The Lord directs my steps
Apr 10, 2004
Texas, the best state :)
✟2,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that kissing in most cases can and does lead to more things. I believe that the courtship time should be get to know each other emotionally and mentally, NOT physically. As far as I know, nowhere in the Bible does it approve of people having physical (kissing in romantic ways, not friendly ways, etc) contact before marriage. (The closest it gets is Ruth sleeping at Boaz's feet, hehe) ;)

Upvote 0

Glorianna

I'm a proud Canadian who married an American!
Mar 29, 2004
USA
✟30,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My boyfriend and I are waiting until we are married to kiss. We both want our first kiss to be on the altar. To me, kissing is something that should be saved for marriage, just like sex. It's something very special that should be saved for your spouse. My relationship with my boyfriend is like kendrir’s relationship with his girlfriend: “We consider ourselves "courting" and are seeking the Lord's will first, and know that as long as we keep Him the centerpiece, He will cause the love he has sown between us to grow.” (A quote from kendrir.)

Upvote 0

leah-bygrace

May 14, 2004
Visit site
✟7,770.00
Faith
Christian
:clap: I cannot tell you how much respect and admiration I have for you and your bf. The secular world has distorted our minds into thinking that waiting to kiss until your engagement (or :eek: until you're married) is abhorrent and somehow abnormal.

I personally believe that this is a beautiful commitment to each other. In a sense, it is "just a kiss". But as others said before me, that does open the door to lust. If I could go back and change my relationship with my bf, I wish we would've done the same thing. I suppose we could start now though....:idea: :D

IMO only truly dedicated people can commit to something of this magnitude, and I praise God that you are both commited to this.

Upvote 0

Fineous_Reese

Striving to be like the men of Issachar
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2004
✟31,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
not sure why i'm sharing this but it seemed somehow fitting to the topic. the lady i'd been seeing lately (about five dates over a couple months as we live about an hour apart) called to say she wanted to break it off for two reasons. the first was religious differences and the second was she doesn't want to wait to kiss. it's amusing (while painful) to find that getting physical helped destroy my previous relationships and avoiding it ended this one :D

anywho, i'm sticking to my guns and keeping my lips to myself. i've considered monkhood before, don't they get to study the bible and practice martial arts all day? sounds perfect! ;)

-Fin

Upvote 0

Etharia

Weather Sprite
Aug 16, 2003
Commerce City
Visit site
✟429.00
Faith
Christian
I have never met anyone who waited to kiss.
However, I always wanted to wait until my wedding day to kiss. I have always felt that the kiss on your wedding day is something special and sacred and I've never understood how people could feel it was so special when they've been kissing people since they were 12. I also want to "court" instead of date.
My sisters all think I'm nuts. but I feel strongly about it, so I ignore my sisters' comments.
I think waiting until engagement is a wonderful idea.

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟23,457.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
I went on a first date tonight with a special girl. We held hands. I probably could have kissed her, but it did not feel right. I will not say I will wait forever, but I do want this time to be different and special. I do want to kiss her, but I also want it to mean something. I am not sure how long we will wait, but I do want to be a better man than I have been in the past.

Upvote 0

2scoops

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear
May 19, 2004
Dayton, OH
✟11,851.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
jenptcfan said:
I think that this type awkwardness could be avoided if there was ample communication (ahead of time) about what each party expected during the wedding day. Heck, even a previously kissing couple should discuss what kind of kiss they think is appropriate in a public/church setting. ;)

To the OP: Don't let anyone discourage you. You're not going to look back on the experience of waiting in 10 years and think "wow I really screwed that one up!"...once you're married you'll have the rest of your life to smooch on your honey! I admire the type of commitment it takes to abstain from kissing.

I've had some kind of flippant attitudes about kissing in the past and I wish I would have taken it more seriously...I'm not sure if I will make a commitment to not kiss in my next relationship, but I'm going to plan on having some guidelines in place so I don't store up as many regrets.
I agree with you. As for the rest of you who are waiting till you get married or engaged, that is awesome. I did not know people these days did that. I commend you. If I did not kiss some of my past girlfriends it would have made those breakups so much easier. You guys are taking the physical aspect away so you can focus on the spiritual and emotional aspect. Like I said, if I would have done this in the past I could have saved myself and girlfriend a lot of heartache. Good for you all, and do not let anyone discourage you. God must be really proud of you.

Upvote 0