Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Those who believes we should put our intellect on a shelf at the door of the church are not allowed to quote the Bible in English. Bible translations are from people's intellect, mind.

Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those who believes we should put our intellect on a shelf at the door of the church are not allowed to quote the Bible in English. Bible translations are from people's intellect, mind.

Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.
This OP is funny. CF is a haven for intellectual Christianity, but has a dearth of spiritual Christianity.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Love it! I am a very intellectual person. It's the way that God made me.

• Winner
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why separate the two?
They are not to be separated, that is my point. The vast majority of threads on this forum are intellectual, not spiritual. There are a few people who respond by the Spirit, but most argue from the pride of their hearts not realizing that knowledge puffs up.

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Yes and no. The intellect is meant to serve the spirit. We should be getting revelation from God on what the Bible means. The mind is intended to express what it revealed in the spirit. One of the great problems of the church is how the Bible is (mis)interpreted. God is not the author of confusion. The Word of God tells us not to rely on on our own understanding. Highly intelligent and educated men can have entirely different understandings of the Word. How do we know who is right? We must rely on the Spirit of wisdom and revelation.

John 16:12-15 "I still have much to tell you, but you cannot yet bear to hear it. However, when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak what He hears, and He will declare to you what is to come. He will glorify Me by taking from what is Mine and disclosing it to you. Everything that belongs to the Father is Mine. That is why I said that the Spirit will take from what is Mine and disclose it to you."

• Winner
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They are not to be separated, that is my point. The vast majority of threads on this forum are intellectual, not spiritual. There are a few people who respond by the Spirit, but most argue from the pride of their hearts not realizing that knowledge puffs up.

1 Corinthians 8 J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
A practical problem: shall we be guided by superior knowledge or love?

8 1a Now to deal with the matter of meat which has been sacrificed to idols.

1b-3 It is not easy to think that we “know” over problems like this, but we should remember that while knowledge may make a man look big, it is only love that can make him grow to his full stature. For whatever a man may know, he still has a lot to learn, but if he loves God, he is opening his whole life to the Spirit of God.

4-13 In this matter, then, of eating meat which has been offered to idols, knowledge tells us that no idol has any real existence, and that there is no God but one. For though there are so-called gods both in heaven and earth, gods and lords galore in fact, to us there is only one God, the Father, from whom everything comes, and for who we live. And there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom everything exists, and by whom we ourselves are alive. But this knowledge of ours is not shared by all men. For some, who until now have been used to idols, eat the meat as meat really sacrificed to a god, and their delicate conscience is thereby injured. Now our acceptance of God is not a matter of meat. If we eat it, that does not make us better men, nor are we the worse if we do not eat it. You must be careful that your freedom to eat meat does not in any way hinder anyone whose faith is not as robust as yours. For suppose you with your knowledge of God should be observed eating meat in an idol’s temple, are you not encouraging the man with a delicate conscience to do the same? Surely you would not want your superior knowledge to bring spiritual disaster to a weaker brother for whom Christ died? And when you sin like this and damage the weak consciences of your brethren you really sin against Christ. This makes me determined that, if there is any possibility of meat injuring my brother, I will have none of it as long as I live, for fear I might do him harm.

The context tells us that it is a specific knowledge about idols and worshiping false gods as real. Not, about using our minds in general.

"
Right before the phrase "knowledge puffs up," the Apostle Paul wrote, "Now about food sacrificed to idols.” Some Christians knew that idols weren't real, whereas others didn't know that and believed eating food sacrificed to idols made it ceremonially unclean. In context, Paul was exhorting the believers who had greater knowledge to show love to those with the weaker conscience and to refrain from eating food offered to idols in front of them so they wouldn't stumble. His point was that knowledge should be exercised in love, to build up other believers and not our own arrogance.

Just as we should consider verses in their contexts, our theology needs to be based on the whole of Scripture. Here are a few of the many places where Scripture speaks positively of knowledge:

Fools hate knowledge. (Proverbs 1:22)

A wise man will hear and increase in learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel. (Proverbs 1:5)

Hosea chapter 4 says God's people perish for lack of knowledge regarding the law. 2 Peter 2:1 tells us to add to our faith goodness, and to goodness, knowledge. In Philippians 1:9, Paul prayed "that your love will keep on growing in knowledge and every kind of discernment."

Paul even praises knowledge as a part of spiritual warfare in 2 Corinthians 10:5 by saying, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God." Proverbs 15:4 says the "discerning heart acquires knowledge," and Proverbs 1:29 warns of the destruction that follows a hatred of knowledge.

Over and over in Scripture we are commanded to seek out knowledge, and over and over we are warned of the consequences if we don't. In fact, when Jesus commanded us to "love the Lord your God with all your mind," He was saying we must love God with all of our intellectual capacity."The Bible Says, "Knowledge Puffs Up." Does This Mean We Shouldn't Study Too Much?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A practical problem: shall we be guided by superior knowledge or love?

Love. Not human love, but God's love.

Ecc 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Spirituality is sensitivity to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Knowledge is fuel, but God's love is the engine.

My comment referred to the endless debates on this forum that are contests of who knows more Greek, or what the Church Fathers wrote, or a multitude of of the ways to show off knowledge.

When I look at long comments pontificating a point, I scan without reading because it often is a heavy handed hammering of the point to "win" an argument.

I lose interest in this site daily.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I look at long comments pontificating a point, I scan without reading because it often is a heavy handed hammering of the point to "win" an argument.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

• Winner
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Love. Not human love, but God's love.

Ecc 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Spirituality is sensitivity to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Knowledge is fuel, but God's love is the engine.

My comment referred to the endless debates on this forum that are contests of who knows more Greek, or what the Church Fathers wrote, or a multitude of of the ways to show off knowledge.

It is posted for edification. I have discussions not arguments.
If you honestly read it rather than ...whatever. You would have seen,
His point was that knowledge should be exercised in love, to build up other believers and not our own arrogance.

Since you appears to be an anti-intellectual you are not allowed to quote the Bible in English because it took intellectuals to translate it.

I am amazed that that text is always misquoted out of context.

Ecclesiastes 12:8-14 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
8 Everything is so meaningless. The Teacher says that it is all a waste of time!

9 The Teacher was very wise. He used his wisdom to teach the people. He very carefully studied and arranged many wise teachings. 10 The Teacher tried very hard to find the right words, and he wrote the teachings that are true and dependable.

11 Words from the wise are like sharp goads. When these sayings are written down and saved, they can be used to guide people, just as a shepherd uses a sharp stick to make his sheep go the right way. 12 So, son, study these sayings, but be careful about other teachings. People are always writing books, and too much study will make you very tired.

13-14 Now, what should we learn from everything that is written in this book? The most important thing a person can do is to respect God and obey his commands, because he knows about everything people do—even the secret things. He knows about all the good and all the bad, and he will judge people for everything they do.

This text encourages one to use their mind and avoid teachings of false teachers.
Since, everything is a waste of time, why bother doing anything? at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes, lose-lose, lost from the start. Often (by far most often) not even meant to "win" anything - just to obfuscate

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
28dc3cfb5f3463abbae6ab34ba910d25.gif
Hope+i+didnt+obfuscate+the+punchline+httpbigfootjusticecomcomicobfuscation_3bc13b_6956196.jpg

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since you appears to be an anti-intellectual you are not allowed to quote the Bible in English because it took intellectuals to translate it.
You have no idea what kind of research I have done, nor my attitude towards our minds. As has been said by others, our minds are to be servants to our spirits.

What I dislike about people like you is that you assume the worst in others because you are in argument mode instead of communication mode to understand others.

Post Script
I want to be clear, not combative. What I mean is that arguments usually create an either/or boundary that excludes alternative possibilities. That precludes honest discussion, and that is what I dislike in some threads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As long as the intellect is fenced in by the Word of God!

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Romans 8:
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Proverbs 3:5-6 [Full Chapter]
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Romans 12 King James Version (KJV)
12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

If our intellects lead us to a conclusion that is contrary to the word of God or the principles laid down in the NT- we must resist it and cast it down!

2 Corinthians 10:5
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can not separate the Word from the Spirit since they are one. However, by natural reasoning we misinterpret the Spirit of the Word and place human understanding on the Word that is wrong.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can not separate the Word from the Spirit since they are one. However, by natural reasoning we misinterpret the Spirit of the Word and place human understanding on the Word that is wrong.

Yes they are known as Christian mysticism, and allegorical interpretations of scripture or trying to marry the word of God with secular or non Christian thought!

The bible only becomes a hard book when we do not wish to accept it as written.

God created the rules of grammar and the bible is not grammatically inconsistent.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Romans 8:
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Proverbs 3:5-6 [Full Chapter]
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Romans 12 King James Version (KJV)
12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

If our intellects lead us to a conclusion that is contrary to the word of God or the principles laid down in the NT- we must resist it and cast it down!

2 Corinthians 10:5
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

In your quotes, you failed to distinguish between the different kinds of knowledge, wisdom, understanding, etc.,

Since, you are an anti-intellectual you are not allowed to quote the Bible in English because it was translated by intellectuals, who used knowledge of the world to do so.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 Timothy 4:13When I was in Troas, I left my coat there with Carpus. So when you come, bring it to me. Also, bring my books. The books written on parchment are the ones I need.

If Paul was not an intellectual, we would not have his letters.

Upvote 0