Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has any one had a vision and if so how can you tell.the difference between a dream and a vision?

I have had dreams, from God. I have had visions, from God. And, I see the Kingdom of God. As this is where I live. A hidden world, within this world, but from above.

There are dreams which God gives, these stand out, and you do not forget them. It is easy to tell.

There are visions, which can be as waking dreams, of this sort. But, then there are visions which are real, yet metaphoric.

For instance, Ezekiel literally saw the Dread Living Machine, yet, it was also a vision.

I, literally saw, a man be transfigured, into 'one like a son of man'. It was on the streets, downtown. Yet, it was metaphoric. And, I have seen, touched, heard, many such things, as these. Because Angels do this, this is their way.

And, Angels are the denizens of the Kingdom. They prefer to 'show, not tell'. It is a type of 'living theater'. A way to create metaphoric frameworks, walls and roofs, instead of just planks of wood, and nails.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Has any one had a vision and if so how can you tell.the difference between a dream and a vision?
Visions are usually while you are awake.
Dreams are usually while you sleep.
However scripture also talks of night visions and of daydreams.

I hope that clears it up a little!

• Winner
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2019
Winston-Salem
✟17,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to John Paul Jackson, dreams have symbolism while the meaning of visions are straightforward. We can have night visions and day dreams. John Paul Jackson has a lot of great dream interpretation videos that are free on YouTube and more in-depth material for sale. There are also other experts like James Goll but I really enjoy the wisdom that John Paul offers.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
According to John Paul Jackson, dreams have symbolism while the meaning of visions are straightforward. We can have night visions and day dreams. John Paul Jackson has a lot of great dream interpretation videos that are free on YouTube and more in-depth material for sale. There are also other experts like James Goll but I really enjoy the wisdom that John Paul offers.
Although I respect JP Jackson, that doesn't make sense.

"Dreams have symbolism?"
Check that with Joseph's dream that was not symbolic but very straight forward.
Matt1v20But on his having pondered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, you should not be afraid to receive Mary as your wife, for that having been conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

"Visions are straight forward?"
Check that with Peter's vision which was completely symbolic and anything but straight forward.
Acts10v9Now on the next day as these are journeying and are approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10And he became hungry and desired to eat, but as they were preparing, a trance fell upon him, 11and he beholds heaven opening, and a certain vessel as a great sheet descending, being let down upon the earth by four corners, 12in which were all the quadrupeds and creeping things of the earth, and birds of heaven. 13And a voice came to him: “Having risen up, Peter, kill and eat!”

Scripture shows the Lord speaks with both symbolism and directly in both dreams and visions, therefore making rules one way or another doesn't help at all.

The same is true for other gifts, like words of knowledge or prophecy.
ie. Back in the 70s, whenever I attended a home group meeting, I always carried my bible and a dictionary. The Lord was always giving me words of knowledge that I had never heard of, or had no idea of the meaning of the word. Hence the dictionary.
Nowadays, my words of knowledge tend to be more direct.

My personal experience of both dreams and visions is that some are very straight forward, and others very symbolic. Discernment and wisdom are needed for both.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2019
Winston-Salem
✟17,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that we always need the Holy Spirit to give us discernment each time. I believe it was you that wrote that the Bible mentions night visions and day dreams. I would say that those are good examples of that. Regardless of whether we receive visions or dreams, they are given to us for the same purpose- guidance and encouragement for ourselves or others through love, as I'm sure you operate through the gift of knowledge.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Regardless of whether we receive visions or dreams, they are given to us for the same purpose- guidance and encouragement for ourselves or others through love,
Agreed. That's the whole point, guidance and encouragement for the beloved children of the Lord.

All through Jesus's ministry, he taught in parables. With the parable of the sower, he challenged them, if you can't understand the parable of the sower, how will you understand anything?
I like to view dreams and visions as a continuation of Jesus's parables!

Even reading the OT, we can see that its filled with parables of one sort or other.

It is part of our walk that we look at the surface picture of things, and then interpret it according to our spirit man, not the intellect.
If any lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men (and women) liberally and without rebuke. (James)

I remember back in the 70s. There used to be an advert for Guinness on a billboard. God spoke to me through that!

In fact the message was so strong, I led my father to the Lord using it.

Upvote 0