Apr 4, 2007
✟15,317.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Keep them all in your thoughts and your prayers. I knew many people who attended that school, since I live in virginia. Its a difficult pill to swallow. So many young people, our age...robbed of their chance to impact this world.

Pray that God watches over them, and the families and friends they left behind.

Upvote 0

DreamboatAnnie

sleep-a-holic
Jan 16, 2007
✟15,952.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I just got an email from asking for prayer for a guy named Justin who was injured in the shootings. Praise God he wasn't killed, but he's having to undergo several surgeries to repair the damage. If you could also keep him in your prayer too.
of course! praying!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shadistarr

Nov 23, 2006
San Francisco
✟8,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey I just wanted to post a couple links that I found interestings. Well, actually a woman that I volunteer with found them...

I'm not sure how many of us young adults work with teens, or other various youth groups, but I thought these might come in handy.

This one is a letter from YouthSpecialities
http://www.youthspecialties.com/free/vashootingjhvp.pdf

and this one is a discussion on how other youth pastors and leaders are trying to be proactive in their conversations about what happened.
http://www.thesource4ym.com/archives/arc20070417.asp#TITLE1

Upvote 0

Apollonian

Anachronistic Philosopher
Dec 25, 2003
US
✟8,398.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This event disturbs me for a number of reasons...

Christianism
For those who have seen the video, this shooter seems to have an extremely bad encounter with christian culture. It brings to mind severe questions about how superficiality in church can ostrasize rather than accept people. There are a lot of powerful concept in Christianity, and the uneducated seem to wield them far more readily than those who know their caveats.

Denial About Social Issues
In a way, I am actually surprised that we have not seen more of this sort of thing. I believe it is the tip of a broad and deep iceberg. Our society is changing. If we don't understand it, then we will have blood on our hands.

Here is the sad truth...

Social Isolation
The American Sociological review released a study last year indicating that the number of people who have NO friends has doubled in the last 20 years. In addition, the average number of core friends ("confidants") has dropped by half and is mainly family members.

"Social Isolation in America"
http://www.asanet.org/galleries/default-file/June06ASRFeature.pdf

I have to wonder what it is that is causing us to become so disconnected with each other.

I have to ask what music, television, and film have done to change the subconscious view we have of the world. How many of us really have a firm grip on what is real?

More importantly, what can we do about it? Prayer is great. But will everyone return to their lives unchanged in another few weeks when the Media moves on to a different story? Is our only connection to these people through NBC? If so, do we really care for them, or are we just following the crowd in offering our prayers? If we are willing to pray for Virginia Tech, what about the people that are much closer to us that we overlook day by day? Does it take an event like this to shake people out of their complacency?

Upvote 0

Periann

Nov 21, 2003
TX
✟11,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the sad truth...

Social Isolation
The American Sociological review released a study last year indicating that the number of people who have NO friends has doubled in the last 20 years. In addition, the average number of core friends ("confidants") has dropped by half and is mainly family members.

"Social Isolation in America"
http://www.asanet.org/galleries/default-file/June06ASRFeature.pdf

I have to wonder what it is that is causing us to become so disconnected with each other.

I have to ask what music, television, and film have done to change the subconscious view we have of the world. How many of us really have a firm grip on what is real?

More importantly, what can we do about it? Prayer is great. But will everyone return to their lives unchanged in another few weeks when the Media moves on to a different story? Is our only connection to these people through NBC? If so, do we really care for them, or are we just following the crowd in offering our prayers? If we are willing to pray for Virginia Tech, what about the people that are much closer to us that we overlook day by day? Does it take an event like this to shake people out of their complacency?

Going along with this did anyone see the interview on the news with one of the guy's suitemates? His suitemate said that all the suitemates had only figured out his major when he saw the news about his suicide and killings on tv, and they all had been living with this guy since August! He said that he only figured this guy's name out bc it was taped to the door to his room on the first day (like everyone else's). It's shocking how little anyone who was around him knew about him-w/the exception of his teachers.

However his problem was obviously far more deeply rooted than social isolation. The entire tragedy is so disturbing, and honestly beyond comprehension from the bits and pieces that we can look at now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apollonian

Anachronistic Philosopher
Dec 25, 2003
US
✟8,398.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is ridiculous...

"Media backlash at Virginia Tech"
http://abcnews.go.com/US/VATech/story?id=3059025&page=1

It really makes me wonder whether our country's media, the core of information dissemination in society, has even the slightest possibility of having a conscience.

Upvote 0

kuntrygurl_26

Veteran
Feb 19, 2004
Louisiana
✟1,810.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
yea, i have been keeping all of them in my prayers. it is so very sad what this world is coming to. what is also creepy is that my friend whom is a delivery guy at pizza hut got held at gun point that same night. what put a 45 to the back of his head. Didn't shoot though thank god. they got off with 900 dollars. He graduated bible college not long ago, i working on becoming a minister.

Upvote 0

Maramixi

Happy caffine addict
Jan 17, 2007
✟8,457.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is ridiculous...

"Media backlash at Virginia Tech"
http://abcnews.go.com/US/VATech/story?id=3059025&page=1

It really makes me wonder whether our country's media, the core of information dissemination in society, has even the slightest possibility of having a conscience.
No kidding, I went to go turn the TV off the other day and they were still talking about it on the news after they'd been on it for an hour (same show, other shows taken into account it was longer). I was so sick of it I actually said out loud, "Let them rest in peace!"

We all know what happened, no need to beat it into the ground.

They need to let the survivors mourn; not rub their faces in it.

Upvote 0

Maramixi

Happy caffine addict
Jan 17, 2007
✟8,457.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
yea, i have been keeping all of them in my prayers. it is so very sad what this world is coming to. what is also creepy is that my friend whom is a delivery guy at pizza hut got held at gun point that same night. what put a 45 to the back of his head. Didn't shoot though thank god. they got off with 900 dollars. He graduated bible college not long ago, i working on becoming a minister.
Wow.

I can only imagine how nerve wracking that would have been.

*shudders*

Upvote 0

kuntrygurl_26

Veteran
Feb 19, 2004
Louisiana
✟1,810.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yea, I think maybe it was a way to open his eyes to alot of things though. He had been trying to backslide for a while now. I think maybe This will help him. it is just sad that this is what it took. He hasn't been to church in a couple months. He didn't some this moring either :( I am going to call him before church and see if he is coming though! Just pray for him

Upvote 0