Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is it wrong or immoral to watch shows like True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, etc or read the books?

Thanks in advanced
I'm not generally one to say adults shouldn't watch something, but I think anytime we watch something that might feature creatures that are typically thought of as evil and the story in question represents them as good, misunderstood, or even just antiheroes, we should ask "why?" Why do I see them this way? Why would the storytellers want me to think of vampires or demons or Satan himself (thinking of the show Lucifer) as relatable or likable or worth "rooting for"?

I think if at the very least we keep an orthodox understanding that these creatures are always evil and should never be thought of differently, then whatever we might watch with them in it we can just mentally tell ourselves "well they got that wrong!"

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I've read and/or seen many of the vampire stories. Same with Lord of the Rings, and even Harry Potter, which is nothing but making witchcraft look fun. My life at the time was sinful as well. I stay away from anything that depicts sin and magic. I know in some of them dragons and dark forces are portrayed as evil, but then the "good" characters end up using magic to defeat them. Example: Gandalf the wizard -
Isaiah 8:19-20,
"And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."

Leviticus 20:26-27,
"And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the Lord am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.
A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them."

Ok, we don't stone wizards and witches today (Though I've known a few who GET stoned!), but sorcery and witchcraft is condemned also in the New Testament, both the use of magic, and the use of drugs (Phamakeia)

Plus, is anyone aware that people made a PAGAN RELIGION out of Lord of the Rings? There was even a book written on it in the Netherlands.

"Besides Jediism and the other fiction based religious movements mentioned above, a milieu of Tolkien spirituality and an overlapping movement of Tolkien inspired self identified Elves exist as well.
Lord of the Rings and J.R.R. Tolkien’s other fantasy writings about Middle‐earth are widely read in Pagan circles and noted that these works have inspired contemporary Pagans on a spiritual level, partly due to the Celtic and other pagan sources that Tolkien drew on. Some have even argued that Tolkien was as important for the formation of the modern Pagan movement as Gerald Gardner, the founder of Wicca.
"
- The Spiritual Tolkien Milieu A Study of Fiction‐based Religion, by Markus Altena Davidsen 2014

True believers in Christ shouldn't dabble. And who knows what subliminal satanic stuff is in those movies? There's definitely subliminal in rock music that is strait satanic.

for

the

formation

of

the

mod

ern

Pagan

movement

as

Gerald

Gardner,