Use of the term "hater"

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was looking at a few threads about the Jan 6 hearings and I was struck by the frequent accusation of others being "Trump hater" or "Biden hater" etc.

I think this is a serious accusation to make, especially of a fellow Christian and one should not casually copy the general usage of this term without thinking ("Do not be conformed to the world"}.

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.

So a gentle request to think before leaping to use the term "hater", especially when using it to describe a fellow Christian.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I try to avoid that word because hate, or absolute hate is only available from/of Satan...
The words detest or strongly dislike could be supplemented....I will use that in a sentence.

I do not detest Biden, I strongly dislike, with ever fiber of my being, 99.9% of the things he has done.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I try to avoid that word because hate, or absolute hate is only available from/of Satan...
The words detest or strongly dislike could be supplemented....I will use that in a sentence.

I do not detest Biden, I strongly dislike, with ever fiber of my being, 99.9% of the things he has done.

Pretty sure that's the dictionary definition of detest. I particularly like the way you couldn't even bring yourself to stop at "strongly dislike", but added in "with every fibre of your being".

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very good points. The words "hate" and "hater" are used by many against anyone who might disagree with their opinion. Most of the time it has nothing to do with hate. Most of the time it is just a difference of opinion, and those playing the "hater" card have no means to justify their position.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So a gentle request to think before leaping to use the term "hater", especially when using it to describe a fellow Christian.
Hatred in the biblical context means to dislike someone to the degree that you wish them dead.

To be "a hater" in the common spoken context just means to be someone who is consistently contrary to the person being "hated."

I recall when this word usage pattern came out, some guy said stop drinking the haterade, that was hilarious.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Another point is hate is one syllable, the technically correct terms are too many syllables. So, when people are just talking causally ... dislike or detest, and use of the word strongly probably wont catch on.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I was looking at a few threads about the Jan 6 hearings and I was struck by the frequent accusation of others being "Trump hater" or "Biden hater" etc.

I think this is a serious accusation to make, especially of a fellow Christian and one should not casually copy the general usage of this term without thinking ("Do not be conformed to the world"}.

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.

It is used as an easy way to dismiss another viewpoint without addressing their actual arguments. Simply label it as "Hatred" as if that somehow makes their points invalid.

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hatred in the biblical context means to dislike someone to the degree that you wish them dead.

To be "a hater" in the common spoken context just means to be someone who is consistently contrary to the person being "hated."

I recall when this word usage pattern came out, some guy said stop drinking the haterade, that was hilarious.

"consistently contrary" - maybe the word "critic" could be used?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
"consistently contrary" - maybe the word "critic" could be used?
Critic possibly, but critics have standards, and sometimes are not always consistently contrary to the same people on the basis of those standards.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think the word "hater" has been used in such a way that the littoral "hate" has been watered down. I believe the way it's used it means dislike off hand.

For example, if a person disagrees with anything Joe Biden or Trump says right away without investigating their claim/statement, they would be called a hater. Because one rejects anything a person says right away whether it's true or not they would be considered a "hater" because they are working to discredit someone whether they are credible or not. It's a term used in hip-hop for people who talk about someone else because they are jealous.

There is a good definition of "hater" in the urban dictionary:

A person that simply cannot be happy for another person's success. So rather than be happy they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person.

Hating, the result of being a hater, is not exactly jealousy. The hater doesnt really want to be the person he or she hates, rather the hater wants to knock somelse down a notch.
Susan: You know, Kevin from accounting is doing very well. He just bought a house in a very nice part of town.

Jane (hater): If he is doing so well why does he drive that '89 Taurus?

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0