• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Virtualbox

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JesseBassett, Aug 7, 2021.

1. JesseBassett

JesseBassett Always a prayer warrior..... Angels Team Supporter

+1,002
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Hello all,
    Recently I discovered a free, non damaging way to try out other operating systems on my Windows 10 PC. It is called Virtualbox. I presently am trying out Linux in it and Mac OS. I am curious to see who has heard of this program and if you have good or bad experiences with it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 Pax et bonum! CF Ambassadors Supporter

+9,603
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I don't use Windows apart from at work. At home I am exclusively a Linux user.
    Not sure how Virtualbox works, but I expect it is similar to Remina and Gnome Boxes which I run on my home system.

3. elytron

elytron Active Member

+153
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I have been exploring a Linux distro called EndeavourOS. Currently have it installed in a VM using Virtualbox.

4. Freth

Freth Well-Known Member Supporter

+841
    United States
    SDA
    Single
    I use it quite frequently to try Linux distributions. It lets you try out a distro without the need of a USB drive. I've had great results with it. It's easy to use and does the job. I keep several OS's at the ready, including DOS, which has my BBS set up as a time capsule.

Once you learn how to use it, it's a great tool to have. You don't need a retro system to relive old operating systems or old software. A valuable free tool that I've had very little issue with that I couldn't fix using settings.

Happy Sabbath!

5. Wookiee

Wookiee Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

+80
    Australia
    Christian
    It's pretty nifty, I've used it on and off for ages; handy for quickly testing out things. Before I got into using Proxmox I used to use it to make and capture Windows images for deployment.

Also if you have Windows 10 Pro, it has Hyper-V built in, which is Microsoft's virtual system.

6. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+7,908
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I use it.

I'd definitely recommend it for those who want to get their feet wet with a harder distro to install and run, like Arch. It likely won't be the same as on a legit dual or multiboot, but you'll have been through it before. That, and you probably will want to consult the Arch Wiki during setup, and running it in a VM allows you to do both.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  7. JesseBassett

+1,002
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The thing I love about Virtualbox is with Windows10 I do not need to reinstall my operating system just to use a linux or Macos. Very convienent.

8. Vince53

Vince53 Junior Member

+241
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Jesse, I might have to try it.

A few years ago I went whole hog on Linux, but it couldn't play the high-end games I like. However, it surfed the web just fine.

9. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+7,908
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I will also say this: If you're going to experiment around with Linux in a virtual machine, use an LVM for your disk. You'll love the flexibility that comes with being able to dynamically resize the virtual disk. There are caveats to this, and you should probably do a VM with a normal partition first, but you want to get to LVMs, trust me.

10. Knothat

Knothat New Member

+0
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    I used such a program, I was satisfied.

11. JesseBassett

+1,002
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Democrat
    @Knothat,
    Glad to hear that. Welcome to the forums by the way!

12. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+16,060
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I use Hyper-V Manager for my VM's on my box, few development tools I need just don't run well anymore on Win 10, so I've got a few older Win Boxes for when I need to spin up stuff like VB6 / VC6 :D

13. andreha

andreha Senior Contributor

+10,776
    South Africa
    Word of Faith
    Married
    I used Virtualbox for years - very mature product. Lately I have switched to Hyper-V, which is a lot faster. One downside of Hyper V, is that there's no way it will run on Linux, where Virtualbox runs on Windows, Redhat, Ubuntu, MacOS etc.

14. Freth

Freth Well-Known Member Supporter

+841
    United States
    SDA
    Single
    I'm just about to the point now where I'm leaning toward running Linux as my primary OS and Windows 10 in a virtual environment to support the last software packages keeping me on Windows. Windows 11 doesn't look promising.

15. Knothat

Knothat New Member

+0
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    Thank you very much