Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As a young man with a mother and two older sisters (one of whom has been sexually assaulted twice) I have always been concerned about the treatment of women in society, especially when you hear about domestic violence, forced sex and forced prostitution. Whilst these things can happen to men and boys as well and statisics prove that the majority of men do not physically abuse women; there does seem to be a particular spiritual attack on women and girls. inappropriate contentography is full of vile and humiliating images of females. Pictures of sex workers make me feel angry with my own sex. (the bad ones anyway)

I know that violence against women is a big concern for many Christians. I know of churches and parachurch organisations that have set up ministries to help support abused women. (for example Mercy Ministries in Bradford and a Rape Centre in Birmingham)

But I have always wondered if there is a role that Christian men (and indeed decent men in general) can play in terms of violence provention. After all these women could be our mothers, sisters, daughters or partners. I have often found the older men in church to be deeply paterialistic and the younger men chivalrous. (i.e walking their girlfriend home) I have researched this issue and found that international there are many examples of men and boys (of all faiths and none) coming together and organising to work against violence against women. This can be by organising a protest rally against violence, working to change abusive men, anti-violence workshops in schools and fund raising for womens charities.

The largest organised effort internationally is the White Ribbon Campaign, which has a branch in the UK. Central to that organisation is that men and boys wear a white ribbon to show their opposition to violence against women. Prominant men including politicians, actors, footballers and boxers have backed this campaign and urged others to speak out against violence.

There is also a new 'craze' (if thats the right word) in North America that i would love to see come to the UK. Its called 'Walk A Mile in Her Shoes'. It is where men and boys walk a mile in womens shoes to protest rape and sexual violence. The men march together, often with anti-rape banners and sometimes in fancy dress, and shout things such as "Stop Rape NOW!" Each walker is also sponsered and the funds go to womens charities such as refugees and rape crisis centres.

There is quite a lot going on, i have even heard that Nelson Mandela was involved in such a rally in south africa involving 30,000 males!

Given that most Christian men are strongly opposed to what is termed 'gender violence' I think it would be an excellent idea to encourage Christian men to start something up in their own community with other good men and get the churches to work side by side with secular agencies. Not only would it be a great way to challenge injustice and raise money for a good cause, it would be an excellent Christian witness!

This is something that I feel has called me to do locally. Now what about you? Violence against women is afterall an issue raised in the scriptures.

Last edited:

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i am meeting some one from White Ribbon soon so that i can come under their authority. i will then gather a few interested locally people, come up with a basic plan and then approach the loca Womens Refugee and Rape Crisis Centre for support. Once i have their backing it should be easier getting other people on board.

Upvote 0