Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Veneration of Mary is often misunderstood by Non-Catholics as well as Catholics. And there is actually a lot to explore in this theme.

Veneration for Mary is based on the reference in the Gospel of Luke to Mary as the selected handmaid of the Lord who is greeted and praised by both Elizabeth and the angel Gabriel.

John's Gospel records her presence at the beginning and end of Jesus' public life. Particularly significant is Mary's presence at the Cross, when she received from her dying Son the charge to be mother to the beloved disciple. Catholics interpret that through the disciple, Christ is giving care of Mary to all Christians. The Acts of the Apostles expressly numbers the Mother of Jesus among the women of the first community awaiting Pentecost.

The theological development of devotion to Mary begins as early as Justin Martyr (100–165) followed up by Irenaeus( 130) "the first theologian of the Virgin Mother". Her veneration was sanctioned at the Council of Ephesus in 431. So it is a very ancient aspect of the Cristian faith.

Let's start with this distinction between dulia, latria and hyperdulia.

Dulia is veneration due so saints. Veneration is respect inspired by the dignity, wisdom, dedication, or talent of a person.

Hyperdulia is a special type of veneration due to Mary as the mother of Jesus who is the incarnate Word of God, Son of the Father.

Latria is the highest type of worship or adoration due to God alone. Adoration provides a clear and unequivocal, and therefore better, translation of latria and expression of the absolute sacrificial reverence due to God alone.

One of the most ancient prayers (3rd century):
Latin TextEnglish Translation
Sub tuum praesidium confugimus, Sancta Dei Genetrix.
Nostras deprecationes ne despicias in necessitatibus,
sed a periculis cunctis libera nos semper,
Virgo gloriosa et benedicta
We fly to thy protection, O Holy Mother of God;
Do not despise our petitions in our necessities,
but deliver us always from all dangers,
O Glorious and Blessed Virgin

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
as well as Catholics
That's the part that gets me most, I still wrestle with this six years in. It seems more than a few cultures who have a long Catholic heritage cross a line somewhere in the veneration and devotion to Our Lady, just an observation I've made being married to a Hispanic woman. Granted, she specifically doesn't have this issue but I see it with her family (there's also a syncretism issue in the family but I won't go there now).

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married