Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
statism: concentration of economic controls and planning in the hands of a highly centralized government often extending to government ownership of industry

bifurcate: : to cause to divide into two branches or parts

Post-constitutional America

(for the benefit of people with my education.)

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm a Scrabble-loving word nerd so I :greenheart: this thread. :)

'Climate strike' named 2019 Word of the Year by Collins Dictionary
In a year when global protests over the climate crisis were staged from Afghanistan to Vietnam, Extinction Rebellion demonstrations stopped traffic in major cities and Greta Thunberg called for young people to skip school to fight political inaction, “climate strike” has been named Collins Dictionary’s 2019 word of the year.

Each year, the dictionary’s lexicographers monitor a 9.5bn word corpus and make a list of 10 new and notable terms. One of these is crowned the word of the year. Climate strike’s definition is “a form of protest in which people absent themselves from education or work in order to join demonstrations demanding action to counter climate change.”

The first use of the expression was registered in 2015, when a mass demonstration took place during the UN climate change conference in Paris. However, the phrase only took off in late 2018, when the young Swedish activist Thunberg’s decision to skip school on Fridays in order to protest in front of the national parliament made headlines around the world. In September 2019, an estimated six million people joined the worldwide climate strike, also known as the Global Week for Future.

• Informative
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
statism: concentration of economic controls and planning in the hands of a highly centralized government often extending to government ownership of industry

bifurcate: : to cause to divide into two branches or parts

Post-constitutional America

(for the benefit of people with my education.)
You could add the difference between "woke" and "awake". As I understand them, "woke" specifically means being aware of past injustices done to blacks, and "awake" means being aware of the elitist manipulation of the races to create division. That is, to divide is to conquer.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I play scrabble every day. The irony is that I am a wordsmith and love knowing the etymology of words, but she is a strategist and beats the pants off me every time we play. My vocabulary is larger than hers, but her math is keener than mine. So she is always aware of how many points she can rack up, while I just like placing words on the board.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I play scrabble every day. The irony is that I am a wordsmith and love knowing the etymology of words, but she is a strategist and beats the pants off me every time we play.

Now we know why you play. :D

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now we know why you play. :D
I hate to admit this, but I became such a sore loser, that she asked me to simply make words with her without scoring.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hate to admit this, but I became such a sore loser, that she asked me to simply make words with her without scoring.

Words are so very interesting. I once heard an old retired hockey player say "I used to score a lot and I even shot a few goals."

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My husband and I played Scrabble a lot. Our obnoxious BIL played with us on my super lucky day when I put seven letters down on a triple word score! The "N" was already there, so I added Q, U, E, S, T, I, O. Oh, that never happened again, but he never played with us again! I seldom won a game after that when my husband and I were the only players!

Upvote 0