SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Video of Marion County deputy punching homeless man during arrest under review, police say
A Marion County Sheriff's deputy was caught on video repeatedly punching a man who kept yelling and wouldn't stay away while emergency responders were coordinating a search for missing people on Monday. The county sheriff's office says deputies "were left with no choice but to" arrest him.

The video, taken by KGW, shows four county deputies grab hold of Kevin Straw, 28, near the post office in Detroit, about 50 miles east of Salem. At least one deputy tells Straw he's under arrest and they take him to the ground as he yells "no." Within seconds, one of the deputies punches Straw in the head at least two dozen times as he screams for help, for the hits to stop and that he isn't resisting.

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hate to be the one to say it, but he was clearly resisting arrest because he would not let them put the cuffs on him. He said he was not resisting while he resisted. Resisting arrest never ends well for the person being arrested.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I hate to be the one to say it, but he was clearly resisting arrest because he would not let them put the cuffs on him. He said he was not resisting while he resisted. Resisting arrest never ends well for the person being arrested.
I think the problem here is the framing of this as, "If I do not punch in the back of the head, you're simply saying that he should go free and be let go." Well, that's not what's being said, I think the problem boils down to hitting a man in the head repeatedly, even if resisting arrest is unacceptable. I see it as a lack of patience, so violence is used to end a problem quickly.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, are they supposed to not arrest him if he resists arrest?
There is a missing father and son search going on and they are supposed to spend hours with him waiting for him to comply?

I watched the whole video and read the whole article.
The thing is, we have to let police take required steps to place someone under arrest.
Video like when the police killed that man who was selling cigarettes by choking him to death, that's brutality to me.

I'm just saying that even though its not pleasant to watch, other methods of arresting him could have resulting in him having more severe injuries.

Just one man's opinion, but the police get a pass on this one for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

So he deserves to be punched reputedly? for resisting?

That's ridicules.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the problem here is the framing of this as, "If I do not punch in the back of the head, you're simply saying that he should go free and be let go." Well, that's not what's being said, I think the problem boils down to hitting a man in the head repeatedly, even if resisting arrest is unacceptable. I see it as a lack of patience, so violence is used to end a problem quickly.
I agree that in some cases violence rather than patience is not the way to go. However, in this case they had already tried talking to this guy and he wouldn't listen. There was no reason to believe that talking to him in order to get him to stop resisting would have worked.
If the cop that was just standing there had helped the cop trying to restrain his left arm they could have done that without punching him. It didn't appear to me that punching him worked anyway.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I agree that in some cases violence rather than patience is not the way to go. However, in this case they had already tried talking to this guy and he wouldn't listen. There was no reason to believe that talking to him in order to get him to stop resisting would have worked.
If the cop that was just standing there had helped the cop trying to restrain his left arm they could have done that without punching him. It didn't appear to me that punching him worked anyway.
I don't have an issue with taking him down to arrest him, he was not responding to the crisis team. The only officer at fault, in my opinion, is the officer that started punching the man in the back of his head, that is completely uncalled for. That behavior is the one I was alluding to with regards to lack of patience, he's impatient so he lashes out in violence.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So he deserves to be punched reputedly? for resisting?

That's ridicules.

So the cop is supposed to sit there and wait for him to be willing to be arrested? Let's be real, the punches weren't even that hard or the guy would have been knocked out. He did rapid succession hit to startle him and make him aware that the situation was escalating.

I'm not sure what your perception is about getting arrested, but please understand that if it is their intention to arrest you they will take whatever steps are required to do that and they have the authority to legally do that. You don't have to like it, but it would be good for you to understand it.

There are plenty examples of police brutality out there I just don't think this is one of them.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
So the cop is supposed to sit there and wait for him to be willing to be arrested? Let's be real, the punches weren't even that hard or the guy would have been knocked out. He did rapid succession hit to startle him and make him aware that the situation was escalating.
Because the opposite of punching a person in the back of the head is not arresting them, that's an apt comparison...

I'm not sure what your perception is about getting arrested, but please understand that if it is their intention to arrest you they will take whatever steps are required to do that and they have the authority to legally do that. You don't have to like it, but it would be good for you to understand it.

There are plenty examples of police brutality out there I just don't think this is one of them.
Just because you are being arrest does not mean you can do whatever you want to arrest a person. That's why cities have been bleeding money due to police brutality cases. Punching a person in the back of the head is excessive force. Punching someone in the back of the head is also dangerous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because the opposite of punching a person in the back of the head is not arresting them, that's an apt comparison...

Just because you are being arrest does not mean you can do whatever you want to arrest a person. That's why cities have been bleeding money due to police brutality cases. Punching a person in the back of the head is excessive force. Punching someone in the back of the head is also dangerous.

Ok, so there are people missing and he won't stop messing with the investigation so they finally decide to arrest him. He refuses to be arrested. You tell me, what were they supposed to do?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Ok, so there are people missing and he won't stop messing with the investigation so they finally decide to arrest him. He refuses to be arrested. You tell me, what were they supposed to do?
Not punch him in the back of the head, like all the other officers were not doing.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not punch him in the back of the head, like all the other officers were not doing.

Ok, so you established what not to do, but what should they do?
Would it have been better to break his elbow or dislocate his shoulder?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Ok, so you established what not to do, but what should they do?
Would it have been better to break his elbow or dislocate his shoulder?
Do like the other officers that are not breaking, dislocating shoulders and punching people in the back of the head.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do like the other officers that are not breaking, dislocating shoulders and punching people in the back of the head.

OK, so lets say without that officers tactics they were not able to cuff him because even with his tactics they were having a hard time cuffing him, so then what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
OK, so lets say without that officers tactics they were not able to cuff him because even with his tactics they were having a hard time cuffing him, so then what?
Let's say a giant cucumber came hurling out the sky and its brine was raining down. Then what? Your attempt to alter the scenario to somehow make police brutality not police brutality is noted. Police brutality is not required to do their job, so the attempt to make it a requirement is pure sophistry.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The police are trained in how to restrain a person resisting arrest. Especially when it is obvious the person is incoherent and likely mentally unstable, physical violence will only escalate the situation when the police are supposed to be defusing it. If this had been a one to one encounter you may have a point that the officer had few options but there were several officers on the scene and, as Summer Madness pointed out, repeatedly punching a person in the head is very dangerous to the point of being life threatening.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

The steeps for punching him in the face was uncalled for period.

I can care less what your excuses for violence is but it is never good or right to hurt others even if it is for this.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The police are trained in how to restrain a person resisting arrest. Especially when it is obvious the person is incoherent and likely mentally unstable, physical violence will only escalate the situation when the police are supposed to be defusing it. If this had been a one to one encounter you may have a point that the officer had few options but there were several officers on the scene and, as Summer Madness pointed out, repeatedly punching a person in the head is very dangerous to the point of being life threatening.

So, what should police do if they cannot restrain/ cuff the person?

I know the rabbit punches look really bad, but they aren't as bad as they seem. I mean they don't tickle, but they weren't knock out punches, his head wasn't smacking off the pavement, the guy maintained the same level of coherence the whole time, he was using the meaty part of his hand and not the knuckle.

But, if you say it was a poor method, I'm open to hearing alternatives.
What are some better alternatives?

I personally get nervous with tasers because i think they can give someone a stroke.
I personally think you could easily break or dislocate an elbow or shoulder trying to just putting the cuffs on a resister without doing anything but bending the arms.

I'm really curious about alternatives though and not in a sarcastic way.
Do you know of any?

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The steeps for punching him in the face was uncalled for period.

I can care less what your excuses for violence is but it is never good or right to hurt others even if it is for this.

Ok, I can see the others being up in arms about the punching but now you are saying it is never good for police to hurt anyone for any reason?

Upvote 0