Unpardonable sin

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, I believe I've commited the unpardonable sin, or at least that it is impossible for me to be "renewed unto repentance".

I won't go to much into detail but years ago I believe that God shone His light into my life in a way that was unmistakable, he showed me my sin, and he showed my a just a glimpse of his love. Afterwards I had a knowledge of sin that I never had before. In my heart I kept just saying no to Him and said I wanted to continue on in the same sinful ways that I had been living in. I even remember a time when I was having a whole lot of fun living an extremely sinful life ( while somewhere in my conscience, I knew it was wrong) and thinking to myself " even if hell is real, it can't be to bad, I can handle it, after all, all my friends are going there." and even worse at a point later when I was selling drugs I knew that I was basically doing work for the devil by keeping people deceived by the drugs I was selling. This continued for a few years, all the while trying to convince myself that I was just paranoid and that the Bible wasn't true. At one point later on, after reading a little bit from the bible and trying to find things I didn't agree with, I would talk to people about how untrue the Bible is.

Eventually I came to a point where I admitted to myself that it was true, and that Jesus Christ was the only way to be saved from hell. I started reading the bible and seeking God in prayer, attending church, fasting, etc. About 4 months into this I was reading A Pilgrim's Progress and came across the story of the man in the iron cage. It drew my attention to Hebrews 6:4-6
It was the first time I ever became conscious of how grave of a sin mine was in shunning that light that had been given me and I became aware of the consequences of "sinning against light"
Since then it's been almost a year, and I've had many days spent in agony over whether or not I'm beyond forgiveness, sometimes having hope for a short while, but I always fall back into this state.

I believe I have committed a sin like the one Judas committed, and that the fruit of his and mine are the same, deep pain of guilt and remorse, but unable to approach God and find forgiveness. I also see that at times when people have talked with me about Jesus in public I almost want them to not talk about him, and now I see my sin as the Pharisees that told Jesus to silence the worship upon his entry into Jerusalem. It seems like I can even match up my condition with every detestable infamous character in the bible that gave up eternal riches for earthly riches.

Do you think I'm beyond forgiveness? I have been spending the last few days in complete agony and impending doom hangs over my head whenever I'm not distracted by work or something worldly.

If you think I have committed this sin please tell me and don't leave me wondering.

31gH9N.9, I think your story is more akin to that of the Prodigal Son than anything else. The real problem here, I think, is that you're letting your emotions rule you and dissuade you rather than focusing on the grace and mercy God promises to give us if we indeed repent of our sinful views and lifestyle.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
O how I'd love to believe that. But I keep reading passages in the new testament that make me think other wise

Luke 23:34- Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

1 Timothy 1:13- Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

Hebrews 10:26- For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

I've talked to the two different pastors I've had over the past year, and many a few mentors, and they all say that If I was past forgiveness, I wouldn't care. But I read about Judas and Esau, who most definitely cared about what they'd done, but did not find peace with God afterwards.

I've had times when my heart has ached for want of Christ, but I have not yet ever found peace with God. Today while I was i sorrow about what I'd done, I'd find myself thinking " You've sinned against the only one who could save you, and such a grievous sin indeed! It is a sin of betrayal, and it has set your heart against Him permanently"

I'm under the impression that if there is hope for me, I will only find it in his Word, but it's hard to read sometimes because this guilt lashes out at me and makes me give up all hope.

I've struggled as well with the verses you quoted, especially the one in Hebrews. But do you know the parable of the Prodigal Son that Jesus told about? The son knew what he was doing, and he decided he wanted to leave anyway because he thought his own way was better. Now remember, this boy was already the man's son. That's different from someone who was never his son in the first place. At the end, the Father was right there with open arms ready to receive the son back again.

Another example is when Jesus told Peter that he should forgive someone "70 times 7 times". That's an indication that he's very much into forgiveness. If he expects Peter (and us) to do that, I'm pretty sure Jesus Himself would as well.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, I believe I've commited the unpardonable sin, or at least that it is impossible for me to be "renewed unto repentance".

I won't go to much into detail but years ago I believe that God shone His light into my life in a way that was unmistakable, he showed me my sin, and he showed my a just a glimpse of his love. Afterwards I had a knowledge of sin that I never had before. In my heart I kept just saying no to Him and said I wanted to continue on in the same sinful ways that I had been living in. I even remember a time when I was having a whole lot of fun living an extremely sinful life ( while somewhere in my conscience, I knew it was wrong) and thinking to myself " even if hell is real, it can't be to bad, I can handle it, after all, all my friends are going there." and even worse at a point later when I was selling drugs I knew that I was basically doing work for the devil by keeping people deceived by the drugs I was selling. This continued for a few years, all the while trying to convince myself that I was just paranoid and that the Bible wasn't true. At one point later on, after reading a little bit from the bible and trying to find things I didn't agree with, I would talk to people about how untrue the Bible is.

Eventually I came to a point where I admitted to myself that it was true, and that Jesus Christ was the only way to be saved from hell. I started reading the bible and seeking God in prayer, attending church, fasting, etc. About 4 months into this I was reading A Pilgrim's Progress and came across the story of the man in the iron cage. It drew my attention to Hebrews 6:4-6
It was the first time I ever became conscious of how grave of a sin mine was in shunning that light that had been given me and I became aware of the consequences of "sinning against light"
Since then it's been almost a year, and I've had many days spent in agony over whether or not I'm beyond forgiveness, sometimes having hope for a short while, but I always fall back into this state.

I believe I have committed a sin like the one Judas committed, and that the fruit of his and mine are the same, deep pain of guilt and remorse, but unable to approach God and find forgiveness. I also see that at times when people have talked with me about Jesus in public I almost want them to not talk about him, and now I see my sin as the Pharisees that told Jesus to silence the worship upon his entry into Jerusalem. It seems like I can even match up my condition with every detestable infamous character in the bible that gave up eternal riches for earthly riches.

Do you think I'm beyond forgiveness? I have been spending the last few days in complete agony and impending doom hangs over my head whenever I'm not distracted by work or something worldly.

If you think I have committed this sin please tell me and don't leave me wondering.

The only unpardonable Sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit
and full rejection of it from your heart.

If you "in the future" welcome the Holy Spirit, God knows that already.
So the "unpardonable" window is very small.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel that I have trampled the blood of Christ, and I cannot say with Paul "but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief"

Others have given you answers and I agree with them. If you had committed this sin, you would not even care. The fact that you care means that the holy spirit is speaking to you.

Do you think you are worse than King Solomon? King Solomon in his earlier says was an upright man, but after becoming king he eventually lost sight and spent the majority of his reign in disobedience to God but at the end he turned around.

Are you worse than David? David lusted after another man's wife, had sex with her, got her pregnant, brought her husband home hoping that he would sleep with her and then everyone would say the child was her husband. When he refused to go home to be with his wife David had him send to the frontlines of the battle so that he would be killed. Then David married his widow. After all this, God forgave David. Are you as bad as David?

And by the way, both David and Solomon knew that what they were doing was wrong. Are you worse than those guys? I am sure you are not. But look what God did in their lives, how much more can he do for you!! Accept his forgiveness and move forward in Jesus name.

Upvote 0

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I spent five years of my life in horrible fear that I had committed the unpardonable sin. I dropped out of college because of it. The thing that helped me begin to climb out of that psycho-hell was keeping John 6:37 in my mind, "him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

I read this years ago and it helped me a lot. R.A. Torrey - THE DEVIL HAS ENTERED ME!

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The unpardonable sin deals with the Holy Spirit! ( matthew 12:31-32 , Mark 3:28-30 , Luke 12:8-10 )
It just seems like you need to repent and rededicate your life and you should be fine.

Upvote 0

Julien

May 13, 2018
Bourgogne franche comté
✟20,383.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi I am 29 years old and two years ago I commited the unpardonable sin. Since then I am like a zombie I have no more love in my heart and feel totally dead. My spirit is gone and i am nobody. I would like to know if you have recover from this situation and if your heart were hardened because mine is. Thanks for your answer.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi I am 29 years old and two years ago I commited the unpardonable sin. Since then I am like a zombie I have no more love in my heart and feel totally dead. My spirit is gone and i am nobody. I would like to know if you have recover from this situation and if your heart were hardened because mine is. Thanks for your answer.

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he... - Proverbs 23:7

If you had truly committed the unpardonable sin I do not think you would be here talking about it. If you were to find a faith and Spirit filled environment I believe you would find your heart warmed, as Wesleys 300 years before you...

It was after a difficult and discouraging mission trip to America that John Wesley questioned his faith. In 1738, at the age of 34, John Wesley attended an evening worship service in London which moved him deeply.

"In the evening I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther's preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while the leader was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death." John Wesley

For the next year Wesley would continue to seek the Lord until spiritual experiences would happen as stated in Wesley's journal from Jan. 1, 1739: "About sixty of our brethren until three in the morning, the power of God came mightily on us, insomuch that many cried out for exceeding joy, and many fell to the ground. John Wesley prayed, "Lord send us revival without its defects but if this is not possible, send revival, defects and all."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rom. 8:13: "for if you live according to the flesh, you shall die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the flesh, you will live."

Here the apostle is talking about how to live by faith in Christ in a practical way. He explains the faith-life in a way that fleshly-minded people can understand (we all start out that way). Spiritually minded people believe in the unseen God, and pay attention to His words, commands, and promises given to us in the scripture.

Living "according to the flesh" is very simply making your feelings the master of your life. Most people do this, since the "flesh" is all about what it takes to experience pleasure and what one deems as good, as measured by how much pleasure and how little pain, how much happiness and how little misery. But faith transcends feelings (goes far beyond).

The gospel tells us that through believing in Christ and His work, we can be reconciled to God, in which we are called to seek God's help in all that we do and think. In being reconciled (reconnected in relationship) to God, we receive the Holy Spirit, who is the One who helps us in all matters. He is the One who causes us to hope in Christ and become aware of God's presence in our lives. Therefore, living by faith means believing God's promises of forgiveness and help, in which we overcome unbelief and sin, to live a victorious Christian life - not perfect, but constantly improving and becoming Christlike in character.

I hope you can see that you aren't a hopeless case. Just because you don't feel right, doesn't mean you're hopeless. If you take the apostle's warning and advice, you can be restored to spiritual and psychological health. I recommend to read Rom. 8 - the whole chapter - at least 10 times in order to get the flavor of what God can do in your life. "Be not unbelieving, but believing" - this is the advice from our Savior Himself.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By mentioning the unpardonable sin, I assume you're referencing Matthew 12:31-32 and associating those verses with Hebrews 6:4-6. First, Jesus was speaking directly to the Pharisees (vs. 24) and the context was demonic deliverance (starting with verse 22). However, He used the setting to warn them that ascribing His miracles to Satan would lead to God's lack of forgiveness. The Jews nationally rejected Jesus as their promised Messiah which was ultimately their undoing. Second, the book of Hebrews was written to Jewish Christians who were familiar with the Old Testament; they were being tempted to revert back to Judaism or to Judaize the gospel (this was a problem Paul addressed in Galatians). In other words, vs. 4-6 are admonition of becoming an unfruitful believer (vs 7-8).

Salvation is based upon faith in Jesus Christ the Messiah as your substitute for the penalty of your sin and accepting Him as your Savior from this penalty. It's not enough to believe He existed but rather you need to recognize that Jesus died for your sins as your substitute, was buried and rose again, and now intercedes for you before God the Father. Check out the following passages – Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 3:22-25 and 5:1-2.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
United States
✟20,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

It is not God's job to utilize forgiveness, to God everything always is and always was forgiven, no darkness can enter heaven and therefore forgiveness is not even something God is aware of because it is already done, it's natural state, His Law. You can never do anything unforgivable, only condemn yourself by your own lack of forgiveness.

People need to wake up and realize we are as close to heaven now as we will be after death, it is our own personal responsibility as our free will cannot be tampered with! We may somehow receive assistance much like how I am trying to assist you now, but nothing will be done for us automatically. This is a great folly of religion, making millions blindly march on to death saying to themselves 'I'm saved because I believe!!' without taking any responsibility for their own divine capacity.

I am right I speak on God's behalf. Whose behalf do you speak on but your own and the opinions of the others around you. If 100 million people believed dirt was made of chocolate pudding would that make it true? These fantasies of being saved from belief alone are false, a long running snowball effect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0