Using a tablet as a Bible in Church

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I belong to a very large church. So far I have not witnessed anyone using a tablet (computer) as a Bible. Is the Bible to sacred to be substituted by a tablet? In my opinion, there are a lot of advantages. Several translations can be selected; I can make notes and store them; I can change the font size; I can stop carrying my 6 pound Bible around and replace it with a 2 pound tablet.

Another factor that plays into this decision is my age. I am considered a senior citizen and many may look down on someone of my age being more technologically advanced than our teen-agers (at least in area of electronic Bibles).

I believe that tablets are the wave of the future. Before long even school text books will be available on tablets. Why not tablets in church?

Ken :holy:

I have had an electronic Bible, whether on a pda, a blackberry or Ipod or Ipad now for 10 years. I much prefer it over a big bible as it is portable. Plus, the pastor never gives us enough time to look up verses. It is much quicker on looking up verses. Additionally, I have a whole library of resources at my fingertips, including commentaries, dictionaries, etc. Finally, I can do quick searches on words if there is a verse I am thinking of but don't know the location.

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I belong to a very large church. So far I have not witnessed anyone using a tablet (computer) as a Bible. Is the Bible to sacred to be substituted by a tablet? In my opinion, there are a lot of advantages. Several translations can be selected; I can make notes and store them; I can change the font size; I can stop carrying my 6 pound Bible around and replace it with a 2 pound tablet.

Another factor that plays into this decision is my age. I am considered a senior citizen and many may look down on someone of my age being more technologically advanced than our teen-agers (at least in area of electronic Bibles).

I believe that tablets are the wave of the future. Before long even school text books will be available on tablets. Why not tablets in church?

Ken :holy:

The folks that print Bible's won't like it. I wouldn't be surprised if they start something about using only paper Bibles.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, if you take into consideration just those in this thread then it's automatically less than 100. I bet this ebible concept will be a profitable investment?

Something about a bible needing batteries and the fragile nature of electronics that hasn't quite sold me on Holy Kindle edition^_^

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

The only real objection that I have to electronic Bibles is that most of the time, they are not only Bibles. When I use the Logos app on my cell phone, for example, I am only a brief distraction away from playing Angry Birds or some other diversion during the pastor's message. I know that I tend to be a bit ADD sometimes and electronics sometimes make me more prone to that. I have also noticed that this seems to be a pretty common issue with the younger generation as well. And, for this reason, I tend to encourage people to be cautious about using their electronic devices as Bibles in church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have the bible both in print, and on my kindle. to be honest with you, I don't know if i could ever go back to print now that i've tried the kindle, its so much better. of course, its more challanging to find a verse on the kindle...but thats not how i read the bible, for that i use biblegateway.com. (excellent site!)

truth be told though, my mother has refused to switch to kindle becuase she saw something on the internet about how some lady put her childs footprint in a book and it became worth more then just a book. quiet frankly i found the whole thing to be utterly rediculas and i promptly went to my room and read my kindle later that night, and left my mother to her archaic dying books.

Upvote 0

franjunk

Apr 13, 2011
UK
✟7,630.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I personally prefer using my paper Bible in church, but often use You Version on my phone (like right now!) at home. My husband has been using a Kindle for months, and my pastor often reads sermons from his iPad! Use whatever you are comfortable with and if someone questions it ask them to back it up with scripture!

Fran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What will pastors do if tablets become a trend? Will they preach against these "devilish devices" and tell their congregation to stick with the tried and true paper KJV?

Personally, I like having all my Bible resources in one place whether it be a home or church. I'm thinking about putting my tablet in a case, then It will look more like a Bible.

Ken

We had a speaker come to our youth event one time. He used his iPad to give his message. Of course, those people you speak of are free to use the paper KJV. They just need to realize there's nothing wrong with the e-version for a quick reference (in church). The paper version as many have said, is way better for in-depth study and devotionals.

Upvote 0