Indy
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
I've been in a relationship for almost three years now. I got saved early September of last year, however, my boyfriend is not. He told me he wanted to get saved yet..he's only given me excuses. He's the type of guy who only runs to church when something bad happens(he is a believer) He said he wanted to start reading the Bible for himself and to break his bad "habits" first (He said listening to secular music, cursing, lust). He has put forth zero effort to even break these habits. I pray for him and have tried to help but I don't want to waste my 20s (I'm 21) waiting on him to make up his mind. I also know that I can't save him. I don't want to have to drag someone to church every Sunday or beg someone to seek God with me and dig into His Word daily. I don't want to stick around just to hopefully be an influence on him one day because if he never does, then I would have wasted precious time. Can someone please lend me advice on the situation?
Thanks!

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion, you have "sized up" the situation correctly. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to leave you with any easy way forward. However, I also notice that you didn't include any "but I love him" statements that usually accompany inquiries like this one, so if the relationship has been good but you haven't been counting on marrying this man, moving on with your life might be easier than I thought at first.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if/when the time comes of taking your relationship farther, then you may have to let him go. It will save you alot of pain in the future. Until then you can pray and try to influence him to get saved, but its all you can do really. At some point you have to let go and let God handle it.

Though I will say some bad habits like listening to secular music or cursing are not easy to break. For some they can do it overnight. For others they may never fully break it, even if they show a ton of improvement. People often forget that becoming saved doesn't mean you are free from messing up. Though the real question I'd ask is does he feel guilt when he curses? If he doesn't then theres nothing going on in his heart. I feel guilt anytime I screw up. Even before hand (this I won't always do something bad).

Upvote 0

stormie_renee

Jan 17, 2018
Indy
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion, you have "sized up" the situation correctly. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to leave you with any easy way forward. However, I also notice that you didn't include any "but I love him" statements that usually accompany inquiries like this one, so if the relationship has been good but you haven't been counting on marrying this man, moving on with your life might be easier than I thought at first.
Well, yes..I do love him. I'm IN love with him. However, if our relationship is not of God's will then moving on would be my next step.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, yes..I do love him. I'm IN love with him. However, if our relationship is not of God's will then moving on would be my next step.
Very well. I do agree that because your faith is as important to you as it is, the prospects for a happy future with him don't look good. I thought for a moment there that you had a boyfriend relationship but that it had not become as serious as you now say that it is. If that had been the case, your decision would have been easier to make. That doesn't mean that because you DO love him, however, all will work out in the end. They say that love conquers all, but it's clearly not enough to make some marriages succeed.

Upvote 0

stormie_renee

Jan 17, 2018
Indy
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Well if/when the time comes of taking your relationship farther, then you may have to let him go. It will save you alot of pain in the future. Until then you can pray and try to influence him to get saved, but its all you can do really. At some point you have to let go and let God handle it.

Though I will say some bad habits like listening to secular music or cursing are not easy to break. For some they can do it overnight. For others they may never fully break it, even if they show a ton of improvement. People often forget that becoming saved doesn't mean you are free from messing up. Though the real question I'd ask is does he feel guilt when he curses? If he doesn't then theres nothing going on in his heart. I feel guilt anytime I screw up. Even before hand (this I won't always do something bad).
I agree! I'm not perfect in any way and I would be a liar if I said I haven't messed up. It's different, though, if it's willful sin. I think he's just stubborn and stuck in his ways, which I can understand. It can be hard to break away from our worldly habits and desires.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He didn't pick easy habits to break. As to "secular music," that's a wide range. Maybe it would be better to focus on not listening to songs that he knows are bad, he may need to put entire bands on the shelf, depending on what makes up the majority of their content.

Upvote 0

stormie_renee

Jan 17, 2018
Indy
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
He didn't pick easy habits to break. As to "secular music," that's a wide range. Maybe it would be better to focus on not listening to songs that he knows are bad, he may need to put entire bands on the shelf, depending on what makes up the majority of their content.
He typically listens to music that idolizes violence, sex, and drugs. Generally, songs that don't have a good message. I've been trying to help him listen to songs that have a more positive message or meaning.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I would not hurry into anything more (like engagement or marriage) with him at present. But I wouldn't break up with him either. You can't save him, only Jesus can do that. It sounds like he is sympathetic to the gospel and believes it in his mind, but not yet prepared to make a heart commitment to you. But think about this. You may be the only person in his life who is praying for him. If he is close to the kingdom of God, you don't want to cut that little cord and allow him to drift away from Christ.

Also, I wonder if you are regularly reminding him that he needs to make a commitment to Christ? The fact that he is making excuses causes me to think that you are doing a bit of preaching to him at times, and he is making excuses or saying that he will do it to stop the preaching. I wonder what would happen if you stopped the preaching and reminding, and just allowed him to have his own space, and just concentrated on your relationship, spend time enjoying each others company outside of church. There's nothing to stop you going to church without him, then you can just relax and enjoy your faith and growth in grace.

If your testimony and life shows that you love Jesus, and that love flows out of you (without the preaching or lectures) for him just as he is, he is more likely to be convinced to make a firm commitment much more than any words or Scripture quotes you can throw at him. Making becoming a Christian a requirement for the continuance of the relationship would be a real turn off for him, because he would feel threatened by that, and he might feel that you don't love him for the person who he is right now.

If you cannot accept him as the man he is right now, you might as well break it off right now and get out there and find the "right" man for you. But you might have to accept the circumstances that he might end up lost to Christ, when he could have been saved if you were to exercise a little more patience with him.

I got married to a Catholic educated wife who doesn't come to church with me, and she is not very interested in theological conversations. She believes that she is a Christian and has no objection to being involved in the social side of the church. I never preach at her, because I accept her as she is and we have been happily married for 26 years. She has never stopped me ministering for the Lord, and I am the senior elder in my church plus the treasurer, and I preach on a regular basis. I have bookcases full of Christian books and she is right beside me while I am on this forum. She knows what my faith is all about and respects it, but it is not her cup of tea. I was married before to the most "spiritual" person in the church and after 8 years she deserted me because she saw me as an uncultured "Philistine" and didn't see a future in our marriage. Such much for being yoked together with a believer! But my present wife of 26 years is happily married to me and we enjoy each other's company. Having said that, in the times she has attended my church when I have been preaching, I made sure that I preached the gospel with clarity and passion, hoping that some of God's Word would get through her shell-like ears!

If he really loves you, he will not have any issues with your Christian faith because he will see that as an integral part of your life. If he wants to share his life with you, then he will have to share you with Jesus whom you will put before him. Jesus comes first in my life, then my wife and daughter, then my employment, and only then the church. My wife and daughter know that and respect my faith. I can talk about my faith with them (without lecturing, nagging, or preaching) and they happily acknowledge that this is the way I am, but it doesn't stop them being happy with me and I with them.

My 26 year old daughter accepted Christ when she was around 10 years old in the Sunday school I ran at church at that time. She hasn't gone on to live a completely holy life and she has a non-Christian fiance. But we can have Christian conversations, and she respects my faith. Her fiance is a very good natured man who is totally devoted to her and treats her like a princess. But he doesn't know that his prospective father-in-law has a God whose eye is upon him and His ears are open to his prayers. He doesn't know what he is coming into when he becomes part of my family! I believe that my prayers for them are much more powerful than anything I could say to them about the Christian faith and the need to receive Christ.

I hope this is helpful. I know that others will have a slightly different opinion, and that is okay too, but I think at 70 years of age, I have some experience and wisdom behind what I am saying.

• Agree
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to have to drag someone to church every Sunday

Are you involved every sinday with your church?
Is there a great young peoples group there?
Does your social life revolve around your church friends?

People do not become Christian without exposurure to Christianity so drag him along to church, start appling Christian morality to your relationship.
Either he will go along with you or he will walk away.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It does appear that the boyfriend has had many chances to move in the direction she hopes for. To think now that there's still a good chance he will...well, that seems like a longshot.

How much time and urging is it reasonable for stormie_renee to commit to before deciding it isn't going to happen? We cannot advise her to wait forever on something that, every day, probably looks less and less likely?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pgtips2

Apr 7, 2018
LONDON
✟15,303.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You must end the relationship. God's Word is clear. I have been there. It is hard but you must honour God. You can't save him, give him a clear gospel presentation and then move on. You can't still be close to him it will only lead to compromise. It isn't appropiate for believers to be intimate with nkn-believing members of the opposite sex.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2 Corinthians 6:14‭-‬17 KJV
https://bible.com/bible/1/2co.6.14-17.KJV

Upvote 0