Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The left shouldn't be going after one of their own (former middle class person who managed to build their own company and escape the middle class).

I'm middle class, and I have NEVER been "left", which I take it now = Democrat. Independent, yes. Voted for Democrats, yes. Republican, since Obama. But I ain't "left".

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm middle class, and I have NEVER been "left", which I take it now = Democrat. Independent, yes. Voted for Democrats, yes. Republican, since Obama. But I ain't "left".

I didn't mean one of their own in terms of politics, I meant in terms of income.

They talk about how they want to go after the rich to make them pay "their fair share", but I never hear them pushing for an estate tax, it's always about the income tax. Which means that if a former middle class person started a company and now makes a nice income, now they suddenly have a target on their back for the hope & change missile.

Reactions: Jeffwhosoever
Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't mean one of their own in terms of politics, I meant in terms of income.

They talk about how they want to go after the rich to make them pay "their fair share", but I never hear them pushing for an estate tax, it's always about the income tax. Which means that if a former middle class person started a company and now makes a nice income, now they suddenly have a target on their back for the hope & change missile.

That would affect 2-3% of small businesses or less. I would like us to go back to the taxes in the 1990's. That would mean a small increase for those in the lower income classes and a larger increase for those in the higher income bracket (3-4%). Let's start paying for our expenses instead of secretly borrowing from China.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Let's start paying for our expenses instead of secretly borrowing from China.

Kind of backwards to the way things have gone since Obama took office, but I agree.

Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kind of backwards to the way things have gone since Obama took office, but I agree.

The bottom line is we need to spend less in the long term and raise more money. I think both Democrats and Republicans can agree to atleast half of that.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now that deserves a copyright! :clap:

Actually, I coined that in 2010 lol.

In November 2010, I put down the deposit for energy efficient doors & windows to get put in my place...expecting to get the 30% tax credit...then this happened.

... the tax bill signed by President Barack Obama in December 2010 cut the dollar amount of tax credits available for energy-efficient home retrofits.

pixel.gif

When my girlfriend at the time asked what I was so p*ssed about, I said I just got hit with a "hope & change missle". I was "hoping" to get the tax credit, but Obama "changed" that. ^_^

Upvote 0

HalfoffSale

Aug 28, 2011
✟8,607.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

You clearly don't read the papers then.

Estate tax debate re-emerges as fiscal cliff looms - Kelsey Snell - POLITICO.com

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
me said:
They talk about how they want to go after the rich to make them pay "their fair share", but I never hear them pushing for an estate tax

I think my point still stands...

From your article:

Your Article said:
If Congress doesn’t act before the end of the year, the tax will expand from a 35 percent rate on estates valued at more than $5 million, to 41 percent to 55 percent on estates valued at more than $1 million. Those rates would affect 55,200 estates next year, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.
Letting that happen has virtually no support in either party.

Upvote 0

HalfoffSale

Aug 28, 2011
✟8,607.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They talk about how they want to go after the rich to make them pay "their fair share", but I never hear them pushing for an estate tax, it's always about the income tax.

I think my point still stands...

Indeed, the battle over the estate tax has long been disproportionate to its actual impact. For decades it has been a convenient tool for writing a narrative about the other party’s entire tax platform. Democrats say it helps ensure that the rich pay their fair share. Republicans cast it as the long arm of the government snatching Americans’ hard-earned profits and investments.

Really?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You quoted it, but I guess you missed the bit about forcing employees to work off the clock, discrimination against women, and driving American jobs overseas.

all the people I know who have worked for wal mart have loved it. A college friend worked there almost a decade. He said that if he ever lost his job as a programmer he would go back there in a minute

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
all the people I know who have worked for wal mart have loved it. A college friend worked there almost a decade. He said that if he ever lost his job as a programmer he would go back there in a minute

:confused:

Yeah, it's great if you want to work in a dirty, understaffed store, with dirty obnoxious customers, owned by a company that tries to brainwash you. Working the registers in the winter is a blast, too, because the doors are open so much. And if you're a dude, you can get assigned to pushing carts around the parking lot!

-Dan.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yep...read your article. It says Democrats support it, it doesn't say how many.

At the bottom of the article, it states that it has virtually no support from either party.

Upvote 0

HalfoffSale

Aug 28, 2011
✟8,607.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yep...read your article. It says Democrats support it, it doesn't say how many.

At the bottom of the article, it states that it has virtually no support from either party.

A word for word proof against your post, and you're still doubling down? Amazing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A word for word proof against your post, and you're still doubling down? Amazing.

Not really, I said "I never hear anyone going after estate tax, it's always about income tax"

If it has "virtually no support from either party" according to your article, it would explain why I never hear people pushing for an increased estate tax.

Even on these forums, I only see the occasional post suggesting it (and usually it's when I mention it and someone says "yeah, I could go for that")

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm curious when your friend worked for Walmart. I've known people who loved it but they worked from Walmart when Sam Walton was alive. Everything I've seen is that Walmart has really gone downhill, particularly working conditions, since Sam Walton passed away. Those I've known who worked for Walmart while Walton was alive and have continued working for them hate the way the company has changed and the way employees are now treated.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm curious when your friend worked for Walmart. I've known people who loved it but they worked from Walmart when Sam Walton was alive. Everything I've seen is that Walmart has really gone downhill, particularly working conditions, since Sam Walton passed away. Those I've known who worked for Walmart while Walton was alive and have continued working for them hate the way the company has changed and the way employees are now treated.

I worked for them after Sam had died, after most of the more egregious labor violations had been curtailed, but before they started getting super serious about minimizing labor expenses. I would put my experience at more-or-less what I'd expect for any large, faceless retail machine. I showed up, did my job, and went home. As a cashier, I didn't get screwed or witness any gross incompetence from management (though I wasn't in a position to), but it wasn't something that a software engineer would be running back to, either.

-Dan.

Upvote 0