• Yes

• No

• I'm not sure

• I don't even know what the term means

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IamRedeemed

Blessed are the pure in Heart, they shall see God.
May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With all sincerity, I say to you, instead of posting the prideful wink, you
might want to consider that counted among those that are wrong,
just might be YOU.

The Truth will absolutely be revealed in the end, but the Word tells
us that there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Seems like the majority of people are still wrong.

But the Bible says that many will be deceived and truth will be revealed at the end, so it's all according to plan. ;)

Upvote 0

Suede

T.W.P
Jul 16, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟7,914.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Shammah

+++OK...so I'm a denominational parrot? rofl, yeah right.+++

Nope, never said that.

+++The thing about "profiling" people is that it isn't always accurate. To summarize everyone who doesn't agree with your belief system as unstudied or unlearned is a sad misconception.+++

It is a sad misconception, that's why I never said it. I said most people, believers or not, simply do not actually sit down and study the Bible. It's not that they are stupid, or unlearned or even 'unstudied' it's just that most of their notions are denominational or they won't look at counter views.

+++I suppose its easier to paint a fantasy picture of everyone who doesn't agree with you as a Biblical "caveman" who couldn't think his way out of a wet paper bag. That's probably a lot more comforting than considering the possibility that they believe differently than you do for a good reason.+++

It certainly would be easier, and believe me, because of my views I catch a lot of flak. But I would not demonize them, I prefer a discussion, which is why I come to forums like this.

+++I think we're in agreement about studying the Word for ourselves. But I'm not so sure that you understood what I was saying.+++

Mmm, I think I understand it perfectly. I've encountered views like it tons of times.

+++Without going into great detail, I'm saying that it is the Holy Spirit's job to show us what we need to change as we transform our minds in the Word. It has nothing to do with not studying...it has everything to do with someone else taking it upon themselves to try to do the Holy Spirit's job.+++

Sure, sure. BUT, too often this is a nonsensical cop out. As soon as someone can't refute a view, they fall back on 'Well...the Holy Spirit..." I just put zero weight in that when I can see some back stepping or dodging things. It's too easy and oddly doing so is too human. Besides, I think the Holy Spirit had a very, very specific function in the early part of the first century, a function that is not around today IMHO. I'm also a cessasionist and do not believe in continued prophecy.

Ok, now on to the verses,

+++For by grace are you saved through FAITH... Ephesians 2:8+++

The rest of the context of this passage, which you did not list is comparing righteousness from faith vs. works. The point is , For by grace are you saved....Paul likes to compare and contrast, and that's exactly what he's doing in Eph 2.

+++Now FAITH is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things NOT SEEN. HEBREWS 11:1+++

Sure it is, I completely agree with this verse. This neither denies nor affirms.

+++We receive this gift by exercising the FAITH God gave us.+++

Hebrews 11 is not talking about that. Again, the author Paul or someone that knows Paul is comparing and contrasting Faith vs. Works. This is not a chapter on salvation issues.

+++Hello!? They received the promises of God because of their LIVING FAITH. Why is that important?+++

Well they had faith vs. works that God would be faithful and keep His promises, which He did in sending Jesus.

+++If FAITH does not exist for us, then neither does salvation.+++

Nonsense. Even before belief, as sinners, man was reconciled to God. "For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." Roms 5:10

Paul even notes that though most of Israel was wicked and did not believe...

"And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;"

Paul states that ALL of Israel will be saved? Problem for you and others, yes? Problem for me? Nope. I don't have to try and twist scriptures to make this work.

What are we trying to be saved from anyways? The error that Adam caused which in turn separated all men from God, so before the Messiah, ALL men went to Sheol to wait for the rejoining of man with God. But, you don't have to have 'faith' in Adam's curse/sin...You are affected by it regardless. That is ALL men are affected by original sin. BUT, the Bible notes that all men are under the curse right? And that grace is GREATER than the curse right? So what does it mean? It means that if all men are cursed by something sub par, but that when something on par comes along, they are all saved. You are cursed by Adam whether you like it or not, and likewise you are saved by Jesus whether you like it or not.

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned-- But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.) Therefore, as through one man's offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous." Romans 5:12,15-19

+++The point I was making with respect to universal reconciliation is that saving faith must be established on this side of the grave...as Hebrews 11:13 notes that they lived their faith to the very end of their lives and died still in faith.+++

No, that shows their righteousness established by faith as opposed to works.

+++The problem with "everybody gets saved" is that faith is required for salvation. Everybody will not be saved because everybody will not receive the promise by grace through faith. They will not die in faith and after the evidence is seen, faith is no more. If faith is no more, then neither is salvation.+++

As I have shown, that is not true.

+++Grace alone is not enough.+++

Wow, strong anti Biblical statement.

Take care,

SUEDE

Upvote 0

Suede

T.W.P
Jul 16, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟7,914.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
IamRedeemed,

+++No, it isn't there. Anyone can use the Bible to claim most anything they want. But in order to do so, one has to reject many other Scriptures.Such as in the case of Calvinism. But it doesn't make either of them true.+++

That is correct, which is why it's important to study and dialog on such matters. On a side note, it doesn't make it untrue either.

+++Jesus was a "hellmonger" according to Universalists, because He believes there is a hell.+++

Hmmm, I don't know a single Universalist like that at all. We don't think Jesus believes in Hell...there's nothing in the Bible noting that concept. That's a later tradition in the Church.

+++and proceed to present a repackaged form of purgatory.+++

Yes, some do. A process to send people through a 'refiner's fire'.

+++ie., it is only a temporary place where the haters of God are going, where they will pay for their own sin, (have the sin burned out of them through a purifying fire) and then say "hah!" to Jesus "I got in without your blood or without believing in you while I was on earth, and I got to endure a fire instead and now I will enter into glory and bypass the so called ONLY WAY to Heaven".+++

Well, whether they know it or not, they aren't getting in without Jesus' blood.

+++There is NO Scripture whatsoever that shows us that ANYONE will survive the Second Death or will ever come out of the Lake of Fire once they receive that judgment.+++

Of course there's really no evidence to the contrary is there? I'm sure if there were, you'd be fast to post it.

+++Further there is nothing that countenances a new decision for Christ,
once this life is over. The Scripture shows our fate is sealed once we have taken our last breath.+++

Yea, that all are reunited with God...a God that has power over both the good and the evil.

+++It is accounted to men, once to die, and then comes the judgment.+++

True, true. So be good! But that doesn't mean they are damned forever and separated from God. That's reading back into the text. Judgment and eternal damnation are two very different things.

+++There is nothing that shows once the judgment is delivered that a secondary judgment or any other options are given.+++

Sure, and there wouldn't need to be. I trust God is a wise and just judge.

Take care,

SUEDE

Upvote 0

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Shammah

+++OK...so I'm a denominational parrot? rofl, yeah right.+++

Nope, never said that.

+++The thing about "profiling" people is that it isn't always accurate. To summarize everyone who doesn't agree with your belief system as unstudied or unlearned is a sad misconception.+++

It is a sad misconception, that's why I never said it. I said most people, believers or not, simply do not actually sit down and study the Bible. It's not that they are stupid, or unlearned or even 'unstudied' it's just that most of their notions are denominational or they won't look at counter views.

+++I suppose its easier to paint a fantasy picture of everyone who doesn't agree with you as a Biblical "caveman" who couldn't think his way out of a wet paper bag. That's probably a lot more comforting than considering the possibility that they believe differently than you do for a good reason.+++

It certainly would be easier, and believe me, because of my views I catch a lot of flak. But I would not demonize them, I prefer a discussion, which is why I come to forums like this.

+++I think we're in agreement about studying the Word for ourselves. But I'm not so sure that you understood what I was saying.+++

Mmm, I think I understand it perfectly. I've encountered views like it tons of times.

+++Without going into great detail, I'm saying that it is the Holy Spirit's job to show us what we need to change as we transform our minds in the Word. It has nothing to do with not studying...it has everything to do with someone else taking it upon themselves to try to do the Holy Spirit's job.+++

Sure, sure. BUT, too often this is a nonsensical cop out. As soon as someone can't refute a view, they fall back on 'Well...the Holy Spirit..." I just put zero weight in that when I can see some back stepping or dodging things. It's too easy and oddly doing so is too human. Besides, I think the Holy Spirit had a very, very specific function in the early part of the first century, a function that is not around today IMHO. I'm also a cessasionist and do not believe in continued prophecy.

Aaah a cessationist...why then may I ask are you debating in the SF/PC forum? This is not a subject open for debate here. You are free to hold whatever POV you wish, but the guidelines preventing cessation theologies from debating here were established for a reason...the SF/PC Congregation area is considered a "safe haven" according to the site-wide rules of conduct and is open for those who fit in the category of SF/PC:

For the purposes of this forum, Charismatic/Spirit-filled is defined as follows:

Spirit-Filled, Pentecostal and/or Charismatic believers can be from any denomination. They are those who believe that all the various spiritual gifts (or charisms) listed in the New Testament (including but not limited to the manifestations gifts found in I Corinthians 12:8-10) are active in the Church today and desirable in the life of the individual believer, for the edification of the Body of Christ. It is not required that the individual exercises/exhibits any specific spiritual gift(s).

And while you are denegrading the scriptural work of the Holy Spirit in our lives as a "cop out", may I remind you that the issue I was addressing was the issue of "mind bending". I have specifically addressed the single issue of mental manipulation and the techniques used to accomplish it. I pointed out that I've heard a redundancy of the first steps of it from virtually all reconciliationists.

Upvote 0

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, now on to the verses,

+++For by grace are you saved through FAITH... Ephesians 2:8+++

The rest of the context of this passage, which you did not list is comparing righteousness from faith vs. works. The point is , For by grace are you saved....Paul likes to compare and contrast, and that's exactly what he's doing in Eph 2.

+++Now FAITH is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things NOT SEEN. HEBREWS 11:1+++

Sure it is, I completely agree with this verse. This neither denies nor affirms.

+++We receive this gift by exercising the FAITH God gave us.+++

Hebrews 11 is not talking about that. Again, the author Paul or someone that knows Paul is comparing and contrasting Faith vs. Works. This is not a chapter on salvation issues.

+++Hello!? They received the promises of God because of their LIVING FAITH. Why is that important?+++

Well they had faith vs. works that God would be faithful and keep His promises, which He did in sending Jesus.

The faith vs. works discourse is entirely about salvation. The entire point of it is that salvation is not achieved by our works but received by our faith in Christ.

As you pointed out, the scripture in Ephesians 2 continues to say:

Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:9

But where you are mistaken is this...the passage does not say we gain righteousness by faith...the specific term is salvation. What Ephesians 2:8-9 is cleear on is that salvation cannot be achieved by works...it is a gift of God's grace received through faith.

What did Hebrews 11 say their unreceived promise was? Look at verse 16: But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.

Why is that important? Look at verse 13 again: These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down from above) or, "'Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:6-10

Notice any similarities?

The Bible says that the expression of our faith by our confession of our belief in Christ that receives the gift of salvation. That's pretty clear...cut and dried. This is one of the basic tenets of those who hold "nicean" related belief systems.

+++If FAITH does not exist for us, then neither does salvation.+++

Nonsense. Even before belief, as sinners, man was reconciled to God. "For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." Roms 5:10

Paul even notes that though most of Israel was wicked and did not believe...

"And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;"

Paul states that ALL of Israel will be saved? Problem for you and others, yes? Problem for me? Nope. I don't have to try and twist scriptures to make this work.

What are we trying to be saved from anyways? The error that Adam caused which in turn separated all men from God, so before the Messiah, ALL men went to Sheol to wait for the rejoining of man with God. But, you don't have to have 'faith' in Adam's curse/sin...You are affected by it regardless. That is ALL men are affected by original sin. BUT, the Bible notes that all men are under the curse right? And that grace is GREATER than the curse right? So what does it mean? It means that if all men are cursed by something sub par, but that when something on par comes along, they are all saved. You are cursed by Adam whether you like it or not, and likewise you are saved by Jesus whether you like it or not.

The curse? Do you understand what happened to Adam and Eve when they sinned? They died spiritually. Not simply "going to die physically", but completely dead spiritually.

Why do you think Jesus said, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."?

This is the death we need to be saved from. And we have to do this while we're living. This is what Jesus was explaining in John 11 when He said, "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die."

If everyone gets born again, then there's a real problem...in the end...whoever is not found written in the Lamb's Book of Life is cast into the Lake of Fire. Revelation 20:15 This is no refiner's fire...there is no mention of a resurrection from the second death. Its just not in the Bible.

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned-- But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.) Therefore, as through one man's offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous." Romans 5:12,15-19

I notice you overlooked this...
But the free gift is not like the offense...And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned.

Doesn't jive with the notion that they are alike, does it?

+++The point I was making with respect to universal reconciliation is that saving faith must be established on this side of the grave...as Hebrews 11:13 notes that they lived their faith to the very end of their lives and died still in faith.+++

No, that shows their righteousness established by faith as opposed to works.

I thought you were reading the Bible? Let's look at it again..."For by grace are you saved through faith..."

The end result of the OT saints' faith is entering into the Kingdom not of this world. It has to be seen from afar and received by faith...there is no other way into this Kingdom.

+++The problem with "everybody gets saved" is that faith is required for salvation. Everybody will not be saved because everybody will not receive the promise by grace through faith. They will not die in faith and after the evidence is seen, faith is no more. If faith is no more, then neither is salvation.+++

As I have shown, that is not true.

Ummm...you've played with words a little...nothing I see specially supports your affirmation.

+++Grace alone is not enough.+++

Wow, strong anti Biblical statement.

Take care,

SUEDE

Not at all...you have to believe...and you have to confess...it is given by grace and received through faith...its black and white.

Upvote 0

HephzibahBenJudah

Daughter of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
Florida
✟128,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Sit down and study the BIble." What a novel approach.

The Bible says "Lean not unto your own understanding, in all your ways acknowldege Him and He would direct your paths.

The Bible also says "The letter of the Law killeth but that the Spirit gives life."

If one would Study the Bible apart from the Holy Spirit and with no "balance" in the Word and the Spirit, then one would and often does come up with a narrow view of who we are and who God is.

Thus we have Calvanist, Universalists, and all the other "ists".

No one has a corner on the market when it comes to the BIble and understanding its meaning except the one who wrote it GOD.

Therefore, we should lay aside every weight that so easily besets us and run the race...there's a prize to be won.

Reactions: IamRedeemed
Upvote 0

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
With all sincerity, I say to you, instead of posting the prideful wink, you
might want to consider that counted among those that are wrong,
just might be YOU.

The Truth will absolutely be revealed in the end, but the Word tells
us that there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

hah, you see? My "prideful" wink. Yes, I am sure God is stirring the cauldron as we speak preparing to boil me for an Internet smilie.

I speak of the goodtruth, the divinetruth. If I am wrong than the truth belong to the hell-worshipers and the Demon-God, which is exactly what will be left. Not a very positive scenario by any means.

Upvote 0

Suede

T.W.P
Jul 16, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟7,914.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Shammah,

+++Aaah a cessationist...why then may I ask are you debating in the SF/PC forum? +++

The topic was about Universalism, so I figured I would make myself available for discussion. I don't care under what sub forum it was posted under.

+++This is not a subject open for debate here. You are free to hold whatever POV you wish, but the guidelines preventing cessation theologies from debating here were established for a reason...the SF/PC Congregation area is considered a "safe haven" according to the site-wide rules of conduct and is open for those who fit in the category of SF/PC:+++

No worries, that was a side note to explain a belief I hold. I'm not here to debate that, that is a separate issue.

+++And while you are denegrading the scriptural work of the Holy Spirit in our lives as a "cop out", may I remind you that the issue I was addressing was the issue of "mind bending". I have specifically addressed the single issue of mental manipulation and the techniques used to accomplish it. I pointed out that I've heard a redundancy of the first steps of it from virtually all reconciliationists.+++

I view it only as a cop out if that is all one is willing to put forth, at that point, and I think you can agree, it is a cop out. The Bible tells us we should study the word of God to show yourself approved by Him, I hold that to be very true indeed. Take care,

SUEDE

Upvote 0

Suede

T.W.P
Jul 16, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟7,914.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Shammah,

+++The faith vs. works discourse is entirely about salvation. The entire point of it is that salvation is not achieved by our works but received by our faith in Christ.+++

Well, certainly that's an issue with righteousness no doubt. But it's not a salvation issue.

+++But where you are mistaken is this...the passage does not say we gain righteousness by faith...the specific term is salvation. What Ephesians 2:8-9 is clear on is that salvation cannot be achieved by works...it is a gift of God's grace received through faith.+++

True, it is God's grace that saves us, not faith. If it were faith that saved us, that too could be a work. We are saved because GOD is faithful, not because WE are faithful. You being faithful is an outward expression because you know the truth about Christ. You are not faithful because your understanding came first, but you are faithful because God called you to be a servant to Him. HOWEVER, this does not mean that non believers are NOT saved.

Rom 3:3-4a "For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? Certainly not!"

The Bible can often explain itself, whether in a literal fashion or in a metaphorical/symbolic fashion. Let's go back to the Exodus. Israel was 'saved' from Egypt whether Israel as a whole or as individuals believed in God or not. Their personally belief or lack there of had NOTHING to do with whether God saved them or not. Why? Because GOD is faithful, and that's what matters. One's faith or lack of faith does not and can not negate God's faithfulness. God said he would save the people from Israel, and that's exactly what happened. It did not take a personal belief, God did not state that He would only save 'believers'. That's on a small scale. Look at the Bible as a whole and it's the same thing. God is pulling people out of the curse that Adam caused. And like the Exodus, it has nothing to do with one's personal belief. God said He would send a messiah to undo what Adam's curse that effected all men, and He did that unconditionally. Here's another analogy,

"You do not have to believe in gravity for gravity to have its total effect on you, as much as someone else who does believe in and understands gravity – belief or non-belief does not negate the effect of gravity upon you. So, what does "believing" in gravity do for you? It will save you – you will not do what you know to be contrary to gravity and thus endanger your life. Through experience-observance you conclude that gravity is an absolute – regardless of belief. Believing in gravity however makes it beneficial – rather than struggling against it. So, whether we believe it or not, absolute truth affects us – however, it can benefit us greatly if we accept it, just as it is."

Rom 1:17 For in it [the Gospel] the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."

+++What did Hebrews 11 say their unreceived promise was? Look at verse 16: But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.
Why is that important? Look at verse 13 again: These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.+++

Yes, in the OT, people did and went to Sheol, not to heaven. They had faith that God would be faithful to them and redeem them to heaven, which of course God has done.

+++But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down from above) or, "'Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:6-10
Notice any similarities?
The Bible says that the expression of our faith by our confession of our belief in Christ that receives the gift of salvation. That's pretty clear...cut and dried. This is one of the basic tenets of those who hold "nicean" related belief systems.+++

You confess because you KNOW you are saved. That is the difference between you and say an unbeliever - you 'get it', unbelievers do not. You understand that,

Rom 5:10 "For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life."

That is why you confess and have faith. Because you understand that you are saved, non believers do not. You were saved when you were an unbeliever Shammah, but you came to the understanding that you were saved and became a Christian. But again, this does not mean that people that do not 'get it' are not saved.

Romans 3:3,4a "What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? May it never be!"

And here we see Paul saying that though Israel did not believe, ALL Israel would be saved. Why? Because mankind's salvation depends on God's faithfulness to do what HE promised. It has zero bearing on our faithfulness. Our faithfulness is because we KNOW we are saved, that's what separates us from non believers.

"For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery--so that you will not be wise in your own estimation--that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written.." Romans 11:25,26a

And they did not 'confess' that Jesus is Lord, quite the opposite. So..is Paul 'wrong' and you are correct? No. Paul understand the overall faithfulness of God to redeem ALL of mankind.

+++The curse? Do you understand what happened to Adam and Eve when they sinned? They died spiritually. Not simply "going to die physically", but completely dead spiritually.+++

My point exactly. Adam and Eve were going to physically die regardless, but when they did sin, they were removed from God, dead spiritually as you noted. This is why people in the OT went to Sheol and not heaven when they died. Why? Because God had not yet redeemed ALL of mankind from the curse that affected ALL of mankind.

+++Why do you think Jesus said, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."?+++

Right. Believers make up the kingdom of God. But again, this does not mean that unbelievers are eternally damned.

+++This is the death we need to be saved from. And we have to do this while we're living. This is what Jesus was explaining in John 11 when He said, "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die."+++

Right, they will have eternal life. And Biblically, what is eternal life???

"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." John 17:3

That's what I was talking about earlier - the difference between a believer and non believers. We KNOW we are saved.

+++If everyone gets born again, then there's a real problem...in the end...whoever is not found written in the Lamb's Book of Life is cast into the Lake of Fire. Revelation 20:15 This is no refiner's fire...there is no mention of a resurrection from the second death. Its just not in the Bible.+++

The Book of Life typically in a Jewish sense refers to the living righteous...but as we have already seen, that doesn't have any bearing on whether one is 'saved' or not. And actually, the lake of fire could be viewed as a refiner's fire, death and hell itself are thrown into. So...it's not Hell as many assume it is...a place where the wicked are forever sent.

+++I notice you overlooked this...
But the free gift is not like the offense...And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned.
Doesn't jive with the notion that they are alike, does it?+++

THAT'S THE POINT I'M MAKING, that they are NOT alike. If EVERYONE is condemned under original sin due to Adam, but grace is GREATER than the curse, then EVERYONE will be saved and then some. "But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many." The point is that God's grace is greater than Adam's curse. IF, you do not hold this view, you make Adam's curse have more power than God's grace.

+++The end result of the OT saints' faith is entering into the Kingdom not of this world. It has to be seen from afar and received by faith...there is no other way into this Kingdom.+++

The OT saints were allowed to enter heaven, a bit different than the Kingdom of God.

+++Ummm...you've played with words a little...nothing I see specially supports your affirmation.+++

Sorry, let me be more direct.

Tit 2:11 "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men."

Is that black and white enough for you? Take care,

SUEDE

Upvote 0

Suede

T.W.P
Jul 16, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟7,914.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Hep,

+++"Sit down and study the BIble." What a novel approach.+++

Unfortunately in today's world, it is.

+++The Bible says "Lean not unto your own understanding, in all your ways acknowldege Him and He would direct your paths.+++

True. But that doesn't mean we should NOT study the Bible either.

+++The Bible also says "The letter of the Law killeth but that the Spirit gives life."+++

Way out of context, has no bearing on our discussion.

+++If one would Study the Bible apart from the Holy Spirit and with no "balance" in the Word and the Spirit, then one would and often does come up with a narrow view of who we are and who God is.+++

Agreed, so many try and limit the power of God's grace - it's very unfortunate.

+++Thus we have Calvanist, Universalists, and all the other "ists".+++

...and Charismatics, Pentecostals, Apostolic churches, etc....

+++No one has a corner on the market when it comes to the BIble and understanding its meaning except the one who wrote it GOD.+++

But there are obvious fallacies in certain beliefs held by people. For example, if some held the belief that Jesus was a Greek Gentile, is this true or not? Should we even challenge it? Well, of course it's wrong and yes we should.

+++Therefore, we should lay aside every weight that so easily besets us and run the race...there's a prize to be won.+++

The prize has already been won by Christ...why doesn't anyone understand that? Christ won already.

Take care,

SUEDE

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Shammah,

+++The faith vs. works discourse is entirely about salvation. The entire point of it is that salvation is not achieved by our works but received by our faith in Christ.+++

Well, certainly that's an issue with righteousness no doubt. But it's not a salvation issue.

That's odd, then why does it say it is by grace through faith that we are SAVED?

+++But where you are mistaken is this...the passage does not say we gain righteousness by faith...the specific term is salvation. What Ephesians 2:8-9 is clear on is that salvation cannot be achieved by works...it is a gift of God's grace received through faith.+++

True, it is God's grace that saves us, not faith. If it were faith that saved us, that too could be a work. We are saved because GOD is faithful, not because WE are faithful. You being faithful is an outward expression because you know the truth about Christ. You are not faithful because your understanding came first, but you are faithful because God called you to be a servant to Him. HOWEVER, this does not mean that non believers are NOT saved.

Rom 3:3-4a "For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? Certainly not!"

The Bible can often explain itself, whether in a literal fashion or in a metaphorical/symbolic fashion. Let's go back to the Exodus. Israel was 'saved' from Egypt whether Israel as a whole or as individuals believed in God or not. Their personally belief or lack there of had NOTHING to do with whether God saved them or not. Why? Because GOD is faithful, and that's what matters. One's faith or lack of faith does not and can not negate God's faithfulness. God said he would save the people from Israel, and that's exactly what happened. It did not take a personal belief, God did not state that He would only save 'believers'. That's on a small scale. Look at the Bible as a whole and it's the same thing. God is pulling people out of the curse that Adam caused. And like the Exodus, it has nothing to do with one's personal belief. God said He would send a messiah to undo what Adam's curse that effected all men, and He did that unconditionally. Here's another analogy,

"You do not have to believe in gravity for gravity to have its total effect on you, as much as someone else who does believe in and understands gravity – belief or non-belief does not negate the effect of gravity upon you. So, what does "believing" in gravity do for you? It will save you – you will not do what you know to be contrary to gravity and thus endanger your life. Through experience-observance you conclude that gravity is an absolute – regardless of belief. Believing in gravity however makes it beneficial – rather than struggling against it. So, whether we believe it or not, absolute truth affects us – however, it can benefit us greatly if we accept it, just as it is."

Rom 1:17 For in it [the Gospel] the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."

If I understand what you're saying, you are equating God's faithfulness to perform His Word with the faith needed for salvation.

God is faithful to do what He says He will do, and He is faithful to us even when we are faithless.

But let's look at another scripture real quick:

And brought them out, and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."
Acts 16:30-31

According to the scripture...there is something WE MUST DO in order to be saved. If what you are saying is true, Paul would have answered, "NOTHING! You're already saved!"

Instead, Paul answered the Jailer...Pisteuo on the Lord Jesus Christ. Pisteuo is the verb form of the noun pistis which by the way means faith. Verbs are action words...so Paul's answer to the Jailer was to be saved, you must actively have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

So...if we, as the Jailer did, have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ...then God is faithful to perform His Word and we will receive the free gift of His salvation.

+++What did Hebrews 11 say their unreceived promise was? Look at verse 16: But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.
Why is that important? Look at verse 13 again: These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.+++

Yes, in the OT, people did and went to Sheol, not to heaven. They had faith that God would be faithful to them and redeem them to heaven, which of course God has done.

Sheol or hades is often translated as hell, but it is not the same as gehenna...hell is the place of the dead...period. Scripture makes it clear that there is an impassable gulf in hell between torment and paradise. And for the record, Jesus said He went to Paradise, not torment.

So, yes Jesus redeemed the OT saints. But there is no evidence that those in torment were effected by that.

+++But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down from above) or, "'Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:6-10
Notice any similarities?

The Bible says that the expression of our faith by our confession of our belief in Christ that receives the gift of salvation. That's pretty clear...cut and dried. This is one of the basic tenets of those who hold "nicean" related belief systems.+++

You confess because you KNOW you are saved. That is the difference between you and say an unbeliever - you 'get it', unbelievers do not. You understand that,

Rom 5:10 "For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life."

That is why you confess and have faith. Because you understand that you are saved, non believers do not. You were saved when you were an unbeliever Shammah, but you came to the understanding that you were saved and became a Christian. But again, this does not mean that people that do not 'get it' are not saved.

Romans 3:3,4a "What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? May it never be!"

And here we see Paul saying that though Israel did not believe, ALL Israel would be saved. Why? Because mankind's salvation depends on God's faithfulness to do what HE promised. It has zero bearing on our faithfulness. Our faithfulness is because we KNOW we are saved, that's what separates us from non believers.

"For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery--so that you will not be wise in your own estimation--that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written.." Romans 11:25,26a

And they did not 'confess' that Jesus is Lord, quite the opposite. So..is Paul 'wrong' and you are correct? No. Paul understand the overall faithfulness of God to redeem ALL of mankind.

This is a bit much, but for the most part, I think we are saying very similar things. The difference I perceive is the paradigm of the understanding of "all".

A few pages back, I think Mathetes did a bit on the term "all" that expressed my understanding of it very well. Maybe it would do some good to peruse the thread and check it out. I looked briefly and didn't see it.

If you're reading this Mathetes, maybe you remember where it was and could quote or link to it for us...I liked your perspective and it might save some redundancy.

But briefly..."all" is an inclusive word. The question about who or what is included or excluded from its reach needs to be answered in both local and universal context of scripture. Here are a few examples:

Yes, God will redeem Israel, but the Word establishes some boundaries of inclusion:

Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness. And the destruction of the transgressors and of the sinners shall be together, and they that forsake the LORD shall be consumed. Isaiah 1:27-28

Here's another:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes (pisteuo) in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."

All is..whosoever has faith in Christ...

"He who believes (pisteuo) in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe (pisteuo) is condemned already, because he has not believed (pisteuo) in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God." John 3:16-21

He who does not have faith in Christ is condemned...errr...that doesn't fit into the same category of "all" as those who do have faith in Christ, does it?

And one more...

He came unto His own, and His own received Him not.

Notice...not all received Him.

But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe (pisteuo) on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:11-13

So the power to become sons of God is inclusively given to ALL who receive Christ AND once again we see the redundancy of the need for pisteuo.

I might add that the reconciliation of Romans 5:10 and 2 Corinthians 5:18-20 is not the equivalent of salvation. They are different terms...without the ministry of Christ's reconciliation, salvation would be impossible.

+++The curse? Do you understand what happened to Adam and Eve when they sinned? They died spiritually. Not simply "going to die physically", but completely dead spiritually.+++

My point exactly. Adam and Eve were going to physically die regardless, but when they did sin, they were removed from God, dead spiritually as you noted. This is why people in the OT went to Sheol and not heaven when they died. Why? Because God had not yet redeemed ALL of mankind from the curse that affected ALL of mankind.

+++Why do you think Jesus said, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."?+++

Right. Believers make up the kingdom of God. But again, this does not mean that unbelievers are eternally damned.

Believe me, its not that I have any desire to see this happen, but those who aren't found written in the Book of Life will be cast into the Lake of Fire. I didn't write it, but I can't just ignore it...and there is only one resurrection.

It is this resurrection that raises ALL the dead to stand before the Great White Throne...what scriptural hope can you offer the man who stands at the Throne of Judgement who's name is not in the Book of Life?

"Don't worry, you will not surely die...it isn't real." ... ? Who's gospel is that?

+++This is the death we need to be saved from. And we have to do this while we're living. This is what Jesus was explaining in John 11 when He said, "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die."+++

Right, they will have eternal life. And Biblically, what is eternal life???

"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." John 17:3

That's what I was talking about earlier - the difference between a believer and non believers. We KNOW we are saved.

I think the Bible makes it a little clearer...the difference between believers and unbelievers is the exercise of faith.

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth (pisteuo) in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth (pisteuo) in me shall never die."

Wow...this pisteuo thing is everywhere! Ya gotta have faith!!!!!!

+++If everyone gets born again, then there's a real problem...in the end...whoever is not found written in the Lamb's Book of Life is cast into the Lake of Fire. Revelation 20:15 This is no refiner's fire...there is no mention of a resurrection from the second death. Its just not in the Bible.+++

The Book of Life typically in a Jewish sense refers to the living righteous...but as we have already seen, that doesn't have any bearing on whether one is 'saved' or not. And actually, the lake of fire could be viewed as a refiner's fire, death and hell itself are thrown into. So...it's not Hell as many assume it is...a place where the wicked are forever sent.

Sounds more like what John Lennon would say than Jesus. Try perusing the thread on this topic. This is just not scriptural, you won't find many here likely to swallow it, and I'm not going to chase it in redundancy.

The post has too many characters so I've stopped here. I'm not sure there was anything that hasn't already been addressed. If there is, forgive me..the post is too long and I'm tired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
According to the scripture...there is something WE MUST DO in order to be saved. If what you are saying is true, Paul would have answered, "NOTHING! You're already saved!"

And the ever-present problem of seeking only scripture and not reason persists. You act as if these are the horrible rules that God is powerless to change, or that he simply does not care for the majority of his "children".

Jesus himself explained we need to look deeper into what is written. "Saved" doesn't necessarily mean literally being saved from some hell dimension. Can it not mean being saved from our own wickedness and foolishness? Because we certainly all need that.

The Universe wasn't literally made in 7 days you know. And the disciples didn't literally devour Christ's body and drain his blood.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the ever-present problem of seeking only scripture and not reason persists. You act as if these are the horrible rules that God is powerless to change, or that he simply does not care for the majority of his "children".

Jesus himself explained we need to look deeper into what is written. "Saved" doesn't necessarily mean literally being saved from some hell dimension. Can it not mean being saved from our own wickedness and foolishness? Because we certainly all need that.

The Universe wasn't literally made in 7 days you know. And the disciples didn't literally devour Christ's body and drain his blood.

"Saved" doesn't necessarily mean literally being saved from some hell dimension. Can it not mean being saved from our own wickedness and foolishness?

Actually the term refers to the theological contention of being spared the wrath of God.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MTK

+++Given the Talmud, and the two schools who did believe it . . . sorry but the majority would.+++

For certain classes, but that 'doctrine' hasn't carried on. Besides, what the Pharisees believe has no relation on the Bible as Christians see it.

+++No they are not. Our philosophical construct of "eternal" was propogated by PLATO and ARISTOTLE.+++

And that's part of the problem. That we superimpose those things onto the Bible.

+++is EXACTLY what I have pointed out . . . you CANNOT, by the progression of the word, read into the words original meaning whatever lacked in the progression into other languages+++

Of course you can. And you and I both know if aion was 'eternal' in Latin and later in English you'd be using it as one of your 'proofs'.

+++ . . it is the simple principle of "lost in translation."+++

That ASSUMES it is lost in translation.

+++Whatever lacked in aion's progression into Latin and English HAS NO BEARING UPON THE WAY THAT IT WAS ORIGINALLY USED. That is my point.+++

But it does demonstrate how a word was used. Would we take 'blue' not to mean 'blue' in a translation?? Or cold, or hot? Translation doesn't knock out an original meaning.

+++Historical context, Biblical passages, Self atonement, Low view of sin,
low view of God's attributes+++

Alright, cool. Do we want to go at them one at a time to stay focused? Should we just go in order? If so, post your 'historical context issues' in your next post. Take care,

SUEDE

Be with you soon . . .:pray:

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's odd, then why does it say it is by grace through faith that we are SAVED?

If I understand what you're saying, you are equating God's faithfulness to perform His Word with the faith needed for salvation.

God is faithful to do what He says He will do, and He is faithful to us even when we are faithless.

But let's look at another scripture real quick:

And brought them out, and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." Acts 16:30-31

Instead, Paul answered the Jailer...Pisteuo on the Lord Jesus Christ. Pisteuo is the verb form of the noun pistis which by the way means faith. Verbs are action words...so Paul's answer to the Jailer was to be saved, you must actively have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

So...if we, as the Jailer did, have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ...then God is faithful to perform His Word and we will receive the free gift of His salvation.

Sheol or hades is often translated as hell, but it is not the same as gehenna...hell is the place of the dead...period. Scripture makes it clear that there is an impassable gulf in hell between torment and paradise. And for the record, Jesus said He went to Paradise, not torment.

So, yes Jesus redeemed the OT saints. But there is no evidence that those in torment were effected by that.

This is a bit much, but for the most part, I think we are saying very similar things. The difference I perceive is the paradigm of the understanding of "all".

A few pages back, I think Mathetes did a bit on the term "all" that expressed my understanding of it very well. Maybe it would do some good to peruse the thread and check it out. I looked briefly and didn't see it.

If you're reading this Mathetes, maybe you remember where it was and could quote or link to it for us...I liked your perspective and it might save some redundancy.

But briefly..."all" is an inclusive word. The question about who or what is included or excluded from its reach needs to be answered in both local and universal context of scripture. Here are a few examples:

Yes, God will redeem Israel, but the Word establishes some boundaries of inclusion:

Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness. And the destruction of the transgressors and of the sinners shall be together, and they that forsake the LORD shall be consumed. Isaiah 1:27-28

Here's another:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes (pisteuo) in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."

All is..whosoever has faith in Christ...

"He who believes (pisteuo) in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe (pisteuo) is condemned already, because he has not believed (pisteuo) in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God." John 3:16-21

He who does not have faith in Christ is condemned...errr...that doesn't fit into the same category of "all" as those who do have faith in Christ, does it?

And one more...

He came unto His own, and His own received Him not.

Notice...not all received Him.

But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe (pisteuo) on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:11-13

So the power to become sons of God is inclusively given to ALL who receive Christ AND once again we see the redundancy of the need for pisteuo.

I might add that the reconciliation of Romans 5:10 and 2 Corinthians 5:18-20 is not the equivalent of salvation. They are different terms...without the ministry of Christ's reconciliation, salvation would be impossible.

Believe me, its not that I have any desire to see this happen, but those who aren't found written in the Book of Life will be cast into the Lake of Fire. I didn't write it, but I can't just ignore it...and there is only one resurrection.

It is this resurrection that raises ALL the dead to stand before the Great White Throne...what scriptural hope can you offer the man who stands at the Throne of Judgement who's name is not in the Book of Life?

"Don't worry, you will not surely die...it isn't real." ... ? Who's gospel is that?

I think the Bible makes it a little clearer...the difference between believers and unbelievers is the exercise of faith.

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth (pisteuo) in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth (pisteuo) in me shall never die."

Wow...this pisteuo thing is everywhere! Ya gotta have faith!!!!!!

Sounds more like what John Lennon would say than Jesus. Try perusing the thread on this topic. This is just not scriptural, you won't find many here likely to swallow it, and I'm not going to chase it in redundancy.

The post has too many characters so I've stopped here. I'm not sure there was anything that hasn't already been addressed. If there is, forgive me..the post is too long and I'm tired.
This post reminds me of the little boy sitting on daddy's knee while he explained life to him in all it's glory. Thrilled that the little guy was paying such rapt attention to his every word he felt a great accomplishment had been done. When he had finished saying all that was in his heart and on his mind, the little boy innocently said "Daddy, how many teeth do you have?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IamRedeemed

May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IamRedeemed,

+++No, it isn't there. Anyone can use the Bible to claim most anything they want. But in order to do so, one has to reject many other Scriptures.Such as in the case of Calvinism. But it doesn't make either of them true.+++

That is correct, which is why it's important to study and dialog on such matters. On a side note, it doesn't make it untrue either.

Actually, in study of the whole counsel of text, one would have to be completely blinded spiritually not to know that is most certainly IS untrue.

+++Jesus was a "hellmonger" according to Universalists, because He believes there is a hell.+++

Hmmm, I don't know a single Universalist like that at all. We don't think Jesus believes in Hell...there's nothing in the Bible noting that concept. That's a later tradition in the Church.

Well, I can assure you I didn't make it up. Those who believe the Words of God, which includes hell, are called that and worse by Unies, and since Jesus also knows there is hell, which can be proven by the text, then He is no less of a hell monger than the rest of us who do believe Him and His Word.

+++and proceed to present a repackaged form of purgatory.+++

Yes, some do. A process to send people through a 'refiner's fire'.

Yes, thank you for admitting that you know this. The refiner's fire is for believers, not haters of God, and it is not the believers themselves who will be burned up but their works that are not found to be gold (works in faith vs works of the flesh) that will be burned up. (wood, hay, and stubble). But again, the refiner's fire is for believers and NOT unbelievers. (Unlike the lake of fire, which is for those who are condemned having not believed on the Son of God. (John 3:18-19)

But regardless of how you slice it either form of Uni belief is false. There is a Hell, and there is a Lake of Fire which the Scriptures tell us is the SECOND DEATH. Not the second life, and there is NO Scriptures that speak of ANYONE coming out of the Lake of Fire and into eternity WITH the Lord.

None, zilch, zero, nada.

So, tell me how can one Uni believer there is no hell at all, while another believes there is a hell, but it is more like purgatory? And why is it yet other Unies even believe satan and his cohorts
will also be saved?

Scripture in context throughout the Word of God from Genesis to Revelation show clearly that NONE of those beliefs are true, or if you would rather that ALL of those beliefs are FALSE.

+++
and proceed to present a repackaged form of purgatory.
ie., it is only a temporary place where the haters of God are going, where they will pay for their own sin, (have the sin burned out of them through a purifying fire) and then say "hah!" to Jesus "I got in without your blood or without believing in you while I was on earth, and I got to endure a fire instead and now I will enter into glory and bypass the so called ONLY WAY to Heaven".+++

Well, whether they know it or not, they aren't getting in without Jesus' blood.

Whether they know it or not, they CANNOT get in AT ALL, if they
do not repent and believe in THIS LIFE. Our fate is sealed once we breathe our last. This is why the Gospel is an urgent message to all who have ears to hear. That is why Jesus called it the GREAT COMMISSION.

+++There is NO Scripture whatsoever that shows us that ANYONE will survive the Second Death or will ever come out of the Lake of Fire once they receive that judgment.+++

Of course there's really no evidence to the contrary is there? I'm sure if there were, you'd be fast to post it.

Well, actually there is. And I hate to tell you this, but "nanny nanny boo boo" is a lame argument. The fact that it is not there, shows that your doctrine is based on someone's wishful thinking. I can't even call that doctrine an 'argument of silence' (which would also be err), because Scripture clearly teaches otherwise and is not silent on it.

And just so you know, I have already posted plenty on it as a matter of fact. You don't think this is the first thread ever on this topic do you? :sorry:

I started a thread, and it rolled over (each 1000 posts) 5
times
(6 threads) ... there has been plenty of discussion, and Unies STILL are unable to prove their doctrine true. You will see the same pattern throughout all of them. Scripture that refutes the doctrine is completely ignored time and time again, and the Unies end up resorting to ad hominem attacks, or off topic diversions, all kinds of strawmen etc., over and over ad nauseum.

http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=6707479
2.http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=6735182
3.http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=6746643
4.http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=6956808
5.http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=6974332
6.http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=6988393

here is an example from someone else's perspective, that confirms what I am talking about occurred and this is after only the first 1000.....
Zecryphon said:
Every time I ask for scriptures that support universalist doctrine, I don't get any. What do I get? More questions, and usually questions about what I believe and questions about other parts of scripture that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. The universalist maintains that people only suffer for a little while in Hell and then are allowed to go to Heaven. Since that is their stance they need scriptures that prove it. Every time I ask for them, I don't get them. That is very very telilng. We're not talking about Nineveh, we're not talking about Jonah, we're talking about universal salvation. Do you have scriptures that support it yes or no. I'm going with no, you don't. If you would like to discuss Jonah, start a thread about that.

And nothing changed between there and the last thousand! :doh:

+++Further there is nothing that countenances a new decision for Christ,once this life is over. The Scripture shows our fate is sealed once we have taken our last breath.+++

Yea, that all are reunited with God...a God that has power over both the good and the evil.

God does have the power over good and evil, that is true, however, that is not a fact that supports Universalism in the least. God will not force His gift of salvation or His love upon any man. He has given man the right and the power to make choices. If God was going to make the choice for us, we would not need to even know the Gospel, would need to know nothing about repentence and denying ourselves and taking up our crosses and making no provision for the flesh, nor about running the race, nor about the crown of Life that is given to those who endure to the end. And most of the rest of the Scripture could just be thrown away as it would be inapplicable.

+++It is accounted to men, once to die, and then comes the judgment.+++

True, true. So be good! But that doesn't mean they are damned forever and separated from God. That's reading back into the text. Judgment and eternal damnation are two very different things.

That is incorrect. It is not "reading back into the text" but actually
derives from the text itself.
Eternal damnation IS going to be the judgment of many.

+++There is nothing that shows once the judgment is delivered that a secondary judgment or any other options are given.+++

Sure, and there wouldn't need to be. I trust God is a wise and just judge.

Yes He is. And He has revealed to us and commissioned believers everywhere to reveal to the world, His gift that is available to all who will repent and believe, before the time of grace ends and judgment begins.

And you cannot call it "trusting God", if our trust is not based or rooted in the Word of God, but rather in someone's wishful thinking and perhaps placing our trust in our own wishful thinking.
If God speaks contrary (which in this case He does) then we cannot ascribe anything to Him, that we have made up according to our ways and wishful thinking and expect Him to carry it out according to our will.

~ IamRedeemed

Upvote 0

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Aaah...so...according to who's philosophical or theological POV must we do this "reasoning" that makes what the Word clearly says into something else?

You seem to forget, it was God who made these "horrible rules" in the first place. Were it His desire to change them, why didn't He simply make different rules to begin with?

Please...please...get over yourself. The Gospel of Christ is a message of a love that has no equal. If He didn't care for ALL of His "children", He wouldn't have given His Son. If Jesus didn't love us with the greatest love, He wouldn't have been obedient to the cross. The entire message of the Gospel is that He loved us and gave Himself for us because He doesn't want us to die.

So hop off your little "hell-worshipper band wagon", please...its just ad nauseum.

Well, so far you've just been spouting off in this thread. I haven't seen anything in your posts relating to what "is written". If you'd like to discuss what the Word says on the subject, if you have some meat to put on the table, that would be great.

But if you just want to keep on shooting off your unsubstantiated "snippets of wisdom" denegrading those you don't agree with, I'm done with it.

Upvote 0

IamRedeemed

May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Come on....hell worshippers? :swoon:
What you speak in not truth of any kind but is falsehood.
Which is why you cannot support it with Scripture.

See what I mean Suede?
This is a good example from Highwayman of what I told
you in the last post occurs frequently from Unies because they
cannot support their doctrine with the Word of God
....the ad hominems begin...so soon too....

:doh:

hah, you see? My "prideful" wink. Yes, I am sure God is stirring the cauldron as we speak preparing to boil me for an Internet smilie.

I speak of the goodtruth, the divinetruth. If I am wrong than the truth belong to the hell-worshipers and the Demon-God, which is exactly what will be left. Not a very positive scenario by any means.

Upvote 0

IamRedeemed

May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yet another fine example of what I said in post #436
which was:

"You will see the same pattern throughout........ Scripture that refutes the doctrine is completely ignored time and time again, and the Unies end up resorting to ad hominem attacks, or off topic diversions, all kinds of strawmen etc., over and over ad nauseum."

and it occurs when Unies cannot provide a sound Scriptural exegesis for the doctrine. What Highwayman has done here though that is a first, is to admit that his own reasoning is held by himself ABOVE Scripture. We knew this already, but he is the first I have seen to admit it.

Highwayman, which Scripture or Scriptures are you referring to when you said that "Jesus himself explained we need to look deeper into what is written. "Saved" doesn't necessarily mean literally being saved from some hell dimension. Can it not mean being saved from our own wickedness and foolishness? Because we certainly all need that."

And John 3:16-19 as well as many other Scriptures refute what YOU say "Saved" 'doesn't necessarily mean.'

And the ever-present problem of seeking only scripture and not reason persists. You act as if these are the horrible rules that God is powerless to change, or that he simply does not care for the majority of his "children". Jesus himself explained we need to look deeper into what is written. "Saved" doesn't necessarily mean literally being saved from some hell dimension. Can it not mean being saved from our own wickedness and foolishness? Because we certainly all need that.

Upvote 0

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Well I really don't know where to begin, as pretty much everything that could have been misunderstood and twisted about my post has been misunderstood and twisted.

If you do not want discussion but just want to look at scripture that is fine. Others are already doing that, though I can still provide you with links upon links of endless scriptural evidence. If you honestly don't believe then just ask. We can silently pile books upon books of scripture against each other until the end of time.

But that is not why I came here. I am here to argue the practicality, logistics and righteousness of what you say. Nowhere do I say my reasoning is "above all others". If it is wrong then I'd like to see why it is wrong, from an argument based on other reasoning, your reasoning. Something which I have never seen happen when dealing with fundamentalists. At best you ignore what is really being said and conveniently spin the debate in a circle which allows you to continue not really thinking about the issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.