Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches took tentative steps towards healing their 950-year rift yesterday by drafting a joint document that acknowledges the primacy of the Pope.

The 46-paragraph “Ravenna Document”, written by a special commission of Catholic and Orthodox officials, envisages a reunified church in which the Pope could be the most senior patriarch among the various Orthodox churches.

Rest of article is here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2880038.ece

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
If the Orthodox were able to move closer to Rome, the Constantinople Patriarchate would have much stronger influence in its dialogue with the Muslim world in Turkey and beyond. Healing the schism would in effect turn Patriarch Bartholomew into an Orthodox “Pope”.

...NOT.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On July 16, 1054, Pope Leo IX excommunicated the Patriarch of Constantinople. The Patriarch, Cerularius, soon reciprocated, excommunicating the Pope
Doesn't say much for the scholarship behind the article, does it?!

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Doesn't say much for the scholarship behind the article, does it?!

Its a newspaper article after all. However, the fact that these talks are occuring at all, with both sides apparently showing interest, is a good sign.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches took tentative steps towards healing their 950-year rift yesterday by drafting a joint document that acknowledges the primacy of the Pope.

The 46-paragraph “Ravenna Document”, written by a special commission of Catholic and Orthodox officials, envisages a reunified church in which the Pope could be the most senior patriarch among the various Orthodox churches.

Rest of article is here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2880038.ece

Nothing is possible until and unless the Pope renounces Vatican I and the idea of Papal Infallibility. Don't hold your breath until that happens. It will be after we are all dead and gone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
IF the Lord wants reunification, He shall have reunification.

And He will do so through His Holy Spirit Who shall fill the Patriarchs with Wisdom.

I leave this in the Lord's hands... and the prayers of many.

Time to let go of what men think..or feel about this, and let the Lord's WILL be done.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
http://foru.ms/t6452965-words-of-st-chrysostom.html#post40883350

I made a thread about what St John Chrysostom wrote regarding the Pope as Primacy.
No you didn't, you made a thread about what St John Chrysostom wrote regarding Peter.

You should know by now that it is a matter of doctrine in the Orthodox Church that all bishops are Peter's successors.
Time to let go of what men think..or feel about this, and let the Lord's WILL be done
Good advice. You should take it.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You should know by now that it is a matter of doctrine in the Orthodox Church that all bishops are Peter's successors.

That may be the case, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Why would Jesus take a group twelve Apostles, who were essentially the first bishops, and select one of them to receive a special authority or honor individually, rather than all of them collectively, and then have their replacements distribute that authority or honor amongst all of them? If Jesus had meant every bishop to be a heir to Peter in the sense that you're describing, wouldn't he have just not singled out Peter in the first place and given the keys to all of the Apostles?

Upvote 0

Rowan

You are my brethren ♥
Apr 13, 2006
Allendale, MI
Visit site
✟16,998.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That may be the case, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Why would Jesus take a group twelve Apostles, who were essentially the first bishops....

The Apostles were not the first bishops.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Nothing is possible until and unless the Pope .......

With God, all things are possible. Let us all pray for unity. As Jesus said, "you must all be one as the Father and I are one". This division in the body of Christ is both sinful and painful. It also give encouragement to the enemies of Christ.

May the grace of Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
With God, all things are possible. Let us all pray for unity. As Jesus said, "you must all be one as the Father and I are one". This division in the body of Christ is both sinful and painful. It also give encouragement to the enemies of Christ.

May the grace of Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Speaking of which, today we celebrate the feast of Christ The King. Here is the prayer of the whole Church of dedication of the Human race to Christ Our King, which we say together today:

Most sweet Jesus, Redeemer of the Human race, look down upon us humbly prostrate before thy alter. We are your, and your we wish to be; but to be more perfectly united with you, behold each one of us freely consecrates himself today to you. Many indeed have never know you; many too, despising your precepts have rejected you. Have mercy on them all, most merciful Jesus and draw them all to your Sacred Heard. Be King, O Lord, not only of the faithful who have never forsaken you, but also of the prodigal children who have abandoned you; grant that they may quickly return to their father's house, lest they die of wretchedness and hunger. Be king of those who are deceived by erroneous opinions, or whom discord keeps aloof, and call them back to the harbor of Truth and unity of Faith, so that soon there may be one flock and one Shepherd. Grant, O Lord, to your Church assurance of freedom and immunity form harm; give peace and order to all nations, and make the earth resound from pole to pole with one cry: Praise to the divine heart that wrought our salvation ; to it be glory and honor for ever. Amen.

Upvote 0

Rowan

You are my brethren ♥
Apr 13, 2006
Allendale, MI
Visit site
✟16,998.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Actually, they were. Check the records of any of the Churches that existed at the time.

I thought Bishops were successors to the Apostles, and that the offices were distinct.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
With God, all things are possible.

...and we all know that.

Therefore, you may take my words to mean the following: Nothing is possible until and unless God moves the Roman Catholic Church to renounce Vatican I and the doctrine of Papal Infallibility.

Upvote 0