God's commandments(which He didn't), then He is a false prophet according to God. Deuteronomy 13

Do you believe Jesus of Nazareth is a false prophet? You make Him out to be a false prophet by accusing Him of teaching against God's law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If the Messiah taught against God's commandments(which He didn't), then He is a false prophet according to God. Deuteronomy 13

Do you believe Jesus of Nazareth is a false prophet? You make Him out to be a false prophet by accusing Him of teaching against God's law.

Was He mistaken when He said that He came to fulfill the Law? What did He mean by that statement?

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Was He mistaken when He said that He came to fulfill the Law? What did He mean by that statement?

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

I believe it means to fully preach/explain/teach it. In Romans 15:19 Paul said he "fully preached" the gospel, using the same word Messiah used when He said He came to fulfill the law. Surely you don't believe Paul did away with the gospel, do you? ;)

Messiah plainly says "do not think that I have come to abolish it". Then he goes on to say "nothing will pass from The law until heaven & earth pass away". Let's be honest: aren't heaven and earth still here?

So to answer your question, no He was not mistaken. He's the Messiah, He can't be mistaken. He was teaching the law and prophets properly. By the time He came on the scene, the Pharisees and scribes had distorted the everything and were not properly teaching the law and prophets.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe it means to fully preach/explain/teach it. In Romans 15:19 Paul said he "fully preached" the gospel, using the same word Messiah used when He said He came to fulfill the law. Surely you don't believe Paul did away with the gospel, do you? ;)

Messiah plainly says "do not think that I have come to abolish it". Then he goes on to say "nothing will pass from The law until heaven & earth pass away". Let's be honest: aren't heaven and earth still here?

So to answer your question, no He was not mistaken. He's the Messiah, He can't be mistaken. He was teaching the law and prophets properly. By the time He came on the scene, the Pharisees and scribes had distorted the everything and were not properly teaching the law and prophets.

Was Paul correct when he wrote -

Romans 13:8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. 9 For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Was Paul correct when he wrote -

Romans 13:8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. 9 For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Yes he is. He is summarizing those commandments into the 2nd most important commandment: loving your neighbor as yourself :)

That's exactly what the Messiah taught, that all the commands are summarized into:

#1 loving God
#2 loving your neighbor as yourself

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes he is. He is summarizing those commandments into the 2nd most important commandment: loving your neighbor as yourself :)

That's exactly what the Messiah taught, that all the commands are summarized into:

#1 loving God
#2 loving your neighbor as yourself

Excellent! I am working on loving my neighbor as myself. When I master that I will worry about other things.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0