Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm trying to figure out which section of this site United Church of Canada attendees would use. I was thinking Presbyterian because the church I attend was a Presbyterian church in the early 1900's before the United Church of Canada?

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Could I answer considering I'm Canadian and have been attending a Presbyterian church (but not a member)?

The United Church of Canada, as you know, is moderated by an openly gay liberal and you might find folks of similar beliefs in the liberal forum. However, enclaves of conservative United Church members do exist. Are you a conservative or liberal? Many UCC churches have been influenced by Wesleyan doctrine so you might find kindred spirits among the Methodists.

jm

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see an obvious place, other than the Canada forum.

Specific congregations and individuals might well be Presbyterian, Reformed, or Wesleyan, and use those forums.

The problem with the United Church of Christ is that it is a specific Reformed denomination. It's not a united church in the sense that several countries use that term. It's a union of Reformed bodies. It doesn't seem to have any historical connection with the United Church of Canada. UC Canada is historically more connected with Presbyterians for those who retain that orientation.

The united churches generally seem to be what we'd call in the US Mainline, which is why I suggestion Moderate or Liberal.

Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
I was wondering myself that too because i go to a UCC. Although i go to a presbyterian Bible study and i can see a lot of common ground since UCC is presbyterian, methodist and congregational united.

So i guess i will post both on methodist and presbyterian.

I asked actually this question to the minister of the presbyterian church and he said there is not much difference anymore between those two since UCC was formed with 2/3 of the presbyterian.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
FYI: The statements of faith of both this group and the Reformed group are conservative. While this group is called Presbyterian, the largest Presbyterian bodies in both the US and Canada would not qualify by this group's official definition. The same is true of the Reformed group. The largest Reformed church in the US would not qualify. So these are by official definition actually *conservative* Presbyterian and *conservative* Reformed groups. There are no general-purpose Presbyterian or Reformed forums corresponding to the Lutheran, Methodist, and Restoration groups. Most members of the Presbyterian and Reformed forums are conservative, and are not receptive to the basic theological orientation of mainline churches such as the PC(USA), the United Church Canada, and the Presbyterian Church of Canada. There are certainly PC(USA) members who post here, but this might not be a comfortable place for UC Canada folks looking for a home.

The Methodist group includes in its definition pointers to a wide variety of Wesleyan groups, both conservative and mainline. I don't participate there, so I don't know the orientation of the membership. But if your congregation tends to Methodist theology, this might be appropriate for you.

While the United Church of Christ is a specific American denomination, so UC Canada doesn't fit according to the name, in fact it may be the closest of all the groups for UC Canada folks with a Presbyterian orientation. It is a mainline Reformed denomination, and thus is probably compatible theologically and in terms of church organization with the UC Canada. I doubt you'd have any problem with their faith statement, I'd guess the members would be friendly. It doesn't seem to be very active. (Yes, this contradicts my previous posting.)

The moderate and liberal forums should be OK for any mainline congregation. However moderate isn't very active, and liberal may be more liberal and more random than you want. The liberal forum is probably more active than most mentioned here, which might be an advantage in finding someone to talk with. Please check its groundrules (posted in a sticky message), since there are things you'd expect to be able to say in a liberal group that you can't say because of overall CF policies.

If there are several UC Canada people, you might want to pick one forum to use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
FYI: The statements of faith of both this group and the Reformed group are conservative. While this group is called Presbyterian, the largest Presbyterian bodies in both the US and Canada would not qualify by this group's official definition. The same is true of the Reformed group. The largest Reformed church in the US would not qualify. So these are by official definition actually *conservative* Presbyterian and *conservative* Reformed groups. There are no general-purpose Presbyterian or Reformed forums corresponding to the Lutheran, Methodist, and Restoration groups. Most members of the Presbyterian and Reformed forums are conservative, and are not receptive to the basic theological orientation of mainline churches such as the PC(USA), the United Church Canada, and the Presbyterian Church of Canada. There are certainly PC(USA) members who post here, but this might not be a comfortable place for UC Canada folks looking for a home.

The Methodist group includes in its definition pointers to a wide variety of Wesleyan groups, both conservative and mainline. I don't participate there, so I don't know the orientation of the membership. But if your congregation tends to Methodist theology, this might be appropriate for you.

While the United Church of Christ is a specific American denomination, so UC Canada doesn't fit according to the name, in fact it may be the closest of all the groups for UC Canada folks with a Presbyterian orientation. It is a mainline Reformed denomination, and thus is probably compatible theologically and in terms of church organization with the UC Canada. I doubt you'd have any problem with their faith statement, I'd guess the members would be friendly. It doesn't seem to be very active. (Yes, this contradicts my previous posting.)

The moderate and liberal forums should be OK for any mainline congregation. However moderate isn't very active, and liberal may be more liberal and more random than you want. The liberal forum is probably more active than most mentioned here, which might be an advantage in finding someone to talk with. Please check its groundrules (posted in a sticky message), since there are things you'd expect to be able to say in a liberal group that you can't say because of overall CF policies.

If there are several UC Canada people, you might want to pick one forum to use.

thank you. it will help.

i don't know what is their regard (united church of christ) about gay marriage, but the church I go accept them.

i will look more throughout about it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
thank you. it will help.

i don't know what is their regard (united church of christ) about gay marriage, but the church I go accept them.

i will look more throughout about it

Yes. The UCC was one of the first churches in the US to allow it. At this point all but one of the mainline churches in the US allow ordination of gays. I would assume most would also allow gay marriage, though mine (PCUSA) takes the somewhat weird position of allowing gays to have sex but not to marry.

However please be aware the discussion of gay-related issues is a sensitive issue in CF. I'd stay away from gay-related issues in this group completely. If you're interested in discussing the policy of US churches on this issue, I recommend the liberal forum (though the UCC forum should also work).

Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
Yes. The UCC was one of the first churches in the US to allow it. At this point all but one of the mainline churches in the US allow ordination of gays. I would assume most would also allow gay marriage, though mine (PCUSA) takes the somewhat weird position of allowing gays to have sex but not to marry.

However please be aware the discussion of gay-related issues is a sensitive issue in CF. I'd stay away from gay-related issues in this group completely. If you're interested in discussing the policy of US churches on this issue, I recommend the liberal forum (though the UCC forum should also work).

Yes i figured i should be careful about that and a lot if other topics.

I am not gay myself but i support the rights of people and i believe they are born this way to the contrary of choosing. That's about it.

Thanks again! :clap:

Upvote 0