Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, It would be a very very hard temptation to beat when a person finds over $160,000 in cash and then turns it in to Police. It's a real shame their isn't more people like her in the world.

Victory Over Temptation

Read: Matthew 4:1-11

God . . . will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but . . . will also make the way of escape. —1 Corinthians 10:13

Bible In One Year: 2 Chronicles 15-16; John 12:27-50

Wanda Johnson, a single mother with five children, was on her way to the pawn shop, where she was hoping to get a loan of $60 for her TV set. Then something bizarre happened. As an armored truck filled with sacks of money drove past her, its rear door flew open, and a bag dropped out. Wanda stopped and picked up the sack. When she counted the cash, she found that it totaled $160,000.

A battle raged in her soul. That money would pay all her bills and provide for the needs of her children. But it wasn't hers to keep.

After a fierce 4-hour struggle with her moral convictions, Wanda called the police and turned in the money. Her sense of doing the right thing won a victory over the temptation to keep what wasn't hers to keep.

How strong is your ethical fiber? Will it break down if you are faced with an enticing chance to do something wrong? Adam and Eve, as well as Jesus, were attacked by Satan on three fronts: the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (1 John 2:16). Our first parents succumbed to the serpent's solicitation (Genesis 3:1-6). Jesus did not (Matthew 4:1-11).

No matter what evil is pressuring us, let's follow Jesus' example and do what's right. —Vernon Grounds

Yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin—
Each victory will help you some other to win;
Fight manfully onward, dark passions subdue,
Look ever to Jesus—He will carry you through.—Palmer

To withstand temptation, stand with Christ.

charmtrap

Iä-R’lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn
May 14, 2004
SF, CA
✟3,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
USincognito said:
To be honest, I'd be more likely to keep $1.60 that I'd found than $160,000.00.

Yep. Nobody is gonna miss $1.60, but $160,000?? No way, especially if it comes from an armored car. That money would get hunted down as soon as it was found to be missing. And if you're found with that money, you could be in a sh*tload of trouble. I don't see it so much as a nobel thing to return the money, but rather a smart thing.

Upvote 0

BlessedMan

Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
✟9,838.00
Faith
Christian
Can't we just respect her for being an honest person and not try and judge her motives?

But if you REALLY want to get into it, I bet that if you were really careful, you could quietly spend $160,000 over a decade or so without ever being caught. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could do it...I just hope I'm never faced with that temptation.

Upvote 0

amethyst_amulet1981

Jun 1, 2004
✟154.00
Faith
Pagan
BlessedMan said:
Can't we just respect her for being an honest person and not try and judge her motives?
If I had sex with a business man for money and then turned around and gave that money to a homeless mother with four kids would you respect me for being compassionate or would you judge the actions that led up to the point where I actually did something for the common good of another human being?

Upvote 0

BlessedMan

Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
✟9,838.00
Faith
Christian
amethyst_amulet1981 said:
If I had sex with a business man for money and then turned around and gave that money to a homeless mother with four kids would you respect me for being compassionate or would you judge the actions that led up to the point where I actually did something for the common good of another human being?
Hmmmmm...compassionate prostitution...an interesting thought...I wonder what percentage of an average prostitute's "earnings" are given to charity. Does anyone have the statistics????

What in the WORLD does this have to do with a lady finding money on the street and turning it in? I am so lost in your line of thinking...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was beginning to worry that this thread would go beyond 3 pages without any flaming. Thanks for no letting me down. I mean, I know how difficult it is to start an argument over a human interest story. You guys are obviously trained professionals.

BTW, Amulet, I don't want to sound condescending but you joined two weeks ago. Even if you're a sock puppet, you're still new. (relatively speaking)

Upvote 0